Over 5 years and doing great!

I had an unruptured aneurysm. Age 42. I had had a general MRI a few years earlier and they hadn’t seen anything, so it came on quite fast and we only caught it because I went to a neurologist for migraines that got worse. I had assumed it was due to perimenopause (and it ended up being salt in my diet). Anyhow, after consulting with local doctors, I didn’t like their strategy and consulted with Barrow Brain and Spine. They recommended a bypass. I had an STA-MCA bypass. I was fine coming out of surgery, but the next 4 days in the hospital were brutal. Took a few months, maybe 8 to get most of energy back. Took about 3 years to get all of my energy back. I am doing great. I do get weird face pains sometimes which I think may be the plates, but I’m not sure. Thanks to modern medicine and this support community and my excellent doctor Dr. Lawton. The follow-up care by the nurses wasn’t great at Barrow (not very empathic and they didn’t get ice- my family took care of that for me thank god). They were honestly terrible. But the surgery team is what matters and they were great.

2 Likes

Congratulations! I am always amazed with the advancement of medicine. You are just one of the reasons this group continues to be a great support group. You’ve certainly helped a lot of people.

1 Like