Off Topic Humor/Humour in the Hospital

So @Bsgirl had started a topic on radial or femoral entry for angiograms. We put in a couple of experiences that are outright funny. So this topic is off topic, doesn’t need to be about aneurysms, just funny experiences in the hospital which many of us have probably had with hind sight.

I recall one time I was in for a procedure I don’t remember exactly what it was. The RN prepping me was the only one who was dressed in the white uniform with the starched hat, all the other RNs were in various colored scrubs… Hope some of you are old enough to remember those pristine uniforms. Anyways she was giving me morphine and demoral a mix that absolutely I can’t have. I told her this and she insisted that I take it. I said “I’ll throw up”. She gave it to me anyhow, within seconds it seems I did a Linda Blair and projectile vomited all over her uniform! All I could say was “I warned you”. Even though I feel for her, it makes me laugh decades later!

Let’s hear your stories!

4 Likes

Great Idea …!! I am sure we ALL can use a laugh!
Okay I have 2 that stand out
1: after my original burst, I am in the hospital heavily medicated…with about 20 patches stuck to my hair and I am on monitors. Anyone who knows me knows my hair is my security blanket…

So I am laying in bed, in & out of my high, curious as to how bad my hair looks and how much they actually shaved, My hairdresser - who is a gay man, very flamboyant, literally “flies” by my room - in the air - arms and legs out like Peter Pan…and I got sooooo excited my monitors went off - loudly. All the nurses ran in and I am yelling "thats my hairdresser LET HIM IN "
needless to say bc my brain went on overdrive when I seen him - my family was warned - limited visits only lol

2: HIGH again, prepping for surgery to deliver my second child, my mom was going to assist and came in dressed in the green scrubs, I burst out laughing - and started yelling YOU LOOK LIKE GUMBY
she was horrified!

I guess we can admit DRUGS are key in our worlds hahahahahaha

4 Likes

So, mine’s a little different…

I have an AVM rather than an aneurysm (actually, it’s a dural arteriovenous fistula) but they present similar risks and similar approaches to treatment. Obviously, you have to take your family “along” with you when you’re having neurosurgery because they need to know.

My dad lives abroad and I tried to explain what catheter embolization is like. I basically described it as an extreme form of keyhole surgery. You’re with me, right?

This is what he drew…

2 Likes

Oh my gosh y’all :rofl: :beer::beer::beer:

I had my craniotomy and clipping done on 5/17. My 12 year old son was very curious if I would act funny waking up from anesthesia. I was like nahhh… but I was loud, obnoxious and just not myself. First I was told I would have to have an angiogram, that set me off into a crying fit because I hated the experience a few weeks earlier. Then I was yelling “my ass hurts” and asking my husband to rub my butt cheek?? Apparently I was making all kinds of demands and just being very loud in the recovery room. I have no memory of it!

4 Likes

I had to share this one with BH!

@Moltroub
Here is another one. After the follow up angiogram procedure when my neurosurgeon told me that everything looked fine and he was very pleased with the recovery I had made, I told him that my husband had suggested that I could be the doctor’s “show and tell “ and go to fancy hotels :joy:.
I remember I had to tell the doctor that it’s only a joke, when he said definitely. I have to admit that the drugs makes your tongue slip :laughing:

4 Likes

I think it’s always best not to qualify as one of the patients that a doctor wants to use as their show and tell!

I had a brain AVM which was discharging blood into my right transverse sinus. The effect of it was that I could hear the rough flow of blood as it whooshed in from artery straight into the sinus, every second. When I first went to my GP, she referred me for “tinnitus” because I could hear it in both ears (and I think she discounted anything else because being able to hear the same thing in both ears from some other cause was very unlikely).

Anyway, I saw an ENT consultant consequently at the end of August 2016, having already self-diagnosed an AVM.

“So, Mr D, how long have you had tinnitus for?”

“Oh, I’ve had tinnitus for decades. It’s not the tinnitus I’m bothered about. It’s the pulsatile tinnitus.”

Pulsatile tinnitus?”

“Yes”.

The consultant looks for a stethoscope in his drawer and there isn’t one there. I guess he doesn’t use one very often in ENT. He goes to find one.

He plots over my head with the stethoscope, finally pausing over my right transverse sinus. Clearly he has found the AVM because he just stops there, listening to it for quite a while.

Then he makes a phone call to a [I suspect neurology] colleague but only gets to leave a message on the answering service.

Then he turns to me “Well, Mr D, you’re my last patient of the day but my most interesting patient of the day”.

“I’m not sure I want to be your most interesting patient of the day!”

But I was and that was the beginning of my diagnosis and journey into the unknown, very much like people here who have discovered their aneurysm before it has gone pop. As part of that journey, I found the Ben’s Friends www.avmsurvivors.org web site and today find myself here as part of the moderator team helping out @Moltroub

4 Likes

I guess that I will recognize my anniversary a few days early (6/9/18). While I was on the ventilator, I obviously couldn’t talk, so I had a picture of the alphabet and was pointing at letters to communicate. I started to spell something and my wife thought I was spelling to call the funeral home. That one bothered me.

But more of a comical one is that I was convinced that they were moving me around at night to a different room, leaving me in the hallway, right next to the door to the gym, and everyone was going by for a workout. I would tell my family each day that I was in a different room the night before. Everyone got a kick out of that since I was in the same ICU room for my hospital stay.

One day, I was so looped up on medication that I thought I was in a drug den. I ended up pulling my feeding tube out that day.

Lastly, another day I told people that I had seen Kim Jong-un in the hallway. (in yet another room.). Turns out, that the trash barrels had marking that looked very similar to him.

oh well, I guess it’s good to chuckle about now.

4 Likes