Thought ya'll would be interested in this;

this is from california psychics regarding how to create positive change w/a brain injury.

Speak Up: Create Lasting Change January 21, 2012 at 12:00 am

By Carmen Honacker

Change Your Life and Brain With Meditation

Suzanne from Falkland, Canada Asks:

Carmen, I have a damaged brain due to trauma and past lifestyle issues. As diligent as I can be with trying new things to change “behavioral ruts,” I only get so far before I stop. I know change is slow at times and the universe is on my side. Do you have any suggestions on how to feel “whole,” after trauma that has been a part of my life for forty years? Many thanks for considering my query.

Dear Suzanne,

I firmly believe that we can overcome past trauma and that past “wrong” choices can be corrected. So let me share what I actually know and what has been scientifically proven.

When neuroscientists studied the brains of Franciscan nuns and Tibetan monks, they found that the part of the brain that controls our time, space and depth perception, usually the most active part of our brain, would go completely blue and green for those in a very deep meditative state. In other words, these people really do become part of the universe. Furthermore, they also found that consistent meditative practice not only actively changes the brain’s chemistry and rewires the neurological pathways, but meditation—get ready for this one—changes your genes! The studies I have read and followed for a few years now, are so compelling and conclusive that I have decided to get on boat and start regular meditation again. Meditation gets rid of anxiety, stress and depression and actively creates peace. Monks are living a more peaceful life, because their brains are actually truly more peaceful!

The only thing with meditation, just like anything else in life, is that it requires practice and dedication. The good news is that they have noticed changes in brain chemistry for people who have meditated a mere eight weeks. So the longer you do it, the better the results.

“Meditation is key to a stress-free balanced spiritual life. Think of meditation like food. We have to have food to give us physical energy. We need meditation to give us spiritual energy.” – Lacy ext. 5494

Go and find a yoga studio or something of the like, or look for meditation places online in your area. There are plenty of places which won’t even necessarily charge for meditation classes. By the way, they found the same is true for prayer! Franciscan nuns use prayer instead of meditation, and yet they go into the same peaceful state the Buddhist monks did when they monitored their brain activity.

I really feel that it doesn’t matter what we may have endured and what choices we may have made in the past. We can always change our course. Each day, the universe is giving us new possibilities and a new, clean canvas to create upon again. Our reality truly is what we make it. I know it’s difficult to get out of a rut, trust me; I haven’t meditated in ten years, because I’ve had all kinds of stories and excuses as to why I can’t or won’t do it. Hence, I will give you one simple change of thought. Instead of “I should be meditating,” try to simply say, “I COULD be meditating.” Start the process and you’ll find that you can overcome anything. The good news is, it takes a mere two weeks to form a habit, and only ten minutes of meditation a day makes a difference! Good luck, my dear friend, and don’t get encouraged. It’s always a good time to start anew.

“There are so many ways to connect to sacred space, meditation is just one of them. I like to light incense and put on music, then turn out the lights and sit and just listen. Sometimes I just go out into the woods with a thermos of tea, or drive at night in the desert with no music and all the windows open. Anything that allows you to be in direct contact with the divine source will bring you back to center.” – Yemaya ext. 5143

1 Like

how do you meditate? my mind goes 1,000 miles per minute and i can't possibly slow it down.

i don't know that i could even if i tried w/3 kids, 3 dogs and 3 cats. i don't have anywhere quiet to go and if i do, by chance, have a room to myself, a cat's ass is in my face. the dogs love when i sit down too because that's prime time to get a back scratch.

and there's never quiet in my house. if it's not the kids fighting, it's the dogs and/or the cats.

but my main problem is - i feel trappen within my thick skull. i'm so moody and contemplative lately and i can't seem to see past myself. that's not to say my kids and furkids aren't cared for. it's just that, well, i can't really articulate it.

Hahaha...I am like Kathy...I have a meditation tape...after the breathing portion, I start thinking 50 million things and say...this is not relaxing...but I believe it does help, if one can train one's mind ... !

Thank~you for sharing...!

i fall asleep tryin to meditate so i can't meditate asleep

Hi Colleen,

I admit that I've not yet made meditation a consistent practice, but I do try to meditate from time to time. In the past, I would get discouraged because so many thoughts were intruding. However, recently I learned something that is making it easier to do. The instructor told us not to expect that our mind would go or stay completely "silent". So, when some stray thought barges in, we should address it and say "go away", "not now". It does help.

This is among the many "good practices" that I will have more time for when I retire. :-)

Take care.

Carole

I used to do yoga and meditate. I felt the best and strongest, most centered in my life. So I quit. :slight_smile:

I can give you a suggestion Kathy…Go sit in your bath tub (with or without water) with the door locked!

A suggestion for those of you who are more game than I seem to be…Here’s a trick that used to work for me. I too have a mind that travels at the speed of sound. Light a candle and focus on the blue part of the flame just above the wick. Keep your focus there, without letting your eyes wander at all. Breath deeply while you are focusing. It’s kind of cool. Pretty soon the background in the room disappears and all you see is the blue spot of the candle and everything else goes dark. Have a hand on top on each leg laying palms up with your middle finger touching your thumb…on both sides/hands. Remember to try and breathe slow and steady, while keeping your eyes on that spot.

If I just try to clear my mind without a point of focus, I found it harder.,the candle works great to distract our thoughts and channel our focus, while we steady our breath and allow our minds to empty. If you care…Worth a try. :slight_smile:

I don’t meditate I have never tried it. I have a calm app that I use from time to time. It helps me to focus on the sound to relax my mind. I journal everyday at night before bedtime. It helps to type thoughts down then I print it out and tape it in notebook with inspiring pics or words I found in magazine or FB. Or I draw some thing which I am a terrible at drawing but it helps

Thanks for sharing what you do! You found a very old topic that was back in 2012! You can tell because the last reply says “Jan ‘12” which means January 2012. The first post was also in January 2012. As always I will close it tomorrow if no one responds.