Need advice on my mother's recovery

Thanks for the update! Medicare is a dual edge sword isn’t it? They have very specific guidelines and it’s good to learn them. https://www.medicare.gov/ Knowledge does give us power! They do follow State and Federal guidelines which means Arizona may be different than where I live. So you need to research that as well. It can be exhausting work! Depending what if any supplemental Medicare can greatly effect what we can receive from the insurance company.

Dehydration can have a really negative outcome on our brains. Hopefully the caregiver will be able to encourage her to drink more.

I hope the best for your mother and for your family.

1 Like

Thank you for the support. I really appreciate it!! My mom still has a feeding tube so the caretakers are providing her with hydration that way. She currently had edema so two of her limbs are swollen, but my dad said the swelling is going down. Her family in Panama are very concerned with her health, so I am trying to explain her situation. It is really hard to explain what is happening and at this time the only choice right now is hospice, because my mom’s health is so precarious. I want to also let them know that we are trying everything we can to get her better. My mom’s latest health scare threw us a curve ball because we were going to have evaluation for therapy. I just feel that my mom can get better. She just needs time to repair her brain. She went through such a traumatic event. She needs all the rest she can get.

I’m really glad to read the caretaker is keeping your mom hydrated through the feeding tube! Your Dad, brother and your Mom’s friends that visit may want to learn the signs of dehydration so they can tell the RN right away. Dehydration - Symptoms and causes - Mayo Clinic Since your Mom may still be on a catheter urine bag, it would probably be the easiest way to tell. Maybe @oct20 could provide better insight.

I believe trying to tell family about an issue no one can control or fix is really difficult. Stick with the truth and when you don’t know, tell them you don’t know. You can offer to write their questions down and ask if needed. It’s not really something you can initially send an email but you can tell them emails may be better after your initial conversation. You might could set a day of the week that you will update them which may make it easier for you. I know when I ruptured, BH was getting more exhausted by the day. Luckily, family and a few friends started taking over the updates so just a handful had to be called and of course my parents who were still living and taking care of our old Labrador. For some reason though, family would often say that I had a brain aneurysm, which is true, they just left out the ruptured part which I feel is a lot more serious​:crazy_face::rofl:. So a bit of explaining and education is needed. BH tells me that the best calls that were answered, came from friends who didn’t ask about me, but about how BH was doing. Please make sure you focus on yourself and your family does the same. Everyone needs a break.

Whilst I don’t care for “false hope”. I do believe in miracles, they happen all the time fi we just keep our eyes and hearts open to them. I feel as long as a person is still alive, there is hope that they can pull through a rupture.

@Moltroub @mellalight
When someone is on a feeding tube and has a urine catheter, the caretaker is supposed to have a chart for fluid intake and fluid outtake. A person should never be on minus. If this person has a fever the loss of fluid will be higher due to perspiration. A salt imbalance can also create a lot of problems. A UTI can really mess up a fragile older person, with dementia like symptoms and even hallucinations. Let’s hope for the best and that your mother has the best care possible.

1 Like

You’re the best! Thank you so much. Once again I learn from you!

1 Like

@Moltroub :health_worker:t3::wink:just some basic nursing stuff
My husband told the staff at the NICU that I felt like home amongst them , I remember vaguely asking how the staffing situation was, how long their shifts were, how often they worked etc……:crazy_face: I also tried to check my own beeping monitors :roll_eyes:
My judgement was altered I have to say. I have never cared for someone with a brain bleed and I had no clue what I was doing……

I th8nk that’s hilarious! With no medical background except at a convalescent hospital working my way through college, I still tried to read my monitors. In fact I would ask what they were showing in one room because they had the machine to far behind me. Seems Residents we’re always pushing it further back. The RNs did allow me to use one of the outlets on it to charge my phone once they allowed me to ignore the rule of “no cell phones allowed”. Given enough time, I learned which beep went to what. The really high pitched beep I landed my monster as it hurt my head something fierce.