Ruptured Aneurysm and treatment

Aneurysm ruptured but was conscious till we admitted in hospital. We did CT SCAN & MRI, size was 3.3 mm. Any possibility to heal with medicine or compulsory need to do surgery or FD & coiled.

Are you still in hospital? ! I guess the best picture doctors see … what do they say?
I hope the best treatment will be done in your case and you will feel better!

1 Like

Thanks. But want to know, whether ruptured anuersym require suregery or coiling or can be treated with medicine? Doctors suggested for coilling. But couple of instance came to my notice that if anuerysm is small but ruptured, still can be treated with medicine and no need for surgery or coiling. So if any expert in this forum who knows the answer.

Jig, our members supply support and opinions based on personal experience. No medical expert here can provide a medical opinion for any type of medical treatment. From what I have read and been told, the rate of a second bleed is very high if the first was not treated by either coiling or craniotomy. I believe you will have to question the medical professionals at your hospital and trust in their experience as well as knowledge. Wishing you and your relative well.

Hi Moltroub, Thanks for feedback. Yea I understand, views and opinions shared here are mostly personal experience. Hence asked if anyone with SAH case and can share how the treatment was done. There were 2 opinions from medical expert, so there is dylema and lack of clarity. Nevertheless, agree on the fact that if ruptured aneurysm not treated than there is likely chance of rebleeding in few days and that can be life threatening.

I misunderstood your question, I apologize. I had a SAH on small 5mm multilobed Aneurysm that bled a lot. My doctor has opted for coiling, the third time, she used a ballon assist. The type of procedure the doctors pick is based on location, size and their preference. Coiling has less risk of infection, etc per research, but has its own inherent risks. It’s really important to talk to the surgeon and ask the risks of each as well as outcomes.

In my case, size was 3.3 mm which was ruptured. Doctor recommended for flow divertor and coiling both. First coiling and than flow divertor so that coil bcs does not fall down. Meanwhile one medical expert gave opinion that size was very small (3.3 mm) which can be cured with medicine even though it was ruptured. So confused.

I certainly can understand the confusion! Go with what the person says who will be doing the procedure. I would try to research medicine only for SAH but we need to leave for a few hours. Again I have never come across it. The ISAT results show most ruptured aneurysms are small. The blood that goes into the subarachnoid space is dangerous due to the pressure on the brain and mixes in with the CSF. Whenever I have uncertainties with a proposed procedure, I ask the doctor what they would do if it was themselves or their family member. If the medical professional is not a Neurosurgeon or Neurologist who operates on brains, has extensive knowledge on brain procedures, I’d go with the brain doctor.

This is the best I can find right now, it appears that the medicine treats the symptoms arises from SAH, the coiling or craniotomy repairs the ruptured aneurysm.

https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1164341-overview

Thanks. Very informative.

1 Like

Here’s what I found on Flow Diversion, it’s a paper on looking at various reported research

Best of luck, keep in touch when able.

My aneurysm was 2.4 mm but I had to do clipping. I followed what the doctors said.

Diagnostic centre where I did CT scan and MRI, their opinion is, once anuerysm ruptures, its actual size shrink bcs blood has already come out of it.

www.bafound.org

Exhaustive information on subject.

Yes they are often cited in not only research but in papers of discussion! The BA Foundation is who started this online support group:). When you have time, look at the webinars.

Jig,

If you had a ruptured aneurysm and subsequent , I assume that you are still in the hospital. In my case, I had a rupture by the brain stem. The adverse affect of SAH is that it is an irritant to the brain tissue and can lead to vasospasm (constriction of vessel) which can result in a stroke. In my case, the ruptured aneurysm was coiled and the SAH was treated with Nimotop. I am not a medical professional so you need to rely on your physician. I was in the ICU for 18 days and 3 days in general room.

1 Like

jib…I have no expertise…however, I can only ask - what the doctor(s) tld to you and which procedure, or delay, that was recommended by those quality medical doctors. What did they tell you about the artery it formed off? To what areas of the brain can be, have been, affected by any level of blood flow from the rupture - to what area(s) of the brain were affected by the blood rupture?
Did they offer any printed data that explains the variances in symptoms, and/or impact by or to which organs in the brain affected? What did he/she/they recommend?

It was SAH case. Anuerysm ruptured. Doctor recommended for FD plus coil.

I am not sure but twhat I understood with limited knowledge after reading few articles, meeting/discussing with some people who has better understanding of medical, a ruptured anuerysm has to be treated either with surgery or coiling. With medicine not possible to treat ruptured aneurysm. Surgery or coiling depend on location of anuersym. In my case coiling and stent was possible. Suregry not recommended because of location.

I’m a bit confused, did you have the coiling or was it a relative?