Taste Changes

In 2016 I had my coiling along with a stint done. Since then there are certain foods I can no longer eat. I used to love grilled pork chops. Now the thought and smell makes my stomach turn. There are a few other foods that I just no longer can eat. Some family members think I’ve gone crazy. Is this due to the coiling/stint? Anyone else experiencing this?

2 Likes

I used to not like cole slaw but after having my aneurysm coiled (after it ruptured/SAH), I now like it. Fortunately, there is nothing that I can’t eat. For 30+ years I avoided cole slaw so my family can’t get used to seeing me eat it now. The surgery also resulted in me being very emotional all the time. I will often start crying for no reason at all.

1 Like

Since my husband’s rupture three years ago, he has had several of the type of changes you mention. He now has 2 sugars in his coffee and he used to take it with nothing. Now he will eat bananas which he used to dislike, he can eat now eggs without his stomach getting upset. He used to like asparagus and now he doesn’t. You are not alone in noticing taste changes.

1 Like

So glad I found this site. I also have taste changes. Some things I loved I can no longer eat and food I disliked I now enjoy - sadly one of my previous dislikes was chocolate - now I love it and it shows🤐

2 Likes

I had my aneurysm coiled, a stent put in and an artery closed off. Since then I can’t walk as I have stroke like symptoms but am having physio for that ,was doing okay with a walker when I fell and broke my arm. The worst bit is that i can’t eat—no appetite and everything I try is tasteless or just putrid. Are there any folks out there who suffer the same ??

1 Like

This is going to sound crazy, but, try things you don’t like. It could be that you like them now. Taste changes are not unusual. Are you on any meds? Have you checked them for side effects like funny tastes?

azurelle

1 Like

Thank you . I’ve tried things I liked and things I didn’t like but taste just isn’t there. Milk and eggs are really the only things that haven’t changed. This happened originally 7 Years ago after cancer treatment. Much worse now though. :pensive:

1 Like

Things either taste too salty or too sweet since my aneurysm. The first meal I had at the Neuro ICU was teriyaki chicken, and it tasted really salty to me. But, then I noticed other things, such as chips, French fries, crackers, -they all taste too salty! I only need a sliver of cake before it feels like I’ve had enough sugar. I don’t feel like eating candy anymore. Everything tastes more intense. I like green vegetables a lot more than I used to, -but with less salt, less soy sauce…

1 Like

Hi Shona
I see you are in Scotland, as am I. Like you I have found that there is no support whatsoever it seems. Were you treated in Glasgow? I was diagnosed in March this year and thus far, have had only an eight minute discussion with consultant. I have asked for a change of consultant in the hope that my fears will be listened to. My aneurysm is on pericallosal artery (anterior communicating artery) and is small, but the research I have undertaken indicates that, due to it’s position, there is risk of rupture, even if small. This,ctigether with ongoing symptoms really scares me. I hope you continue to recover, slowly and surely, like you say - baby steps. Take care
Cadia

Sorry in my delay in answering but just got out of the hospital yesterday after having another procedure done. My “beast” was huge and was still growing after the first procedure so they put another stent in try and stop it filling up more although the swelling in the brain has been very disheartening and I’m very dizzy and having to learn to walk yet again . I went the the Southern ( Queen Elizabeth) neourosciences dept and I can honestly say they were wonderful . I only wish that the communication between Wishaw and the Southern was more positive as it’s awful having to wait so long. If your Aneurysm is small they might just monitor it but if you are having any trouble at all get back to your g.p and get him/her on to it. It’s a scary business and I hope you get some scans done soon.
Keep me up to date and I’ll try and help and not frighten you. Bless :pray::pray:xxx

Hi Shona

So sorry to hear you had further difficulties and hope it’s sorted this time. I have no doubt of the skills and care in QEUH, it is just that my journey has been so difficult. Whilst this horrible thing in my head is small, it appears that, due to the position in the brain, it is at risk of rupture even when small. The consultant I was initially referred to had marked urgent on my file in April. Unfortunately, he experienced a bereavement and I agreed to see another consultant in May. This was a horrific experience, due to his dismissive attitude. I was given no information at all. Then, his secretary was dismissive also. I requested to see the first surgeon, which was agreed,but then received 2 letters from the one I did not wish to see. I was ready to use the complaints procedure, but today called the unit again and have been given an appointment next Tuesday, which is an immense relief. Hopefully the information I need will be provided then. You have really been through the mill. I take it you were treated as an emergency? Thanks so much for getting back to me. It is so awful to have this hanging over you and being scared all the time.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery

