New here & mom still in hospital from multiple surgeries for brain aneurysm

Hello everyone. I’m Christie. My mother suffered a brain aneurysm on June 22, 2010. She was admitted to the hospital and the week that followed was the worst of my family’s life. She underwent a coiling, emergency clot removal, clipping and removal of the bone flap in her forehead. They left one clot to dissolve on its own rather than remove brain tissue from both frontal lobes.

At present, July 20, 2010, she is in the Respiratory Care Unit of North Shore awaiting bed availability at a rehab facility. She will go any day now. She is off the ventilator, but still wears the trach collar and has thick secretions so a smaller tube cannot be put in at this time. She opens her eyes, tracks, can mover her hand and fingers, squeeze, move her left foot and twist her left leg and she is now starting to turn her head slightly if she can’t see where the noise is coming from. I was shocked yesterday to see her reposition her forearm over her belly after the nurse took her pressure and placed her arm on the arm rest of her chair. Guess she didn’t want it there!

Does she really recognize me or am I just a familiar face that has been there this past month? I am hopeful and pray she does recover. I look forward to meeting with other survivors to swap experiences and perhaps receive advice.

Nice to meet you all. Thanks for your feedback and God bless!


Hello Christie,and welcome to the forum.I’m so sorry to hear of your mother,when my wife had her aneurysm in 1999,I didnt know what that was,she too was in really bad shape but came out of it a changed person.At night when she sleeps she is constantly moving,jerking.Hopefully in time she will start to recover,but it will take time and all victims of aneurysms dont heal or be themselves quickly.Keep a positive outlook and remember God is watching over her and time will tell…Bill

Hi Christie,

My father ruptured his aneurysm in May 2010. I can relate to you as we have experienced that as well. My father went through a lot, ventriculostomy, coiling, and lastly, VP shunt as his brain cannot absorb the cerebrospinal fluid naturally. He was like your mom at first, barely moving. We feared that he won’t remember us because at first he would stare at us like we’re just strangers. But as time passes by, he constantly improves. Now he’s at home recovering, undergoing therapies and all. He can now walk on his own with little assistance. He can now eat normally though slow (at first he had a feeding tube). There’s still a lot of irregularities in his brain functions but I know he’ll get better in time. So there’s hope :). As they say, as long as the brain is alive, it can learn. :slight_smile: Just be positive. Prayers work a lot of course. :slight_smile:

Chris, Philippines

Thanks for your feedback. Chris, how fortunate for you that just two months later your father is home. My mom is in the hospital over a month now and the way she is “progressing” would be a miracle if she came home before the end of 2010. In the matter of 1 week, my mom had a coiling procedure, clipping, 1 of 2 blood clots removed, a ventriculostomy and part of her skull removed.

I haven’t read too many cases on this site of people who have had all that done to them, let alone in the same week! It seems inspiring to read posts of others having spent 4 days in ICU and then getting moved to another unit and within 2-3 weeks coming home etc. However, I have yet to read of someone as severe as mom. I am trying not to give up hope, but she is going backwards. Now she only opens her eyes if she coughs or if someone calls her name, but then quickly closes them.

This is truly the worst possible thing that could happen to the family right now! UGH!

Hi Christie,

I know how painful and worrisome it is for relatives of aneurysm survivors. For us it was so unexpected. If I hadn’t taken my father’s blood pressure when he complained of headache (it was 220 plus over 100 plus), he may have been gone now. We weren’t aware of aneurysm then. At first we thought it was just a normal headache. My mother even prepared a cold compress before I took his pressure.

My father stayed 9 days in ICU then the rest in regular room. After the ventriculostomy and coiling, he was under observation in regular room already but he was still in coma. Docs were wary if the hydrocephalus is still there. For about 2 weeks after he was out of ICU, his responses were declining. He’s asleep most of the time in a day and had irregular breathing a day before he was moved back to ICU and was operated the next day so he can have a permanent VP shunt. After the operation he’s back in the regular room and we’re glad that his condition improved day after day. So don’t lose hope, it might be like that at first but she will survive it. Think of all the many survivors here. Some of them were operated back in the days when coiling was not yet existing and technology was not as advanced as today.