Shunt adjustment post mri

I have a shunt(not sure specific type) post cerebral aneurysm about 1 year ago. Anyway had followup MRI this morning to be followed by shunt adjustment afterwards. Neurosurgeon called in to emergency so now shunt adjustment is scheduled for next week. Seemed like they really wanted me in right after the MRI and now a week is ok? It could just be scheduling since this is at a satellite office he only works at on Thursday. Anybody have any ideas how soon after MRI shunt should be adjusted? Thanks

Hi, I've had mine for 4 years and have had to get the adjustments after my mri also but they always do it right away. There has been times when they had to find someone else to do it but "whoknowes" as long as you are not having any problems- looks like its ok

this is so confusing, my canadian friend said if shunt was bad u would have a stomach ache, i asked a nurse as she stated her daughter had to get 3 revisions?? so i asked her how would one know?? she said"ohhh you will know!" i asked for an explanation Anyways im on yr 6 no adjustments on my codman adjustable and the mra's are supposed to check it at the yearly test. I called my nuero and she said if i needed adjusting i would be sleeping all day which is kinda descript of the last 5.5 yrs?? ugh

Hi there - my hubby has a VP shunt and is back in hospital for spinal issues and has had 2 MRIs in the past month and the shunt is assessed right after each MRI. We have not had the shunt adjusted since it was installed in Oct 2013, and found that the setting had changed slightly since the installation and when they adjusted it his balance was 100% better and he was much happier and energetic. They have since adjusted it again to its original setting and his balance is way off again, and he is much more "depressed" for lack of a better description. Both MRIs affected the shunt setting by about .5 I have found that with my husband the effect of adjusting the shunt can be seen quite quickly, within a couple of hours, and I hope that it is the same for you so you will know if it is OK to wait a week.

hello Ron, I would imagine they mean "really sleeping" the increase of fluid would cause headaches,nausea,unsteadieness,and being in a stupor. For the most part they seem to work very well except when they get infected-then the people have lots of problems. thats usualy when a revision has to done. but just had a mra done at jeff and they require an skull exray pre and post mra. and they showed it did infact change my setting on the shunt. all they had to to was hold a magnet type object to the head and re-adjust-- took several mins. thanks, donna

I was just confused because I thought it was necessary to have it adjusted immediately…maybe I misunderstood. I have calls in to neurologist/neurosurgeon so they can explain it to me. Interesting, Athena, how the shunt adjustment helped/hurt your husbands dizziness. I’m also dealing with chemo treatments and never know if my dizziness is from side effects of rupture or chemo. Maybe my shunt needs adjusting! Thanks for your replies!

It is really incredible how much of a difference the shunt adjustment can make - his personality totally changed when they opened the shunt to drain faster, like I said he became so happy, talkative and loving, and his balance was fantastic. He doesn't have dizziness, he just keeps swaying like a flag in the wind. The shunt adjustment stopped that so he could just stand still without swaying. Once they set it back to drain slower, he became quiet, very dark, and easily upset/agitated, and the swaying is back. I am currently trying to get neurosurg to readjust the setting again so I can have my happy, steady guy back. In all our medical adventures with these aneurysms/shunts, I have found that you really need to be quite assertive and trust your gut - if you feel there is something not quite right, keep putting it to them because you know what your baseline/normal is, the doctors don't and as much as they try to help/fix you, they don't live it everyday. Good luck and I hope all goes well with you:)

Thanks so much. Often times I’ve asked about the dizziness-never once did anyone suggest the shunt adjustment. Think I’ll bring it up at my next appointment!

Dear avccharlie: I had a shunt installed in early 2011. It may be old technology at this point. You mentioned getting an MRI - which, with this shunt, I can no longer do. I've heard tell that shunts are now MRI-compatible. Mine was calibrated after my 2010 aneurysm using a magnetized 'gizmo'.

Thanks Mark, I actually had an MRA. ( not sure the difference). I’m sure I’ll be fine as I feel fine-just was under the impression adjustment needed to be made right away. It’s weird because my rupture occurred right after ovarian cancer surgery so, ironically, it has been on the back burner of my health issues. Im afraid to admit that after a year I am just now trying to become a little more informed regarding my brain health…

hi mark! i would not post your e mail here, from what i've heard these articles and the omments are viewable to the general public thru search engines, i was shocked when i found my blog on google, tc

Mark Stephen Foley said:

Dear avccharlie: I had a shunt installed in early 2011. It may be old technology at this point. You mentioned getting an MRI - which, with this shunt, I can no longer do. I've heard tell that shunts are now MRI-compatible. Mine was calibrated after my 2010 aneurysm using a magnetized 'gizmo'.

I have my programmable shunt since May 2001. I only had it checked for the setting after I had any MRI done. Then the technician held a scanner over it to assess if the test had shifted the setting. If it had, she could realign the setting right there and then.

Two years ago, the local Neurosurgeon indicated that the shunt most likely was no longer needed but would not be removed nor in any way touched unless something developed to warrant any further action.

Since there have been no problems with it over the years, it is thought I would have none in the future. I no longer see any Neurosurgeons as everything has been fine. That is the good news. The opposite realization is that nothing further can be done and I will always live with the brain damage I have and will just have to learn to cope with it. However, I am alive and functioning independently. I have steadfastly refused to be a victim; however, I sure do have a lot of stories to relate about living in a strange world.

Hope things go well for you. Hang in there.

thank you donna ! i would feel more comfortable at jefferson rather than my local hospital but its 40 minutes away and i dont drive, so far so good, sept i get another mra and hopefully it goes to 5 yrs next, tc xoxo

donna marie wikberg said:

hello Ron, I would imagine they mean "really sleeping" the increase of fluid would cause headaches,nausea,unsteadieness,and being in a stupor. For the most part they seem to work very well except when they get infected-then the people have lots of problems. thats usualy when a revision has to done. but just had a mra done at jeff and they require an skull exray pre and post mra. and they showed it did infact change my setting on the shunt. all they had to to was hold a magnet type object to the head and re-adjust-- took several mins. thanks, donna

Thanks for looking out for Mark, Ron. Mark, there is a private message system on the site. You just have to send a friend request to the person you wish to messge. We have removed your personal email for your security.

ronk said:

hi mark! i would not post your e mail here, from what i've heard these articles and the omments are viewable to the general public thru search engines, i was shocked when i found my blog on google, tc

Mark Stephen Foley said:

Shunts have to regulated after MRI's. Sometime very little if any needs to be done. Not an emergency. Just watch for the signs of too much fluid build up. Being overly tired, headaches, temps or nausea. If any of these symptoms, call you doctor or go to the ER.

My shunt is supposed to be MRI safe. After my last MRA they just said it should be fine and not to worry unless I started feeling badly.

Thanks for the replies. Haven’t heard back from the doctor/assistant (go figure). Basically wanted to know what to look for so thanks for the input!

hi donna! did you read Athena's post? i'm thinking mine needs to be opened more, im grumpy and sleepy all the time, i will ask nuerologist on the 22nd, tc

My stepdaughter had an MRI at Cedars.They reschedule it because the neurosurgeon was not around this day, so they specific indicated that the shunt should be adjusted the same day. We followed their advise and shunt was checked the same day that the MRI was done.

My stepdaughter had an MRI at Cedars.They reschedule it because the neurosurgeon was not around this day, so they specific indicated that the shunt should be adjusted the same day. We followed their advise and shunt was checked the same day that the MRI was done.