Pipeline stent

this is what I want to hear! to healthy easy outcomes for us all!

jennifer england said:

I had a pipeline placed in my 8 mm Annie in November 2014. Over night in the hospital and one day of rest and I felt strong enough to stay home with my toddler. No problems or side effects since!

Hi
Iā€™ Barbara I had coiling done first Iā€™m 2014 my Annie is 19 mil 3/4 of an inch the in 2015 they place a pipeline flex in the artery . My vision
Isnā€™t the best but it has proved I feel
Much better no migraineā€™s anymore !!!

I've had both, a clipping about 12 years ago and a pipeline on 12-12-12. The pipeline was sooooo much less invasive and the recovery time is only a week. At my last check up my aneurysm had shrunk by 85-87%! Definitely a better way to go in my opinion. Just make sure whoever does it, has done more than 10. The first 5 P.E.D. surgeries for a neurosurgeon, must be assisted by another doc, who has more experience.

I've had ups and downs concerning headaches and I had a massive seizure on Feb 27th 2014, where I fractured my spine in 7 places and broke my left arm at the shoulder. I had never suffered from seizures in my life and they swear the seizure was unrelated to the pipeline... I do not believe them. I was also unable to come off of the plavix because I started having mini strokes when they took me off.. So, I wish I could say no problems at all but that would be lying. Please keep in mind that my complications, seem to be the exception and not the rule. They put me on keppra after my seizure and I'm coming up on two years without another seizure! I just suffer from back pain and shoulder pain.

Please let me know if you have any questions and I will do my best to answer them. Just keep researching and make sure that the information you gather is credible. There are some awesome YouTube videos showing the pipeline procedure, if that doesn't freak you out. I will pray for a successful surgery and a speedy recovery!! Best Wishes!!

1 Like

I had a large 2cm+ (note cm) vertebrobasilar aneurysm, ruptured twice! Once in Jan. 2013 and again in Feb 2013. I had neuroform stent and coils after first rupture, then more coils after second rupture. No deficits. 6 month f/u said I was still at risk of regrowth/ rupture (blood was still filling my aneurysm... I was recommended the Pipeline stent.... long story short. Im still here and have the pipeline stent finally successfully placed- dont go back for another check up till next year November.

Make sure you pick a doctor who has done lots of pipeline stents. Do your research., get second and even third opinions and then just hope for the best. That's all we can do. Do NOT waste time stressing! this too shall pass, but I TOTALLY understand your fear!! You GOT THIS

Mamika2 said:

I had a large 2cm+ (note cm) vertebrobasilar aneurysm, ruptured twice! Once in Jan. 2013 and again in Feb 2013. I had neuroform stent and coils after first rupture, then more coils after second rupture. No deficits. 6 month f/u said I was still at risk of regrowth/ rupture (blood was still filling my aneurysm... I was recommended the Pipeline stent.... long story short. Im still here and have the pipeline stent finally successfully placed- dont go back for another check up till next year November.

Make sure you pick a doctor who has done lots of pipeline stents. Do your research., get second and even third opinions and then just hope for the best. That's all we can do. Do NOT waste time stressing! this too shall pass, but I TOTALLY understand your fear!! You GOT THIS.... btw. pipeline was finally placed last year! After a failed attempt a year before that, and a failed attempt at a cerebral bypass surgery- I was a "complex" case. .. Finally not stresing!!! :-) Anni is sealed. No deficits. no more head pain etc, its been a long road but Im still here!!

My wife had coiling initially. Six months later, summer of 2012, she had additional coiling and a stent installed. Last summer she had her 3.5 year angiogram, and the result was as good as could be. She is to have an MRI in maybe 5 years, but everything is good. Her initial surgery was a matter of survival, and hospitalization was 51 days plus rehab for some months. The surgery at the six-month point when the stent was installed was very simple and quick--she was in CCU overnight and then free to go.

You may want to view: http://www.strokeassociation.org/STROKERG/AboutStroke./TypesofStroke

On their first page they reference the mm's to inch fractions... may be helpful in asking your doc..

Barbara Baione said:

My aneurysm is 3/4 of an inch long my dr said they only coil if it's bigger than 10 millimeters . Guess they can prevent the aneurysm from getting bigger !!
Hope y r feeling better bed rest
Really helped me I slept a real lot !!

Mamika...you have been so blessed ...remarkably... it is nice to see you back here... .

Mamika2 said:

Mamika2 said:

Mamika2 said:Also, In case you missed it, I have a stent within a stent!

