Ruptured aneurysm during pregnancy

Hi all,

Here I am again. I had a ruptured aneurysm 3.5 weeks ago on the 8th of Jan 2015 (my partner's birthday), and at being 5 months pregnant. I had no idea what an aneurysm was before this day. I had panic attacks all the way to the hospital as I was scared I was losing the baby, I didn't know what was going on with my body. I had severe head and neck pain, and nausea. When we got to the hospital they did a cat scan on my head and told me the verdict, then we were whisked away in an ambulance to another city hospital.

I saw the surgeon the next morning before the procedure, he did mention to me that we could lose the baby but he would do everything possible to prevent this. He also said the most important thing at the moment was for my life to be preserved, because if there was no me, there was no baby.

The report says that they didn't conduct cat scans during the procedure because of the baby, so I am not sure how they went about the coiling without that. A question to ask when I have my appointment in a couple of weeks.

With much relief, the baby and I both survived the procedure. I claimed the hospital ward's doppler so I could listen to her heart beat each day for peace of mind. She's a strong one, this baby. I was on buprenorphine and panadol at the start, but got off the buprenorphine as soon as possible because of the baby, and managed through the migraines and headaches with just panadol. Apparently I have a high pain tolerance, thank goodness for that.

Before all this, I was planning for a natural birth at a birthing centre with a midwife, but we have now been transferred to the high risk team at the city's maternity hospital. I feel safer about that. I have an appt in 2 weeks to discuss the new birth plan. They have mentioned that it is likely we will be induced early (as early as 37 weeks) and an epidural will be necessary to take the pressure from my head, maybe forceps too. I will write more when I know what's going on, for anyone who's interested.

I'm trying not to stress about it right now and just leave it until the appointment. I have this overall feeling that everything will be okay. It has been so far...could have been a lot worse if the rupture happened during labour. This little girl is my guardian angel, I think.

Denise

Wow! I wish you the best of luck. I think you have had some very good luck so far!

I think so too Kurt, very grateful to be alive and have this baby be okay also.

Denise...you have been blessed...wishing each step continues w/blessings...

So the update is...I have had an appt with the obstetrician of the high risk team, and they have advised that we will still plan for a vaginal birth, rather than a Caesar. Epidural and possibly vacuum will be required so as to not have too much pushing and pressure to the head. As my first daughter was 1 week early, it is unlikely that this one will go late so she should be a smallish baby. They are doing an extra ultrasound in a couple of weeks to check on her growth progress after all the events of the last two months.

Cant' say I am not nervous about the birth now, but all I can do is leave the decisions in the hands of the experts and their professional advice. I really don't like the thought of a Caesar, so I'm happy that I can still have a vaginal birth, however it's a little scary even so.

Wow, ok I’m getting excited for you and your family! In my family, each baby comes faster (half the time as the one previous) Do they have you doing any special exercises or breathing techniques?

Cheering you Denise and praying that the vaginal birth be successful.Am curious though, does pushing cause an unwanted pressure to the brain?

Hi God’s favourite. It does, hence the epidural. I won’t need to push until the very end because my body will do the work until then. Also, because my aneurysm has already ruptured and is now full of coils, it’s safer than ever before because the aneurysm can’t burst anymore.
I really am nervous about it, but I trust that the experts know what they are doing and I will trust God to get us through.

Hi Moltroub,
Not sure about breathing techniques but now that you have mentioned it, I will look into it.
I really hope this baby comes quickly and it’s not a long labour. My last one was 5-6 hours, than was 10 years ago!

You are doing FANTASTIC!!! Keep up the good work and don't let ANYONE tell you anything different about having a baby with all of this happening. My husband and I had our first before my aneurysm, and I then had three more after. You CAN do it!! I say this all the time, "if I can have lost an ovary when I was 22, got married and had 4 children and have an aneurysm, and am still here, you can too. Don't give up at all.

Thanks Winny, that’s great to hear! Wow I just read your story on your bio. You are amazing!
Please tell me, did you have vaginal births for your 3 kids after the ruptured aneurysm, or were they born by Caesar?
Denise

Denise,

Please keep us posted. Good luck.

Denise said:

So the update is...I have had an appt with the obstetrician of the high risk team, and they have advised that we will still plan for a vaginal birth, rather than a Caesar. Epidural and possibly vacuum will be required so as to not have too much pushing and pressure to the head. As my first daughter was 1 week early, it is unlikely that this one will go late so she should be a smallish baby. They are doing an extra ultrasound in a couple of weeks to check on her growth progress after all the events of the last two months.

Cant' say I am not nervous about the birth now, but all I can do is leave the decisions in the hands of the experts and their professional advice. I really don't like the thought of a Caesar, so I'm happy that I can still have a vaginal birth, however it's a little scary even so.

Wow! I love your faith hope DNS optimism. Best wishes for your healing and baby’s health

Yes you certainly r a strong woman .
Good luck

Hi all, just an update on anyone who is following my story. I am 38 weeks pregnant now, and have started in the first stages of labour....just some painless contractions going on. I am feeling very positive about the birth and am looking forward to meeting our new little girl.

At the advice of the experts, I am still having a natural birth with an epidural to keep my blood pressure down.

Despite the ruptured aneurysm 3.5 months ago, my head feels like there was never anything wrong with it. Very grateful for my recovery :)

Really following up and praying that you have a safe delivery. Let us know how it goes. Am now 7 weeks along and keen on any information to do with a natural delivey

Denise said:

Hi all, just an update on anyone who is following my story. I am 38 weeks pregnant now, and have started in the first stages of labour....just some painless contractions going on. I am feeling very positive about the birth and am looking forward to meeting our new little girl.

At the advice of the experts, I am still having a natural birth with an epidural to keep my blood pressure down.

Despite the ruptured aneurysm 3.5 months ago, my head feels like there was never anything wrong with it. Very grateful for my recovery :)

Thanks for your prayers Gods Favourite. With these contractions I’m feeling, I think we will be at the hospital in hours