Vestibular Issues are back

Hi there,

I am 7 years post stent for my left internal carotid artery aneurysm. In October I began feeling as if I’m on a boat again. I’ve been through this a few times and I’m told by my doctors that the vestibular issues are not related to my aneurysm. I have seen ENT’s, Neurologists, Physical Therapists, Therapists, Psychologists. I exercise regularly, I mostly stick to a well balanced healthy diet. I’ve taken supplements and aspirin. I’ve had massage therapy and acupuncture and nothing helps this state. My neurosurgeon decided that he would do an angiogram this year to check on it vs an MRA. I’m just completely frustrated. I never had these issues before. Has anyone who’s suffered from vestibular issues found anything that works to lessen the symptoms for you?

2 Likes

I always find it odd when we are told something can’t be related to our aneurysms when everything they test as for seem to be related to vestibular issues. Take falling, everyone always asks if I’ve fallen in the last six months. Now I have to report yes, twice but at least it wasn’t walking down the hallway like I used to do. Then they assess us for light sensitivity, anxiety, fear, etc. Can’t those all be vestibular issues? When I start walking like a drunk again, I know I haven’t hydrated well enough and reach for the Gatorade as it seems to help better than water. Maybe my electrolytes have decreased too much…

When is your angiogram?

3 Likes

I know exactly the feeling you’re talking about of being on a boat- a constant unsteadiness. I actually had a bad period of it several years before my aneurysm. It wasn’t until after my aneurysm, however, that I was recommended for eye therapy from the rehabilitation hospital that I was in through a Neuro- optometrist. They specialize in vision related disorders with various exercises, therapies and sometimes special glasses. It helped me, and then I was able to help my son who also suffers with this condition. He also has suffered with severe dyslexia most of his life, and I truly believe that this vision disorder, which is not usually checked, has contributed greatly to his condition. He continues with vision therapy online to keep things in check. It may be worth googling to see if there’s anyone in your area that does this. Again it’s a Neuro optometrist—different than an ophthalmologist, neurologist, or regular optometrist.

3 Likes

My angiogram is on January 9th. Its nice to know I’m not the only one dealing with this.

2 Likes

Thank you I will look into this!

I’ll keep my fingers crossed that the stent has stayed where it’s supposed to be and they find a reason for your vestibular issues.

@Patty6 sure made a great point! Hopefully you can also put that on your to do list and perhaps if you need a referral any one of your doctors can do it!

2 Likes

Hey mzahn,
My name’s Merl from the Modsupport Team.
I cannot count how many times I’ve heard that line “It’s not related…” Initially, post surgery, it was like walking on a waterbed mattress. There was a song back in the 80’s by Split Endz with the line “…six months in a leaky boat, lucky just to keep afloat…” And I was living it :laughing: I wasn’t like this before, so to say it’s unrelated?? How can it be unrelated??

My balance/equilibrium is still a mess, I go to stand too quickly, see stars and, if I don’t brace myself, I can find the floor with a thud. It’s not all of the time, but even years later, I still have to be aware.

I saw a chiropractor who put me through a process called the ‘Epley Manoeuvre’. Seemingly, (and I’m not an expert AT ALL) but we have tiny crystals in our ears and the way these crystals move informs the brain of our positioning. When those crystals are not aligned the messages get all mixed up. The idea behind this manoeuvre is that it realigns these crystals.
BUT
For people like you and I (and many/most of our members) there has been structural changes within our brains, including the change in blood flow, due to this it’s only logical that there would be after effects. No amount of ‘manoeuvring’ is going to change that. There are a few differing types of exercises that may assist from Epley to Semont to Foster to Brandt-Daroff. These are all various methods to assist/treat with benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV). My advice: Try them all, if one helps, that’s all you need.

BIG +1 for Patty’s suggestion of a neuro optometrist too. Here’s a link to an article I found a few years ago modernod.com/articles/2019-sept/when-to-refer-to-a-neuro-optometrist?c4src=article:infinite-scroll
Half way through that article is a "Brain Injury Vision Symptom Survey (BIVSS) " Now, it does state “For clinical use” but by doing so prior to an appointment, it can help identify issues. Here’s the survey link:
-BIVSS_clinical.use.28.item.version_09.17 (noravisionrehab.org)

Hope it helps
Merl from theModsupport Team

3 Likes

Same here… ENT, balance therapy, falls, vision disturbances…. I had an angiogram this week, 10 years post craniotomy. They feel that I have another aneurysm that has grown but needs treatment. I had no idea how painful the procedure was going to be. It was quite traumatic. Post test, my lead surgeon has not explained to me what my options are. I am very hard to sedate, but I felt dismissed during the 30 minute test that actually took 2hours+. I did not expect pain during or afterwards. WRONG! I’m still trying to process this as it seemed in humane. I did not have a ruptured aneurysm ever. . Did anyone else experience excruciating pain during the angiogram? They went through my wrist. I felt everything and was scared out of my mind. They described mine asa complicated Annie.? I should know next week what treatment my surgeon wants to recommend. The wait is making it even worse.