C

If it’s the Southern you are going to you will see either Aslam Suddiqui or Nigel Suttner . Suttner does clipping , not too keen on him . Aslam is delightful likes a joke or two , he goes through the groin and does the coiling and I can’t talk highly enough of him . At least you now have a date which is good . Just go with the flow .lots to take on board mind you . My beast is on the brain stem which had caused so many problems but I’m here today all be it discombobulated but I’m sure it will get better . Good luck ,I’ll be thinking of you :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:xx

Hi Shona

My goodness - on the brain stem! My appointment is indeed at the institute of neurological sciences at QEUH ( the old Southern). My first appointment was with consultant neurosurgeon Mr Barrett, which was awful. Will be seeing Mr Grivas next week and hoping he is more amenable to discussion. This must have been an extremely worrying time for you and your family. I really hope the worst is now over for you and it’s the hard work of rehabilitation that is all you have to do now. Onwards and upwards :smiley:

C

I haven’t heard of those two but I’m sure after your scans you will be told exactly what is going to happen next . My beast was so big and dangerous that dr Siddiqui and a Dr Rennie from Belfast tried all over the World to find an answer to no avail except for a German Professor who although he has seen huge aneurysms he had no data on anyone who survived this . So , he suggested putting in another stent as a wee bit more scaffolding and thats what I have had done. The other two was certain death or huge stroke so far apart from a dizziness I’m surviving . Early days and I’ll be back in three months for further scans , I’ve got a season ticket lol . Try not to worry too much ,it will get sorted out and ask ask ask if you aren’t sure what they are talking about. It’s everyday speak to them . It’s a rough journey but I managed to walk with my trusty four wheel drive yesterday lol … every little thing is progress . Keep me posted and the very best of luck xx

Meant to ask which hospital first diagnosed your beastie?? Mine was found on a CT scan , told it was high risk of rupture but Wishaw and southern aren’t good at communicating. That was way back in April and June before I saw anybody . :crossed_fingers:t3::crossed_fingers:t3:

Hi Shona

My goodness, you really have had a tough time, but hopefully the worst is behind you now. So glad to hear you are back on your feet, albeit with assistance. You sound like a resilient, determined person, which I am sure will help in your recovery. I have had CT and MRI scans. My difficulty lay with the dismissiveness of the first neurosurgeon I met, who did not listen to my concerns, or take cognisance of ongoing symptoms. This was in stark contrast to the initial surgeon having noted “urgent” on my file. The situation was worsened further by the first surgeon’s secretary telling me “not to get my hopes up” when I asked when I would be discussed at MDT. Following that, I contacted the patient experience team and was later informed that I would revert back to Mr Grivas. Then, I received 2 letters, from the surgeon I did not wish to deal with. Following a telephone call to the general manager’s PA, I finally was given an appointment with Mr Grivas. This has been ongoing since March and has been extremely distressing. All I want at this stage is to be provided with appropriate advice as I have no idea how to live my life, for example, prior to this happening to me, I was fit, working with a personal trainer and have not taken any exercise since ( I had thunderclap headache when lifting weights). I also do not know if I should be informing DVLA, or if I can travel by air. I am hopeful that my questions will be answered on Tuesday. My problems are nowhere near as traumatic as your experience, but still scary for my family and I. Many best wishes and good luck in your recovery journey!

C

Hi Shona

Just noticed that you had asked which hospital diagnosed. Long story - Inverclyde Royal Hospital, where I went 4 days after onset as I thought I had experienced exertion headache as was working out when symptoms started. CT scan overseen by QEUH noted aneurysm. Was admitted, lumbar puncture, remained in hospital for 5 days, extremely dizzy with headache. On discharge, was told referral was made to Mr Grivas. After discharge, symptoms continued, GP had me readmitted for further CT, then discharged again. I discovered that local hospital had not forwarded referral, which was sitting on the system. Mr Grivas’ secretary printed off and put forward to be processed. Since then (April) it has been a nightmare in relation to provision of information/advice. After posting on care opinion, have had contact with patient experience team, which has been helpful. My post on care opinion is under the pseudonym “scaredeycat” in which I provide a chronology of events. I hope you have been able to use your 4X4 today again and your dizziness is alleviated soon. Take care.

C

OMG! Yes! People think I make this shit up!! I can’t eat meat as much, it tastes off! I can taste chemicals in pre-packaged foods, and honestly I can’t enough things that are green! I think my brain took over lol!

2 Likes

How are things with you now ?? I’m practically bed ridden these days because of the dizziness and now I’m sick :nauseated_face:. Can’t eat either and I’m trying to drink water but it tastes rank . Side of my face is frozen still . I don’t know if I would have had these procedures done if I had known the after effects would be so awful .I know I would die but there are some days I wish I was ,
Stupid I know but I’m so fed up :disappointed::disappointed::disappointed: Shona

Did you have a frozen face after your procedure . It feels like you have been to dentist and you are defrosting :fearful: