Questions, new to this

Hi, I was diagnosed with a non ruptured aneurysm on Friday and told I need surgery as the aneurysm is too big, 9x5 mm and also that is it an awkward shape, has a bump on the side. I am not eligible for the coil as the bottom of the aneurysm is too large and will not hold the coil. I am 54 and my Neurosurgeon said that if I wait I will have a 5% change of it getting worse in 5 years, or something to that affect. I am somewhat confused on that issue and wonder if anyone can clarify this for me.

Also I am dizzy but was told by the neurosurgeon that it was not due to the aneurysm? What else could it be? She also said I could resume my life as before as we don't know how long I have had the aneurysm, including exercise, she didn't say to stop drinking??

Thanks

Brenda

Hello Brenda!

In reference to the dizzyness....there are countless others on this website who have been told, time and time again, that whatever odd symptoms they're having couldn't possibly have something to do with their aneurysm.....It is so common in fact, that most everyone on this site hears this sort of thing and just shake their heads in total disbelief---I mean, how on earth the Neurosurgeon can make this sort of proclamation is beyond me, but lots of us have heard just that sort of reaction. The dizzyness could indeed have lots to do with your annie, yet getting a neurosurgeon to agree to that is another story. Did the Neurosurgeon say what she thinks the dizzyness is from?

Typically the first things you'll hear from the Neurosurgeon is to forgo any binge drinking and no smoking--I don't think i'd be comfortable over-exerting myself until this --the annie--is dealt with. (how or why did the anuerysm get found, was it an incidental finding?) Keep in mind that any aneurysm that is growing is one to be concerned with ...

Best of luck to you Brenda,

Peace, Janet

Hi Janet and thanks for the information. I went to my Dr. because of dizziness and got the Cat scan and it showed a shadow so she sent me to a neurologist who sent me for the MRI. The Surgeon said it was just lucky that I had the Cat scan and that the dizziness wasn't part of the annie, but I am starting to wonder. I will definitely have the operation, just so much to take in in less than a week of knowing I even had an annie.... (my trip to the neurosurgeon was due to a cancellation or I would still be waiting). NO she didn't say why I might be dizzy?? Go figure!! I don't smoke but I do drink and will definitely be doing any binge drinking, maybe a few beer if anything.

Again thanks, this is a real learning process to say the least.

Brenda

Hello Brenda, you do not say where your aneurysm is?

Hi Brenda...Janet gave you great information...it is so true...most Doctors do not recognize our symptoms are signs of a brain aneurysm, but countless stories here will tell you differently...right now it is most important to address your brain aneurysm...and your surgery...as you heal...you will learn what is comfortable to go back and do and what is not...it all takes time...~ Gotcha in my Thoughts ~ Colleen

Hi Brenda. Did the doctor discuss risk factors with you? such as, family history of aneurysms? Blood pressure? and how long you have had BP, and is it controlled? Stress? You already fall into two risk factors. Women have a higher incidence then men, and your age. Drug use? Some diseases can also put you at greater risk of aneurysms. drinking? These are some of the risk factors in determining the need of surgery. I had clip surgery on two, one ruptured, one not. I still have one aneurysm that the doctor is watching. He gave me the choice of another clip surgery, or watch. I gathered as much information as i could from this site and my doctor. He told me that the risk of surgery was slightly greater at this time than the risk of clip surgery. Soooo, for now I watch. I will go for my next CTA in May. But right now, I live my life as normal. Please gather all the information that you can. Develope a support group. Talk to many people with our problem, and make an informed decision. Remember, knowledge is power

Hi Roy and thanks so much for the reply. The Dr. did discuss all the risk factors with me but I was in and out of the appointment in 30 min and of course afterwards you find more questions. I don't have high BP, no longer smoke but I did for years, quite 12 years ago and I do drink. From what the Dr. said she advised that I have the surgery and I will, however, it is hard to think along those lines right away. I am still digesting as I had the MRI and then the Dr. Appointment all within a week. My family doesn't really talk about it thinking I am okay under I go under the knife. My family Dr. had health issues so presently without a Dr. but have an appointment today for one so hopefully that will work out. Being able to discuss with people in the same situation is helpful and I am glad I came across this site. I wish there was one closer to home and maybe a support group I could go to, ( I am in Nova Scotia, Canada). Again, thanks and "one day at a time". Brenda

Hi Brenda. Sounds like you have done your homework. Go to the webanair section on the home page of this site and browse through some of them. I found one that actually showed a clip surgery. I got halfway through the video and had to turn it off. Second time I felt okay about what I saw. I asked my wife to watch the video. It helped her understand what we go through. work on developing a support team right there, makes a world of difference in recovery. Good luck to you. we will be praying

hi Brenda! contact them insist on answers the squeaky wheel gets the oil,i was leary to call mine but once I did I was glad, in the meantime take care of yourself- no heavy lifting and don't allow yourself to get angry or suppress sneezes, I was told never to put my head below the level of my heart by an occ therapist, and once I did and felt the pressure then I recalled her advice and kinda panicked. I am different tho-coiled sah emergency type. We must be our own advocates and they seem to be complacent in our care, this aggravates me since I feel like a cash cow or just another number and hear shades of complacency and people not doing their jobs all over this forum, I am curious - did they say it could be leaking a little causing dizzies? Also what type of exercises? I would not do power lifting or strain in any way. at any rate you are on the right track, onward and upward and we will keep you in thoughts and prayers~~~ hang in there, think positive, my heart goes out to you all in waiting~

Hi and thanks for the reply Ron, I have no way to call them, she is the only neurosurgeon in this province, ya... so very busy and I do trust her answer and she has a good reputation, she worked on my coworkers husband who had a stroke and two others that I know of. I go to Curves which is some exercise machines and some jumping around, no lifting. I do get angry and I don't sneeze much anyway. I have been getting headaches a bit and wondering why and the dizziness is not caused from the annie according to the Dr. I found out about the annie purely by accident and I guess it was Devine Intervention, if you are into that??

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers and it is just nice to talk to others in my situation.

Brenda

thank you! Absolutely! please read my blog entitled "everything happens for a reason-God is with us" Also you should meet Jaime from sask. her dog knocked her down and due to injury her annie was found!!! there are so many miracles here, and to think I was so alone for year one! take care, see you around!

Hi Ron and yes I will read the blog and I too agree with the theory that Everything Happens for a Reason..., I have to remind myself of that some days when I am having a pity party. Not just from the "annie" but I have a hard time with winter at the best of times and my partners sister is dying with cancer at 41 so sometimes it is hard to put thing in perspective... One foot in front of the other and one day at a time though seems to work.

Thanks again for the reply and happy Wednesday :) My 89 year old mom is a true believer in a higher power, God and it has rubbed off on me.

Brenda