Some strategies for Aphasia

I have been recently seeing a speech pathologist and she has given me some useful strategies to help with getting speech back. I thought I would share!
Activities to Enchance Word Finding.pdf (4.2 MB)

1 Like

Excellent advice, even better is the ability for all of us to either print or save! Thank you and please thank your ST!

2 Likes

You are very welcome. We all need to help and support each other. I am just happy I can contribute, and my speech therapist says anything to help. :smiley: :+1: :mega:

1 Like

Thank you for the share!

1 Like

@Moltroub
@JonAndrewA
Every Friday I go to my speech pathologist. She is amazing and fun. I told her I was playing scrabble online, doing crosswords, and working on my executive function skills (lists of things to do). Those skills deal with lists, prioritizing and using an agenda. This week we worked on word association, and we played Taboo. The crosswords are tiring, so I try to do one in the morning and one in the afternoon. With the scrabble online, I put the word down and then try to come up with the definition and synonyms for that word.

I had to learn to speak on the phone again, enunciate, breathe and speak slowly. It was embarrassing and hard work in the beginning. My ST got me over the embarrassing part. I also had to prioritize and make lists, besides the big rule of looking at the calendar on my phone each morning to see what appointment I need to go to.

The ST my first one got me in to see, so I could get the FAS diagnosis, taught me to tap a rhythm or use my hand as a conductor to keep my cadence of words which helped stop the robotic sound I’d developed with no affect.

1 Like

I know if I speak too fast, I start jumbling my speech. Sometimes I feel embarrassed also because when I speak, I lose my words and I keep searching for them but can’t find them. My partner gets quite frustrated with that. Here is some resources from my ST on Friday.

Aphasia - Semantic Feature Analysis - Target Word Map.pdf (16.9 KB)

Deductive Reasoning Puzzles_organized.pdf (91.1 KB)

1 Like

I was just put in to start with ST, very excited. I am the same… get too fast and fall apart, get stressed and its worse… then its just s snowball. I cannot believe I forget to breathe when talking…

New skills coming!

2 Likes

@JonAndrewA
I hope you have as much fun at ST as I am having. I am excited for you! My speech pathologist makes it fun with a lot of games and puzzles. I have some pre-frontal cortex damage, so we are working on executive functioning as well. She is awesome.

1 Like

Breathing is really important😂. My first ST had me cooking! We had to improvise on the sopapillas, the best ever are in Santa Fe NM at Maria’s. I must’ve done something wrong with all the flipping in hot oil as I earned a new rule…no cooking unsupervised🤣. She liked them well enough to make them at home though!

Ooh, sopapillas are the best! That’s one of the foods that really impressed me when we were on our honeymoon. Even though I have a strict no deep frying policy, I did do it a few times at home. Deep frying scares me for the explosion possibilities, not the fat content lol

Sharon

Cooking scares me a bit as I tend to not pay attention to what’s cooking. I put it on and then I get distracted by something else and focus on it and forget about what’s cooking. I have definitely been close to burning lots of food. My lesson is if you are cooking never leave the kitchen! I have managed to save a lot of food…and the only way that happens is when I smell it!

You crack me up! What’s not to love about a puffed up piece of flour tortilla drizzled with honey and sprinkled with cinnamon? Yes ma’am, the explosion possibilities are there with hot oil. I burned some home fries one time decades ago…the pan caught on fire. I couldn’t find the flour but dumped a 5 lb sack of sugar on. The small kitchen smelled sweet even after I repainted🤣

@Suszanne when I earned my no cooking unsupervised rule, Dad was still alive and we had to stay with him as Mom was in the ICU at our local hospital. Dad didn’t want to sit where he could watch me and called me into the living room. I burned the hot dogs he wanted for lunch. We ate them anyways and when BH came home from work we earned a lecture to beat all lectures. BH even snitched on us to my ST and Neurosurgeon! I hardly ever leave the kitchen now when I’m cooking, can’t say never as I did yesterday and scorched the bottom of the pot. I forgot it was on and became busy with packing. I scrubbed that pot like mad before BH got home​:crazy_face::rofl:

1 Like

My ST and i went over other strategies for communication that I will share with you.

I use many of these and I hope this will help others!

2 Likes