Vestibular Migraine?

So we are learning what the balance issue is not, and have narrowed it down to the vestibular nerve. The MRA and MRI show no neuroma or tumor which is good.

So in doing research on the vestibular nerve I came across a great article on vestiblar migraines and the symptoms described me to a T.

Anyone else been diagnosed with vestibular migraines? If so what was your treatment?

They did note another small aneurysm and it is unchanged since my 2010 MRI, and we will continue to watch. This was news to me and my PCP, who ordered the orginal testing back in 2010. Humm.

Oh Laura I am sorry they found another aneurysm...but glad they found in order to watch...does that make sense?

I am so happy you shared this information...going to look up vestibular nerve...I was tested with balance issues and told it wasn't inner ear, crystals, etc., the neurologist said..."we know what it's not...therefore it is my aneurysm"...well that doesn't tell me anything... no treatment to date...just dealing with the issue...I think all are waiting for my angiogram in 2014...because of compaction of my coils...~ Thanks ... for the information...more pieces to the puzzle...~ wishing you a beautiful day ~ Colleen

Colleen,

The first neurologist I saw said it was ahead scratcher and had no idea, it was the neurologist at Stanford that said, looks like vestibular nerve issue. Now we need to figure out what that means and how to treat. Thus the testing.

Here is a link to article on vestibular migraines. Very interesting information -

http://www.mvertigo.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2392

Laura...

Thank you for sending this article...for some time I have been promoting research for all in the central nervous system... (CNS) (and/or cranial nerves (CN) ...those in the brain) ...

The CN VIII are the vestibulocochlear ... the first part is the vestibular...balance...how it is felt as our feet touch the ground...(so to speak) and, the second cochlear...the hearing...

I encourage all to have their vision and auditory testing...I came thru the minimally invasive coiling w/mass damage to eyes /ears...the cranial nerves...definitely not from the God-given minor aneurysm...

Again, thank you for providing this site...so hope it helps many others...

Pat

Pat, do you have any experience with vestibular rehab? That was mentioned and I can’t find much information on what is involved.

Laura

Laura...yes...thru vision therapy (VT)...somehow there is anatomically a connection to the CN VIII (vestibulocochlear) and CN III (oculomotor nerve) and, sometimes w/the CN VII...facial nerve...

I went thru 14 months of VT...from pain in my right eye/pupil muscles; to repaving all the eye muscles...At that time I was totally unaware of the connection of balance to anything but vision...not vestibular...would not have been able to pronounce it...

For VT... a main site: www.covd.org (College of Optometrists in Vision Development) then www.opt.indiana.edu/vtlit/vtlit.html; w/o my local...and, all these primary sites...I'd likely be dead from more bumps/bruises/broken glasses...

I was blessed, so blessed, in regaining a sense of coordination...I still must be careful walking down (not up) stairs/steps...especially if I am fatigued, etc...

I did not have vestibular rehab...nor did any neuro-doc recommend it... even when they knew of CN VIII vestibulocochlear damage...here, take another pill and calm down...

docs do not quickly address the issue(s) and get the treatment underway...however, that may help diminish the value of the minimally invasive coiling/stenting...

So much of these symptoms have been studied / storied...for any other cause...i.e. tumors and more...and. somehow, BAs are ignored...even tho same anatomy...

You may want to view www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12483117 and www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2357413 ... Each of these have a list aside of similar/same studies... NO, they will not likely address brain aneurysms...

These are diff than ours...except anatomy and symptoms...well, in my personal opinion...

When in the PubMed site...in their search site, can put in the various docs names...and, learn what all studies they have been involved in...

Our cranial nerves so overlap/connect/support and/or remain completely separate...of interest are the connections w/the facial nerve (CN VII) and oculomotor (CN III)...likely others...these are of interest to me...

Each time you view a site note specific words/names and research them...

Beg, plead...you f/up w/great success...keep us all informed...share more language of the hearing/vision...and, anything else helpful to other members...

I keep imagining the BAF main site will include so much more recovery data...vs swallowing a pill and/or suggesting we must be depressed...well, tho we might be as we continue to fall down stairs, etc...

Hugs and prayers for recovery success...I will continue to beg/plead in prayer...

Pat

Wow, Pat my doctor notes indicate CN III palsy (partial), CN VII palsy. How amazing is that, and now they suspect CN VIII has an issue.

Thank you so much for your help. I will research the links you sent and also mention it to the doctor when I see him.

I will definitely keep you posted.

Peace, Laura

Laura, seems to me the fact is...this should all be addressed as potentials to patients making their decisions... on open surg or minimally invasive...

CN III and VII do not surprise me at all...nor the delay in addressing CN VIII... but I ma hot-headed, w/no expertise in my opinions...

it will be a blessing if BAF will ever put this data on their main website...

Thanks for getting back so quickly w/the initial III and VII data...

Seems to me it would be so efficient to explain to patients/spouses/family of the potential issues...

Hugs...