2 Likes

Waiting is always hard isn’t it? I’m a bit confuse on someone saying they “feel” and then saying you have a complicated aneurysm. Was the word “feel” used due to a CT or MRI and the angiogram confirmed it?

A complicated aneurysm could be location or type (blister or one with daughter sacks). Just a guess from what I’ve learned here from other members. Seems location is just as important in aneurysms as it is with real estate.

I’ve only ever had one angiogram that hurt and it was for my heart, not my brain. I told the cardiologist where the catheter was, mid torso. He turned white as a ghost and shot me up with some more of whatever he used. My Neurosurgeon is much better at keeping me comfortable. The more angiograms I’ve had the less anesthesia she uses and a good amount of pain killer as I have an abnormally high tolerance to pain. When I had my Neuroform Atlas stent put in, she went through the radial artery and the RNA, John, kept me in a happy place. It was probably my best experience with an angiogram. I think it must have been his cocktail that he used and I wish he’d been there for all my angiograms. John was the only RNA that told me he’d reviewed my history and spoke at length with my Neurosurgeon. My Neurosurgeon also does the diagnostic angiogram and then a week later, I get the repair. Six months later, another angiogram to see how the repair went.

Let your surgeon know how painful it was for you and explain in detail the pain. They may have hit a nerve going in. My Neurosurgeon did that once but it rectified itself in a week or so. She told us when she came to tell us the results.

I wish you all the best…

I’m nine years post op for an Annie in the right circle of Willis. I have been experiencing the same type of symptoms for some time now. I’ve also consulted many professionals and even had a couple of trips to ER. No one can offer much information. Staying hydrated and in cooler temperatures has helped. I too went to a chiropractor and had the movements to align the crystals in my ear snd it helped some too. I wish you the best.

2 Likes

Please let us know what your results are and what the Drs say. I also have times when I do the drunken sailor walk and have unfocused times. As Moltroub said I wasn’t hydrated enough. I feel somewhat better after I hydrate. I’m also 7 years out from 4 aneurysms. One where you said yours was. I’m just grateful I’m here. Please take care.

1 Like

Confirming that I’m having a second aneurysm repair with coiling. This procedure will require general anesthesia. It was confirmed with a angiogram, that was extremely painful and traumatic . My Neuro Surgeon doesn’t think balance issues are from the aneurysm or previous craniotomy. He is referring me back to my ENT, PCP once I recuperate from the coiling. Interestingly, it’s been flared up since my angiogram 11 days ago. Will be meeting with my Anesthesiologist tomorrow! Thanks you for your concern. Happy Holidays.

1 Like

I’ve had 5 angiograms (really 8 but for 3 I was sedated for flow diverter placement). I didn’t have pain. Once I had very mild discomfort at the catheter insertion site and they took it out and moved it, then pain free again. I’m also very sensitive to pain. I’d talk to him about it for the future and ask what they used. I think versed and fentanyl are common, and of course lidocaine at the insertion site. So sorry that happened to you. It’s very scary stuff so our comfort should be taken seriously.

2 Likes

I went to an ENT and tested and he said I was fine. Went to a balance center for help and fine there too. She only advised not to walk in the dark always have a light source.
Let us know what happens please.

1 Like

Hi. Since you started reexperiencing vestibular/ballance issues, have you undergone a videonystagmography (VNG) exam? That would seem like a logical thing to do after those symptoms reappeared. And if you did go through that exam after your symptoms resurfaced, did the examining physician draw any diagnostic conclusion? Thanks in advance.

1 Like

BTW, you also mentioned that you take supplements. Glad to hear that, so do I. Are you, therefore, familiar with this supplement regimen for vertigo? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCPrEZun6hY

Your comment about the role that the crystals in the inner ear play is so true. Some balance PTers also employ a very unique chair to address conditions associated with the inner ear crystals. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niK39Nvs3YU

1 Like