Partially thrombosed giant aneurysm

I’m so glad to have found this community of people whose lives have been impacted by brain aneurysms. My mother, who was 82 years old at the time, was diagnosed in 2012 with a large aneurysm in her left frontal lobe (“off the ACA”) and treated endovascularly with coiling. At the time, she had been fainting, which was why they did the CT scan.

After the coiling, she had only one followup scan, and was told the coiling had been successful. Then, 6 years later, in August of 2018, she suffered a bleeding stroke from the site of the aneurysm and lost movement in her right leg and the ability to speak. The aneurysm had grown from 1cmx1cm to 3cmx2.5cm, and was now considered a “giant, partially thrombosed” aneurysm. Her neurosurgeon described it to us as a growing tumor-like mass that would continue to wreak havoc on her brain, and recommended a pipeline procedure which could hopefully isolate it, allowing it to shrink.

Unfortunately, the bleed had been too extensive for the doctors to recommend surgery, so we settled for palliative care for mom and thought the end was near. She had many horrible months from August through the spring of 2019, but eventually, she began to speak and gain strength, and now she can sustain the wheelchair and talk easily with us! She is still in nursing care and incontinent, but she can play bridge (her favorite pastime), order us around, and complain about the nursing home staff. She has come a very long way and is nearing the anniversary of her bleed last summer.

The one big question we’ve been left with is “what is mom’s aneurysm like now?” Since she hasn’t had any scans since the stroke, we don’t know if it continued to grow, stayed the same, or even shrank. We only know that she is still with us, and with the exception of not being able to use her right leg, almost back to normal. It’s a real exercise for all of us in living each day as it comes.

So no matter how bad things might seem after a burst aneurysm, they may get much better. Multiple doctors told us to prepare for mom’s death, but we are very grateful for how things have improved this past year.

2 Likes

First want to say welcome!Sharing your story has encouraged me to know we all have that fight to live through the hardest of times.But so sorry your Mom and family have gone through so much.Iam so grateful for my family.My husband has been right by my side.My two adult daughter’s and son-in law are always helping.Iam recovering from BA’s surgery craintomy,2 clipped and second surgery coming up on Dec.3 another BA’s craintomy&clipped.It sounds like your Mom, is a fighter.My brother says;Sis your a cat with nine lives.I feel so grateful you’ve joined the community.Everyone is so nice and they also can understand what your going through.I will keep your Mom and family in my prayers.Thank you for sharing your life.:sparkling_heart:

I’m really glad you’re able to keep enjoying the presence of your mother. What I was told with my parents, is that we come to a certain age where it’s too risky to do any more procedures. Sounds like she is in a great facility, visit her often and remind her how much she means to you.

You have to be thankful, She was with you until now as you said she’s in the 80’s…Very greatful to hear that!
I think we have the same Annie attacker’s sorry, if I named it that way it’s really new for me then; but with the same one. And I was first operated 2005 in the Philippines in V-LUNA MEDICAL HOSPITAL( a military hospital with a ct scan nor MRI. without any new technology then. I think gives my family the scare of their lifetime to be the first diagnosed ANEURYSM and I was only 28 after giving birth, they say I was too young. I think it’s not the age, gender nor nationality that counts but it’s your Faith in which to believe in that matters now. by the way welcome and please feel free to ask any quentions in your mind so we can or I will surely love to answer it without a blink of an eye…
“seeing is believing”
LOVELOTS,
Maes

Thanks, Teresa! You have been through so much, so your positive attitude means a lot to me. Looking forward to participating in this forum and learning from all of you!

Thanks, Moltroub. I am grateful I can still talk with mom and show her how much I care. And yes, she has lived a long life, and procedures are risky, but right after the bleed, the surgeon was at first very eager to do the pipeline procedure (even though she was 88!) When the MRI showed how much bleeding there had been, she told us there was much less chance of a positive outcome.

Hello Maes. You are so inspirational and have been through so much. Keep the faith!

I have learned so much from reading posts through this group. It is inspiring and humbling to learn what others with aneurysms have dealt with and overcome. Thank you for sharing this story.

1 Like