Pipeline Flow Diverter Stent Surgery Successful!

Good morning all, just checking in to update that Pipeline stent on yesterday was successful. The last I remembered in the OR was having an oxygen mask and told to take deep breaths, next thing I waking up with a dozen people doing a number of things and hearing a few say “wake up hun” and I said “we’re done? It’s over?” They laughed and said “yes you’re done, and we are taking you to ICU”. Team kept family updated every 30 minutes. Neurosurgeon said it was a success and goals were met.

The goal - no quick fix in this case, only one stent would be placed but would not completely cover the annie because it is unique where it sits on the carotid artery attached to my left opthalmic artery which if blocked completely could cut off the flow to the OA with no guarantee collateral arteries will step in to do the job. If the flow diversion was not achieving the goal, a second stent woul have been used. Thankfully the first stent met the goal. The plan is to watch it up to 6 months and if it stays the same or stop diverting properly then we can do a second stent and watch for another 6 months and if that fail, just clip. By thst time we would have evidence if collateral arteries are stepping in for the OA.

Had to lay flat for 6 hours, foley was removed at 5th hour, no pain in groin area and no hematoma or bruising, throat was sore but much better after i ate, no nausea or vomiting from anesthesia, no headaches so far, blood pressure was high and was given meds to bring it down/maintain to their systolic range between 120-150, walking and moving around is good. Should be released later today. Breakfast just arrived, I’ll check back with more updates later. Thank you all for your kind words and prayers. Family for life!

7 Likes

Jammies this is great news! Congrats and happy dancing!

1 Like

@jammies So happy to hear you are done and well!

1 Like

Wonderful news! I am so happy for you.

1 Like

UPDATE: I’m home!!!

No pain meds were prescribed just told to use Tylenol Extra Strength but if serious pain occur contact Neurosurgery team. Follow-up with NP in one week for groin check and Neurosurgeon in 2 weeks.

Happy to answer any questions!

2 Likes

Congrats - you and I had similar experiences for the procedure. I’m now 3 months out and absolutely no effects. Follow up angiogram is in October. Hang in there!

1 Like

Thanks ya’ll! @luckyj @Ida @Moltroub @jenniferlgro

Very happy for you jammies!!!:slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi!So glad that you have gotten through everything.I understand having to lay flat for 6 hours.When I had heart surgery I also had to lay flat 6 hours.I just read you are home.Doesn’t it feel so good to be home.Rest up and good wishes.:sunflower:

1 Like

@teresak - Thank you! Yes it feels really good to be home. I only had to lay 2 hours for the angiogram but was not expecting 6 hours but then again it was “surgery” and was thankful they gave me wedge pillows for my left leg but had to keep the right (entry) straight the closer to the 6th hour.

I didn’t understand at first why so long.But next to me was a man also needed lay flat.He was dreaming was home and got up.It was a crazy mess with the artery.So you did good.Hope you feel better each day.

1 Like

That’s great news Jammies!! I just read about the “goals met”!! I’ll be thinking of you for the 6th month check up to stay the same so you won’t need another stent.
Just so glad it went so well!!
Take care,
Mary

1 Like

Thank you so much @Kipkate. I’m having faith that I won’t need another one.

The joys of surgery!:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I am scheduled to get an MRA in October to check on the annie and at that time we will schedule a follow-up angiogram.:pray:t4:

1 Like

You’ll do great! Keep us posted

1 Like