So. Many. Questions

Hello! Thanks so much for inviting me into the network.

My aneurysm (13mm) was found a month ago by chance on my MRI.

On Monday I met with the neurosurgeon assuming that it wasn't large enough to be alarmed and perhaps he'd just want to "keep an eye on it".

Not so much...

He went over all the options for fixing it and told me that the surgery was the best way to go.

So, for the last 48 hours I've done nothing but fill my head with questions. I'm social scientist so I need to research everything and probe for answers to my questions.

This is what I have so far:

The sx: How long does it take? Do most people experience horrible headaches after coming out of anesthesia? (I ask because I've headaches my whole life and want to know what to expect). While recovering in the hospital, how long until you'll be able to so some things on your own (Walk, bathroom, talk, eat, etc)

Recovery: I was told 4-6 weeks. Is this the average? What are the time frames for benchmarks in recovery? What should I limit the most? I live alone and have pets. Will I be able to care for them when I get home? What kind of issues in recovery should I be concerned about (pain, loss of functions, speech, etc)

Preparing for coming home: I'm an adjunct professor so I'm actually hoping that my dr will ok me waiting until this semester is over in June. Is there anything I should prepare at home? What kinds of things will I need on hand? Will I be able to be home alone at the beginning? Like I said, I live alone and I do have some support but I don't think enough to have someone with me at home 100% of the time.

My concerns: Is there a % for people having a stroke during sx?

I'm terrified of having life-long effects in my motor skills and speech. I am not a sedentary person and I know recovery is going to be very hard for me when I want to do stuff.

I paint, draw, knit, etc..I'm worried about not being able to do these things while in recovery and after.

This is all I have for now...

I've started a notebook writing down everything I think I'll need to prepare and all my questions.

Sorry this is a LOT!

Any input would be greatly appreciated. :-)

Irma, depending on whether you are going to have coiling or clipping will determine recovery times. I am 44 and i survived a ruptured aneurysm 3 1/2 years ago. My family and neurosurgeon decided to clip my aneurysm, since i was younger and healthy, and felt i could handle the invasiveness of this type of surgery. The titanium clip lasts a lifetime, where as, coiling may have to be repeated but is much less invasive. I did do well but was in neuro ICU for 3 1/2 weeks after surgery. The chances of having a stroke directly after are higher. I survived and am an active Realtor with very active 9 and 11 year old children and husband.
I would suggest having someone with you when you return home at least part of the time. Getting my energy back was more difficult than I would have liked. I have had no cognitive or physical issues. Maybe lack of energy the first few months afterwards and learning how to exercise with my new bionic brain (lol) - i figured out high impact gives me a headache for a day or so afterwards so low impact for me now.
Take it one day at a time and remember that slow and steady wins the race. Meditation, prayer and visualizing my body healing daily got me home to my family - along with a wonderful neurosurgeon, lots of prayers and support!
Please let me know and I will send you prayers and support!

Irma, many of your questions depends on your self, the way you perceive life, ability to set goals, and your health.

Length of time in procedure room depends on coiling or craniotomy, location of and type of aneurysm, the skill of the team, and of course any complications.

My first ruptured and so the experience doesn’t apply here. My second was an overnight stay and back home. Fatigue is the norm from what I gather from other members. It certainly was for me. I was able to do everything I did before the second coiling. However, that being said, there is a weight limit if you’re coiled due to the groin entry into the main artery. I developed a huge hemotoma and had lots of restrictions for months.

The anesthesia makes me fuzzy for a long time but in fairness this could be due to my having ruptured the first time. Perhaps others from the unruptured group could better answer.

I believe six weeks is what I’ve read for recovery from procedure without complications. Again, someone from unruptured group would be a better personal source.

Since you own pets, get their food stockpiled before you go in. My weight limit was five pounds. But I could barely pick up two - who knew how much your groin is involved in lifting?

If you have dogs, you might want someone to come in and walk them. For me, walking our dog was more difficult due to fuzzy thinking, the need to go slow and her two year need to “walk it out”. But she has made recovery fantastic! I never sat long before, but she will cuddle with me and if I over do it, she will stand on my lap when I sit down. Glad she is only 36 pounds!

You may want to have a couple weeks worth of food prepared for easy fixing. Perhaps someone can bring something over for you. I had to have a lot of protein for my brain to heal and that has continued from rupture until about three months ago. I like veggies but had to learn to eat the protein first, also supplemented with protein bars and protein drinks.

Bending can be troublesome, so get everything you use on a daily basis at waist to shoulder height. Also practice squatting instead of bending at the waist. I put the dog food bowl up on the container and fill from there. I also used a smaller travel bag on a counter when I first came home. When I put the food bowl up on the counter, I stay in the squat and pick up the water bowl. This way I only have to squat twice.

They won’t let you leave the hospital until you urinate, eat and walk some.

I think your painting, drawing, knitting will be good for you and with no complications there shouldn’t be a problem. You will be very tired so don’t get too frustrated, do some deep breathing. Might want to get a class in relaxation started.

We have a member who did a lot of research on unruptured aneurysms. I can’t remember her name right now but if you do a search or look through the unruptured group, you will probably find her. In the meantime have you found this https://www.isuia.org/isuia/home.htm

Good luck and keep in touch!