Texas declares September as Brain Aneurysm Awareness Month

All,

It has been a while since I posted anything and I know we have new members. What are we doing in Texas? We went before the Texas State Legislature and they read a resolution declaring September as Brain Aneurysm Awareness Month. Obviously, the resolution is to raise awareness throughout Texas of the dangers of brain aneurysm and increase public awareness of the symptoms and treatments available.

We have set September 24, 2011 as our day in Ft Worth (Trinity Park) to come together, share stories and enjoy the Texas heat as we participate in a timed 5k and a 1 mile fun run.

My story......I lost my son Taylor Mangham at the very young age of 15, January 19, 2010. I speak with many adults on a weekly basis to raise awareness and must share a statement a man said regarding brain aneurysms, "if you have an aneurysm, you are just going to die anyway." I was outraged and since I have lots of printed material from our past walk in January 2011, I gave him information to read. Hopefully, he will take the time to understand the symptoms and treatments available through early detection. It is unfortunate but I believe there are many that believe such which only shows their stupidity.

Dana

yippeeeeee! way to go!

Dana…what you are doing in memory of your son is amazing…God Bless you … and I know…I just know that Taylor is looking down at you “so proud of his mom”…Big cyber ~ hugs Colleen

Dana...congratulations on all your efforts...your results are grand...the memory of your son drives it...has driven so much more than anything / anywhere... I am so pleased, so delighted for you....your results.

When will you run for governor?

Hugs,

Pat

Thank you for the kind replies! Pat, you are a doll. Since appearing before the house, it has been an uphill battle getting the message out, I didn’t realize how big Texas was! :-). If I knew I could make a difference as Governor and demand screening at various ages throughout our life cycle then I would jump on that bandwagon in a heartbeat. I have reached out to most all Chamber of Commerces throughout the surrounding cities of Keller and from there I am hitting up the police stations and fire stations; they always like a good challenge! I am super excited about our upcoming event in September. I pray it makes a difference and from it we continue to grow and touch lives. I hope you all are doing well! Dana

Wow…Dana you are amazing…Your son Taylor is alive in you…and proud of his mom…me too…proud of what you are doing for all of us survivors…God Bless to you…Cyber ~ hugs Colleen

Dana,--------I would love to join you on your walk, as on 9-24 is the 1 year anniversay of my aneurysm, but I am quite a few miles away from you. Will be thinking of you & your son on that day. Strange how this disease is so unknown unless it happens to you. Even my own family!

Will be thinking of you & in my prayers.

Aggie

Hello Dana, My heart goes out to you and your family. My 12-year-old son Shade suffered a hemorrhagic stroke from a burst aneurysm one month ago. He was visiting his sister in San Antonio at the time. We are from Orlando. My wife and I are currently at Santa Rosa Pediatric Rehab Center in San Antonio, living in the hospital as he very slowly recovers. We're probably going to be here through next month until he's able to fly back home. I've documented his entire journey so far at http://shadesprogress.com/

Thank you for your huge efforts to promote September as Brain Aneurysm Awareness Month. Do you know of any groups in San Antonio that are getting involved?