Mamika2 said:

Make sure you pick a doctor who has done lots of pipeline stents. Do your research., get second and even third opinions and then just hope for the best. That's all we can do. Do NOT waste time stressing! this too shall pass, but I TOTALLY understand your fear!! You GOT THIS.... btw. pipeline was finally placed last year! After a failed attempt a year before that, and a failed attempt at a cerebral bypass surgery- I was a "complex" case. .. Finally not stresing!!! :-) Anni is sealed. No deficits. no more head pain etc, its been a long road but Im still here!!

Hey ots Roxanne here I had clipping of 7mm aneurysm on 12/12/12 then in April 2013 I was told 2mm of the aneurysm wasnt clipped coz it was too dangerous so then I had pipeline stent dun in May 2013 and July 2015 after two angiograms I was discharged from Neuro dept. I can assure you if someone with 5 children like me can survive through two major Ops n carry on with life as nothin has happened apart from the occasional forgetfulness then anyone can get through dont worry. My pipeline stent was yhe first one ever performed at Royal Preston Hospital Lancashire England. Good luck

I had a rupture of a PICA aneurysm in 10/2012 which was coiled. The coils eventually compacted and in 5/2015 I had a pipeline placed. So far, so good. My neurosurgeon did say that he normally uses 2 stents, 1 inside the other, for reinforcement but in my case because of the location of the aneurysm he only did 1 and will play the watch and wait game to see if it will need reinforcement. Once in a blue moon I will have a dull ache at the base of my skull on the same side as the PICA but I also have a bit of arthritis in my neck so I am not 100% certain it is anything related to the aneurysm/stent or arthritis. Other than that, no issues. I am scheduled for my first followup CT angiogram on Monday 2/22 to check on the stent. Good luck to you!

Hi Karen, Time to chill! I have had 2 coiled and stented with no problems at all and no after effects what so ever!

You go in have a great sleep, wake up and job done, mine were 1 x opthalmic and 1 x basilar.

There is nothing to worry about at all, so chill.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Cheers for now.

Martinc

Hi Karen
I had a stent put in Nov. 2012. I havenā€™t had any problems. The aneurysm is now gone. The stent did itā€™s job like my doctor said it would. So donā€™t worry and try to relax.

I had a giant Annie right ICA cavernous sinus segment. Had 2 pipeline stents put in November 2011. Just had my 4 year follow up angiogram and itā€™s gone. I never have to see my neurosurgeon again. I have been discharged from treatment. I am 56. Good luck!

I had a pipeline put last summer 27.7 in Greece. My aneurysm was 16mm and had a hematoma on top. My terrible headaches are gone. I am going to have my MRI soon but I feel good and I don't worry. Of course I am just telling how I feel in my body without having tests to back me up. After the operation I had numbness on left side of my body and felt as if my hearing in my left ear was affected but with the time and some exercises I am almost back to normal.

I had a PED November 30, 2011. I Did great with the procedure. I had 4 aneursym's Two were coiled one was clipped and one PED. The PED was an easier recovery time for me. I never had any problems. You want to make sure to take the blood thinners they will give you for 6 months. I now take an 81 mg asprin every day.. My annie is completely gone. I wish you well.

In March 2013, I had a PED stent for a wide necked 5mm unruptured annie in the RICA in Iowa City, Iowa and it has been successful. Only a one night stay in the hospital, so that was good. It did take most of year to really recover from the fatigue and headaches. The only glitch I had, was every time they tried to take me off the blood thinner, I would have a TIA (mini stroke) in my right eye. There was no permanent damage from the TIA's but because of that, I am on a 325mg aspirin and Plavix(blood thinner) for the rest of my life. I am now 57 and am very thankful for the PED since coils and clips were not an option due to the location of my annie. I am doing so well, that follow up is every 3 years with a MRI. I wish for you to have a successful surgery also!

Amen!!!

I had two pipeline stents placed in January 2014 at Jefferson. I was five months pregnant at the time and other then what others have mentioned with recovering from the fatigue and headaches a bit over about a year and a half, I have been feeling great with regular dosage of at this point just baby aspirin. Initially I struggled with some visual disturbance but overall I am feeling well and Iā€™ve committed to regular exercise and change my diet quite a bit and Iā€™m feeling better now than I have in a really long time. I am 35 years old.

I had both pipeline stent & coiling for my wide necked 9 mm behind my right eye in August 2013. Successful surgery but had a small stoke a month later. My situation is unique as I was only a year into my cancer recovery & my body was struggling to recover. It took a while for my body to accept the stent but am working almost full time. Although I tire very easily, bright lights cause dizziness and too much noise overwhelms meā€¦would make the same choice to have this surgery. Best of luck please let us know how you are doing.

I also had Pipeline surgery, almost 3 months ago. I haven't had any side effects so far and will be going back for my follow up MRA in June. Definitely a good way to go in my opinion as recovery was quick and it is very non-invasive, though I haven't had any other aneurysm surgeries to compare it to. Best of luck to you!