Stent for Partner Wed, Jan 14

My partner had a ruptured aneurysm on Oct 7, 2014. She had the coiling proceedure on the 8th which was successful. She was in intensive care for 21 days and had an awesome team of neurosurgeons, neurologists and nurses. They put a drain in her skull the first night to relieve pressure for surgery. Within a week the head drain stopped and they tapped her spine which was successful. Home 4 weeks with pt and then back to work part time. The first follow up MRI was a month after she got out of the hospital. Her [our]neurosurgeon found a "neck" on the corner of the coiled aneurysm. Very nervous but surgery is on wed, Jan 14. Same procedure thru her thigh, up thru vessels and a stent will be inserted. This time 2 days in ICU and 3 in med/sug - or lets say this is what is scheduled. Major surgery but nothing like the ruptured BA. Any input?

Nancy - my partner had to go through my rupture and a second coiling. The second was really a walk in the park. We didn’t know if my doc would have to go through my skull or not, but she was able to coil it. No helicopter ride, no ICU. I even got to stop at the tea shop in Winston we found one trip. For me, the aggravating thing is the femoral artery which is not healing the way I want it to. And then there’s the weeks of seeming like its a major setback when all it is is the anesthesia. It will wear off.

My partner is on the Caregivers FB, says it’s very supportive! There’s a link on the main page here I believe.

This will be much simpler to the rupture and hemorrhage. He will be knocked out for it but I had a stent and coiling done on a second annie 6 months after my rupture and it is much more straight forward than the weeks I spent in hospital with a drain coming out of my brain.

the main downside was I was put on plavix (blood thinner) about a week before the stenting to prevent clots and had to stay on it for 6 months. It makes you bruise pretty easy and the bruises can look quite nasty. Is he on plavix?

I didn't have a rupture, just the coiling and the stent at the same time. ICU for 2 days, then another day on the neuro ward. Like Sharong stated, on Plavix, but mine was only for 3 months because I had the followup at 3 months which showed the stent and coils were good. I had severe fatigue and awful headaches, but both of these faded in time (especially the headaches). I had no consciousness until 24 hours after the surgery and my neuros were prescribing everything for the headache, but nothing was working. I kept asking for Fioricet (some people here suggested it to me beforehand) and when I finally got it, that and Oxycodone 5 mg. controlled them. By a month afterward, they were gone.

Your partner will be fine. The worst part is staying on your back, not being able to move until they remove the catheter in her groin. They didn't remove mine until 4 pm Tuesday after my 7 am surgery on Monday.

Sherri Long said:

I didn't have a rupture, just the coiling and the stent at the same time. ICU for 2 days, then another day on the neuro ward. Like Sharong stated, on Plavix, but mine was only for 3 months because I had the followup at 3 months which showed the stent and coils were good. I had severe fatigue and awful headaches, but both of these faded in time (especially the headaches). I had no consciousness until 24 hours after the surgery and my neuros were prescribing everything for the headache, but nothing was working. I kept asking for Fioricet (some people here suggested it to me beforehand) and when I finally got it, that and Oxycodone 5 mg. controlled them. By a month afterward, they were gone.

Your partner will be fine. The worst part is staying on your back, not being able to move until they remove the catheter in her groin. They didn't remove mine until 4 pm Tuesday after my 7 am surgery on Monday.