Angiogram risks

Hi, I was wondering if angiograms are considered low risk? I keep reading chance of stroke if catheter breaks off plaque. How common is that? Is the risk of stroke only increased during the procedure and within a few days after? Or can you have a delayed stroke months later? If stroke is not a common complication, how does the doctor avoid it happening? are they just careful with the catheter? Already had two of these done but never really had time to consider risks. I don't really want another if it's dangerous. I don't always eat very well but am only 30. I don't know if my arteries are full of plaque or not.

thanks and bless.

yes they are low risk, less than 1% i believe- especially at your young age. I know exactly how you feel and i was amazed they can't do more to prevent these clots and plaque risks, i am not certain but i think they are just careful to prevent a stroke, i asked my surgeon prior to procedure how are you how do you feel did you sleep well etc etc -lol he laughed knowing the reason for 50 questions, i have never heard of delayed stroke but i'm no expert, thanks for the input - i will look forward to others replies!~~

Eva, these questions are medically specific and probably best directed to your neuro. I have never heard of a delayed stroke, however, and though I have known hundreds of people who have had angios, I only remember hearing of one or two problems, and both were resolvable.

What is the reason for your third angio? Is it for followup monitoring?

Eva...

Do you mean a diagnostic angio...or a procedural implant (embolization)?

I do not at all consider angios low risk...beginning w/the radiation levels and the contrast materials...

which vary tremendously in diagnostic and procedural device placement... then, the tortuous turns...we all can/may have such variances in the turns in our cerebral arteries...

Camille posted a magnificent clear one year result image...I hope to post one there to display the variances...in the turns in our arteries... And, this image will display where the main catheter ends...I had asked some time back in "ask the doc" on torturous turns...

We have had members who have had strokes at various times...

An ongoing question of mine is whether the stents can build plaque...there was one stent w/patient labeling noting that there could be re-stenosis...tho that is not on all the patient labeling of all the various stents...based on stents (if you had/have any) you'd need to check the patient labeling by brand...and ask your doc...

Prayers you will get lots more responses from any members who have had strokes...and, when they occurred...and, if hemorrhagic or ischemic...to add to questions to your neuro to gain your comfort in your decisions...

Pat

http://www.mayfieldclinic.com/PE-ANGIO.htm#.U7Q5PdEg_IU very low risk it states and i'm sure your surgeon will agree

Thanks everyone. This would be a follow-up angiogram to monitor an unruptured aneurysm. I'm really having a hard time deciding what to do. I'm starting to wonder if it's not worth it anymore. Most people with aneurysms don't even know about them and I can't bear the idea of more radiation than I've already had. I also don't want to risk something as devastating as stroke just to check on a lesion that might still go untreated. My doctor probably will act like MRI is a poor substitute and I don't really want to do that either anyway. So depressing.

Hi Eva,

I agree with all of these comments and just remember that an Angiogram is considered the "gold standard" to get the most clear and accurate picture of what's going on in these noggins of ours. Hearing all of these disclosures that our medical team has no other choice but to share with us can be just so scary, however, if we read the potential side effects of taking an aspirin; we would have never taken one...before or after our annie and/or AVM. And even when we go and have a tooth pulled; we pretty much have to sign our life away too. Hang in there girl and if this is the route your medical team would like to take in the future; just know that they know best! I know this is so much easier said then done but I truly feel this way and wish you nothing but the BEST thru this healing journey you are on.

Ron, the first sentence notes "invasive"...however, I have used/like Mayfield for some time and referred others to it...it is overall clear and easy to read...