“Survivor”

I’ve been reading some positive success stories and some articles for brain aneurysm topics and I’m noticing that it says for example that “survivors” may feel fatigued after treatment of the aneurysm due to basically your brain being messed with.

But they aren’t talking about me, right? Would you call me a survivor? My aneurysm hasn’t ruptured. I’m scheduled for this 7mm sucker to be either coiled or stented or ballooned or a combo of whatever on the 31st.

When they say survivor do they specifically mean those who had an aneurysm rupture? I kind of feel strange being referred to as such, Maybe I haven’t fully processed all of this yet… or maybe they do mean just those who had an aneurysm rupture.

What are your thoughts?

Great question @MamaJeri! My thoughts are this for what they’re worth…definitely a survivor if one has ruptured and lived to tell their story, no doubt about that. Our surgeons definitely get a gold star. Most everything I have read over the years simply give this label to the ones who ruptured.

Incidental finds that have been repaired, I feel that they are also survivors as they did survive the procedure and a lot of things can happen along that route. I’m sure many ruptured survivors may disagree with me on this, but they’re my thoughts. I feel anyone who has survived brain surgery of any type get the label.

For those who have an incidental finding but either don’t need a procedure as the aneurysm is being watched or those yet to have one, I don’t feel fit into the survivor category as yet.

As for fatigue…it can be caused by a lot of things. When I think of your story with the date, then cancellation and reset of date…my thoughts are stress related fatigue. Remember I’m not in the medical field and have never been a doctor, it’s just my guess and experience of having procedure dates.

All the best,
Moltroub

Hello @MamaJeri
I have the same thoughts on this as @Moltroub . Survivor is definitely a description of us who survived a rupture, the odds for survival is often not in our favor as we can learn from the statistics. The neurological damage and difficulties in the aftermath comes from the damage caused by the bleeding in the brain.
It’s a good thing to do some research, but try not to worry too much. When I was waiting for my second procedure with stent and coils after my initial rupture, I was worried too. My neurosurgeon told me that this was going to be a much easier procedure, and he was right. I was a bit tired for a while but no other symptoms. I felt a huge relief knowing that the aneurysm had been fully repaired and hopefully it will last. I’m now four months away from the last procedure and I feel fine, walking 3 miles five days a week and back to almost normal.
While I was waiting for the day of the surgery to come I read many stories from other members in this group and it helped a lot.
I will be thinking of you on the 31st.

1 Like

Thanks so much @oct20 for reminding us that @MamaJeri is having her procedure tomorrow! Wouldn’t you know it I forgot🤪

@MamaJeri do something fun and relaxing today. Don’t forget to keep hydrated for tomorrow! And when you get back home, keep hydrated and eat protein…need it for our brains to heal. Ask the Resident or MD tomorrow how much of each you need.

Best of luck and please come back to let us know how the procedure went!
Moltroub