Preparation for angiogram

I am having an angiogram next week sometime. Can I go alone or does someone need to drive me home? How long will I stay at hospital for afterwards and does it hurt?

Hi and welcome ;)

I had mine last April - I would have someone come with you for moral support if anything else. The process can seem overwhelming and for me it would have been horrible if I was alone. Mine was at 9am but had to be in a few hours earlier - it took less then an hour - but had to remain in layign down so the artery could clot for a few hours. I think we left around 3-4pm with instruction to take it easy for the next few days.

I was told it wouldnt hurt and I should not be uncomfortable. Most people I know who have had one say the same. However, I can tell you this was not the case for me. I dont want to scare you in anyway - it wasnt horbbile or soemthing I couldnt handle but It wasnt a piece of cake either. I felt the pressure from the incision and felt the cathitor travel thru my body the enitre time. I could tell when they were in the left side and then the right. The dye can make you feel very warm and that can be uncomfortable as well.

I had a great doctor and team and because of that I was fine. and knew nothing was going on that wasnt suppsed to be. I wish you strength and god bless

hi Fiona! noooo pain- just a sore spot at entry site for a few days-much like getting hit with a golf ball,i was totally "out" cause of the meds and lack of sleep-didn't feel a thing,re driving -I don't think driving was allowed but im not sure-I don't drive-you will be groggy from the drugs-I hope someone can accompany you, it will be greatly appreciated- unless you'd rather be alone, you will have to lie flat for a few hours to ensure sealing of the site tho. Patience will be a virtue, the waiting is the hardest part, and they will probably tell you no lifting for a couple days ,anyways I wish you the best and will keep you in thoughts and prayers!

It is not likely they will let you drive....so if you don't bring someone with you, be prepared to use a taxi to get home. Pain is very minimal but you have to lie still for several hours, depending on what type "closure" they do. The most important thing is that the entry site closes well. Prayers for you.....let us know how it all went afters!!

Hi Fiona,

I had an angiogram this past March. As others have said you will need a driver for sure. It's also nice to have some moral support in a friend or family member there with you to meet with the DR. following it with the results. This was where I was told I had another aneurysm and would need another surgery so it was great to have my husband there. They had me lay flat & not move for 2 hours after I got back to the room. NO pain other than my back was really bothering me from laying flat on my back. I had trouble with my back for several days, but that was it for pain. They can put a pillow under your knees if you wish. I felt wiped out & tired for about 72 hours following surgery and just wanted to sleep so don't plan anything too big if you can help it. Good luck to you, and hope you get an "alls good" result. Sandy B.