Question about pipeline emobilization

Hello,

Thank you for making me feel so welcome to this group. I joined the group because my 79 year old mother just underwent the new pipeline emobilization procedure to treat a large brain aneurysm. Her diagnosis and treatment options all came very suddenly so we are still under shock regarding her condition and reaching out for any information that can help. She underwent a seven hour procedure on Nov. 1, 2012 so she is just shy of one month. After the procedure she lost the use of her right arm and her right side is very weak since the aneurysm was on the left side of her brain. She also cannot walk and now uses a wheel chair. We are trying to get the best care possible for her. My family is still new to this so I don't even know what questions I need to be asking. Is this what happened to her normal after such a procedure? would she be able to regain some function in the future? I would appreciate any feedback, advice or information that we can use.

Thank you all and best of luck to everyone.

Sincerely,

Najwa

Najwa-

I personally do not have any info to help you, but some folks here will. Check back later. God Bless you and your family.

Thank you. This has been a very challenging experience for our family.

God bless you too.

Hello Jo,

Thanks for the reply. It is my mother who had the procedure. The aneurysm had not ruptured but it was large and in a bad place so this was the only option for her survival. My mother has always (all her life) had a history of migrain headaches so the headaches she suffered these past few months were just attributed to that. She doesn't have insurance so she did not follow up on the headaches until the final month in october when she showed different spastic symptoms and forgetfullness. That is when the aneurysm was discovered on an MRI.

She did get Rehab this past month. However, again due to lack on insurance she is not getting it now.

We are trying to find centers in her area who are reasonably priced for self pay.

How can I join the PED group. Is it on this site?

Thank

Hello Evy,

According to her Neurosurgeons she did not have a stroke. They went back in with a third angiogram to check this. They did say that a nerve or blood vessel may have been damaged in the right arm only. The therapists at the Rehab center indicated that her brain needs to be rewired and relearn to use the right side of her body. She is making some progress but very very slow.

Thanks and God bless you too.

Najwa

My annie ruptured May 5 2011 at the age of 30 .I had 9 coils put in but needed more . I went back months later and was given a stent because they couldn't get the coils in . My annie is behind my RIGHT eye, yet my RIGHT foot has been numb since the rupture . I had to repeat this many times while in the hospital . Doctors would try to correct me and say, "you mean your left foot ? " I did have some vasospasm during coiling but still they say it should be my left foot not right . This goes to show They still really don't fully understand the brain . It's been 18 months and my foot is the same .

Thank you so much for your reply and sharing your story Amanda. What a difficult experience you have had? My hat goes out to you and your family. I wish you the best of luck. God bless you.

Najwa

Hi Najwa...I am so sorry what your mom is going through...all of us are different...I was coiled 2 years ago...my brain aneurysm was leaking...it was on my basilar artery...Doctor's accidentally cut my parent artery and some other things happened to me in surgery...anyways...I was suppose to walk away all fine...I was 46 years old...but when I woke from coma...my right eye droops...something isn't right with my right ear, arm and leg...I now suffer migraines...all my "new normal"... I push through alot of the pain because I am young...but for your mom her age has got to be hard...remember, if she just had the procedure ... it takes time to heal...Gotcha in my Thoughts~ Colleen

Hello and welcome Najwa, so sorry your going thru this terrible time and compounded by the insurance thing!! Does your mother qualify for medicaide? r u living in the us or out of the country? A few years back, my brother had a brain injury and no insurance. we held a couple of benefits and made a deal with the rehab to pay cash. they were very willing to work with us. There was not much hope for him but with muchhhhhh time and effort, he drives and gets around pretty good. I'll check back with you. take care of yourself. donna w

Thank you for your reply Colleen. I admire your strength and enduring what you have had to go through. Hang in there. Praying for your full recovery.

Good luck

Najwa

Hello Donna,

Yes we live in the US. I am trying to get her on medicaid now. She is a citizen. My sister made a deal with the rehab place and paid by credit card. We need to make arrangements now for caregiving and additional outpatient rehab. If you don't mind me asking, how long did it take before your brother was able to return to more functions and what kind of rehab did he need. Good luck to him and God bless.

Najwa

Hi again, I don't mindat all. We looked for a rehab that specalized in brain injuries. We live in Phila area so Magee rehab was one of the best for brain problems. He didn't go right away due to other difficulties(he lived in florida) but once he was at magee, he made great progress. Within two weeks time, they had him walking with a cane(from wheelchair),able to remove his feeding tube, taught him how to swallow and eat,and also talk. The difference was they specalized in brain inj.Also, Moss, and several others in our area. Like I said, when they saw we were paying cash and were sincere, they worked with us with the prices. If u need anymore info let me know. donna w

Thanks Donna. We live in Florida. Since we had no prior knowledge about any of this, mom went to a rehab center that was recommended by Shands hospital where she had her proceudre done. She ended up at a rehab center in Ormond beach which does care for many stroke patients. The good news is mom is eating and swallowing ok. She is also talking. She sometimes forgets and can't concentrate on things when you ask her for specifics. She lost use of her right arm completely and her right side is weak. She also needs to wear depends now for accidents. She also tires very easily. She had developed seizures after the procedure and is on meds for that so she is always tired. She also doesn't sleep well at night which makes rehab or any therapy difficult for her. She didn't want to do much at the rehab center and they could only get so much out of her. Even now at the house she is making slow progress but tires out and seem to not have motivation to do it. That is hard to accept and see. I would appreciate information on the place you are talking about and do they do any rehab for pediatrics. I have a special needs daughter who suffered a brain injury as a result of being born micro preemie and is still on a feeding tube. I would like to get additional information to find out if I can even bring my daughter as well as my mom to the philli area.

Thanks so much.

Najwa