Coil migration or movement

Hi All,
It’s been a while since I’ve posted here, but I have a question about something I can’t find answers on through the search.

Has anyone here experienced movement or migration of coil material into the parent artery years after the procedure? If so, what kind of problems did it cause and what did you do about it?

Thank you for any information you can provide. I appreciate it.
Jennifer

2 Likes

Hi Jennifer
I don’t know anything but I’m interested in this topic as well. I have an aneurysm and my 29 year old son underwent surgery last year to correct his. They did a coil which appears to be ok at the moment. He was told he is healing well but I know the doctors where watching the placement as well. Hope you find answers soon. Take care.
Sincerely
Lyd

1 Like

I think one member did mention it Jennifer. Can’t remember who it was, hopefully they will respond.

I found this older article Coil Migration, Malposition, Stretching and Retrieval - PMC

There’s an article here, but I don’t pay for access to this site. Coil Migration - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics. It’s the one second down on left

I did a search on NIH and there’s several articles/studies not all related to cerebral issues Coil migration - National Institutes of Health Search Results

I used the term “coil migration” to search

2 Likes

Hi, Jennifer! Please also look at PubMed. This is a free cite where one can review research articles.

Jessica

2 Likes

Hi Jennifer,

not sure about coil migration. I have a coil from ten years ago, regular scans have been ok. However the shunt inserted has indeed shifted, it was done while I was hospitalized because of an infection and not due to the hemorrhage.

My neurosurgeon told me the shunt was no longer needed. I think removing it would have been just more surgery than necessary, it’s a cosmetic issue I suppose. I cover it up with my hairstyle, but it is truly shifting and feels funny, not painful just odd as it has moved quite a few inches in ten years. I try to see the humor in it, maybe my brain is growing from all the exercises I try to do and has moved the shunt out out of the way​:wink::face_with_hand_over_mouth::thinking:.

Best wishes,

4 Likes

Thank you for all your replies. :slight_smile: You’ve been very helpful.

1 Like

My Aunt had this happen, she was 72, at 78 they just watched. Guessing it depends on everyone’s different- praying your stays without further issues and they can just watch!!

2 Likes

If you had an aneurysm that was coiled, it’s important to continue to follow up with your neurointerventional doctor or a stroke neurologist. In rare instances, coils can migrate and that complication can either be benign or cause significant issues (there are rare instances in which the coil can migrate so much that it can occlude blood flow and cause strokes). It’s not something you would notice unless if there is a serious complication. It’s all about preventative care so taking the medications that were recommended (aspirin and such) and following up with your doctors is important in case they think it’s necessary to get regular surveillance imaging! I don’t mean to scare you but just wanted to provide some information in case it is helpful to you.

2 Likes