Venous aneurism

I have a tentative diagnosis of an isolated venous aneurysm (one off a vein and not an artery). It is 12 mm across. They are trying to figure what to do with it. I have symptoms of headache and nausea.
Apparently a venous aneurysm is very rare. The pressure inside a vein is lower than an artery but the walls are thinner too.
Anyone ever heard of such a thing?

Sean... we have heard of some types...(few veins vs arteries)...Were you told 'which' vein?

At the intersection of the vein of Galen and some main sinus vein.

Sean...a few members along the way have mentioned venous aneurysms...I did learn/know the veins carry blood out ...and the arteries bring blood in...and, they carry the same/similar name w/just arteries or veins reflecting the diff...

When you learn more, it would be great to share back here..

So I got a firm diagnosis of a venous varix which is an aneurysm on a vein. The neurologist said it is unlikely to rupture and not to worry about it. I’m thinking of following his advice but then I wonder whether to get a second opinion.

Sean..my only Q is what caused your initial diagnosis? You do note nausea and headache...

What continues...what has stopped...and, what - if anything - did the doc suggest to prevent N/HA's? To prevent...or treat?

Did he explain the anatomy of the vein by name / segment...and what structures, gray or white matter; is it near a/w/a which artery?

I am amazed at its being 12 mm...that is almost half an inch...my artery aneurysm was only 6mm across...

Sean... y'all know I have no expertise...I am in a wild - but dedicated - learning process...to begin to understand the b.s. (biz standards) of the health care industry...

Apparently it is an isolated venous varix with no arterial feeders. This is a very rare finding according to the medical literature I have found. While they have been known to rupture there is not enough data to come up with guidelines on how they should be treated. The journal articles I found said that the general approach is currently conservative which I guess means no treatment.

I guess they are right not to treat. I don’t like the idea that I have this thing in my head but I guess I will have to live with this.

Sean....I did search online and stuff did come up under the PMC...so I have learned a new word..and, it somewhat is associated in same as the AVMs...(the only term I knew at all re: venous)...

I viewed very few...the one had images of the little bulge (balloon?)...on it..

Thanks for sharing what you have...and, blessings to you for each step that is right for you...You may want ot consider a second opinion...or ask your current neuro-doc more questions...

Thank you so much. I’m currently in the fence about the second opinion. My partner wants me to just let sleeping dogs lie. I am not sure. I think I will go to a neurosurgery center at the local university medical center which is fairly well-known.

Sean...best wishes...for your right - comfort providing - decision...keep us posted...

Sean,

While I waited I took two supplements, rutin and olive leaf extract, which are vein and artery support supplements. My aneurysm was .7 mm smaller many months later when I had surgery. Did the supplements cause the shrinkage? I don’t know, but I felt proactive taking them. I won’t be able to take them again until I stop taking Plavix and aspirin, because the combination with these supplements would thin my blood too much.

I originally took rutin with magnesium, because I read that this combination helped to lessen pain for folks who had chronic pain conditions, also had anti-inflammatory properties, which I needed, because I could not tolerate NSAIDs which were tough on my digestion.

My two cents, I think this is serious enough to warrant a second opinion.

Best,

Elle

Campanile... have you had (know about?) the CRP blood test...the C-Reactive Protein?

I have no record of it on any of my blood tests...and, am doing more research on it...

CRP is something that goes high in inflammatory conditions like rheumatoid arthritis. Not sure if it goes up with lupus as well.

Sean...what I have read (so far) is to "detect inflammation" ..and CRP is an acute phase reactant...a protein made by the liver and released into the blood w/in a few hours after tissue injury...the start of an infection, or other cause of inflammation...

Some of us have been given the full-body CTA after initial ultrasound - full body...put on antibiotics etc etc... So...for me, it has opened more doors...

Patio,
No one has ever done this test for me

Campanile...nor for me...it was ironic on how I came across this data...not from my records..