Paraclinoid Cerebral Aneurysm

Anyone diagnosed with one? Tell me how surgery went. If you either had coiling or clipping. thank you

Ellen., welcome...

Mine was the supraclinoid segment...which is essentially the same as the paraclinoid...of the Internal Carotid Artery (ICA). Is yours on the right or left side?

You may want to google: internal carotid artery segments (or anatomy); depends on what all was reviewed with you...

Have you been with both a neurosugeon and a neurointerventionalist for questions?

I was coiled...some of our members have had great success and are pleased; I personally would not do another... We each have our experiences and opinions...

Wishing you the best...

Pat

Mine is on the left side. And I’ve seen 3different nuerosurgeons
Thank you

Ellen,

If considering the minimally invasive procedure... google: internal carotid artery tortuosity...

I have no expertise...only the results...So I highly encourage you to ask the doctors about tortuosity...it is the depth of the turns/curves of the ICA...we can all vary by our God's gift...

If it may add some humor...think of driving on a tight curvy road; or imagine the take-off/ landing of the correct arterial tract by an angiocraft pilot...

Prayers for your decision and results..

Pat

Hi Ellen-

If you search my posts you'll see my story. One of mine (I think the one that they were able to coil) was paraclinoid. I was coiled and stented, and am fine. It's totally clotted over and not even technically an aneurysm anymore. My neurosurgeon does both clipping and coiling and in my case definitively recommended coiling, but many factors come into play, and as long as you and your parents feel good about your surgeon, then I would trust his recommendation. Sometimes it's pretty clear to them as to which procedure is best.

Good luck - you are brave, and you will be fine!!!!

I planned on getting a craniotomy

Ellen, I had a paraclinoid aneurysm clipped in April 2011. It was on my left ICA and the aneurysm was resting on my left optic nerve. I did lose some fields of vision in the left eye due to damage to the optic nerve. Clipping was the much recommended surgery due to location. Paraclinoid aneurysms are tricky for the neursurgeons.

Craniotomy went well - expect your eye to be swollen and face to be bruised. I was recovering well after 4 weeks but had a relapse due to a staph infection - a rarity. Good luck.

Arleen...I am so pleased for you...

For the right recommendations / decisions for you....

I have asked "ask the doc" about the tortuosity...to be assured I am not interpreting it incorrectly...

I am so glad for you for the right decision...

Hugs,

Pat

Ellen,

I am so pleased for you...and, that you are receiving data on both sides...if any questions are jogged, you can always ask your surgeon again....

When are you scheduled for treatment; and/or next follow-up discussion?

Prayers,

Pat

Thank you so much I will look up your story!

Thank you for letting me know how your clipping went!

Well with my original surgeon it was planned may 20th 2013. Last week I decided to change me surgeon so I do not know when my surgery date is exactly but I do know it will most likely be in may still.