Nausea, fatigue, ocular migraines, and more

Has anyone experienced nausea after endovascular brain
surgery? I find that in the three weeks since I had surgery not only do I have fatigue, but I lost my sense of smell and taste, lost a lot of hair, have no appetite, am getting ocular migraines, and am nauseous much of the time. It’s very hard to eat when you feel like this. Any suggestions? I sure hope this doesn’t last long!

Have you reached out to your neurosurgeon yet? Being so close to when you had your procedure that would be a great place to start. Did you have a craniotomy or an endovascular procedure? There is a difference in the post procedure healing process. I’ve learned that here, I’ve only had endovascular procedures.

For me, the culprit for some of those symptoms has been the dye and the anesthesia. I have to hydrate a lot, eat protein and rest, Yes ma’am, it is hard to eat when we don’t feel good. I use soda crackers and chicken noodle soup. I also use protein drinks. Try hard not to self medicate as the majority can cause secondary headaches.

Hey Deb,
I’ve required a few neurosurgeries, but none of them have been endovascular. At 3weeks, you are still VERY early on in your recovery. Some dr’s like to give us the 6-8week recovery timeline and for some people that timeline can work. But for others it can take a bit longer and then for some there can be ongoing issues.

I’ve had those symptoms with every neurosurgery. Im 10yrs on from my last intracranial surgery and I still have many of those same symptoms today. (i’d like to blame my hair loss on it all too :astonished: :rofl: )

My smell and taste have returned, although somewhat altered. My appetite has also changed and I have to remind myself to eat. I’ve lost a LOT of weight. For me, the nausea is on a sliding scale
with the headaches/migraines which are ever present, it’s the intensity that varies.

And the fatigue?? OMG!!! It’s not just that normal tiredness. The exhaustion is WAY beyond normal. Tasks that were simple are now sometimes overwhelming. And it’s never the same. Some days, no problem. Some days… …forget it.

How do I manage?
I’ve worked out my ‘limits’. My body gives me signs, subtle at first, but if I keep pushing my limits, those signs get more intense. If I ignore them further the consequences are me laying in bed in a dark, silent room, clutching my skull in agony curled up in the foetal position. NASTY. I know this, so I avoid it. I have learnt I MUST listen to my body.

I have what I call my ‘Toolbox’. Things I can do to manage.
I have medications. Some lesser strength, some ‘Knock me out’ strength. I start with the lesser, if they work all is good. If not I may need something stronger. If I’m taking the ‘Knock me out’ meds, I also need a hospital. I’m in agony to be taking them. There are ‘some’ medications that can assist with nausea, but I would recommend you speak to both your medical team and a pharmacist about this as these medications can often mask unforeseen symptoms.

I ask myself a few questions “What have I done to trigger this?” I have a few differing triggers from bright light to loud noises to life stresses/lack of sleep to over exertion etc and they all add to my ‘load’. If I can identify a reason why, I seem to be able to accept it a bit better. I then try to avoid those triggers if I can. If it’s environment ie light/sound, Change the environment. If it’s activity related, change the activity. When I can’t identify why or a cause it can be frustrating. I have found at times, my body needs a ‘reset’. I need to sleep, even if it’s just 30-45 minutes, but that sleep resets my body clock, which often resets the headache.

There really is no “Magic Pill” or remedy. If there was I would have found it by now :rofl: and what can work wonders for one person maybe of very little use for another. So finding works for you can be a case of trial and error.

Merl from the Modsupport Team

1 Like

I had endovascular, and I really didn’t expect any of this! Thank you so much for your help. Every bit of info helps, since my neurosurgeon only does the surgery, and not much after it’s over. He’s referring me to a neurologist!

Seems that happens to all of us. But do try hydration, protein and rest. It’s my Neurosurgeon’s mantra.

Fatigue is really common as you’ve been through a lot and your brain needs to get used to not feeding the aneurysm so it takes a good amount of time. How much time is dependent upon the person.

It might be that in a few weeks or months, everything will straighten itself out. The anesthesia and I get along better than the dye and myself. The more angiograms I had, the longer my recovery, except when she installed the stent. I don’t know what John gave me but it was great and I recovered really quickly.

1 Like

Thank you so much. I’ll do what you say. This makes me wonder though, will I ever return to normal.

Honestly, I don’t believe in “normal”. Just because I’ve seen a few years and I have changed as I get older. It may also be because in college, we often asked or were asked “what is normal?”. Though BH often has to tell me I’m not 20 anymore. Eventually you will get back to your regular activity level or close to it. I am a big believer in taking walks, walking does my soul good even if it’s around the yard.

I know if after a brain procedure, I push myself too hard. I pay for it. Slow and easy does win this race. If you have a hobby you enjoy, try doing it. It helps as well.

Are you still planning on moving down to Arkansas?

1 Like

Thank you so much! Honestly, it really helps to talk to someone else who’s been through this. I need to have a CT scan is Saturday because my blood test showed high liver enzymes. Too many things to worry about!
Yes, I’m still planning on moving to AR. That’s because my daughter lives there and will be able to help. My grandkids too. Here in WI, I have my son, but he has a wife he needs to take care of. I’ll come back for my 6 month checkup, but I really need my daughter!

Debbie

Normal? Hmmm, what on earth is that thing you call ‘normal’ ?? :rofl:

Approximately 6 months prior to the surgical journey I landed my dream role, I was studying at the time and was about to complete my qualification. I’d started a new relationship, and everything was going FANTASTIC. Life was good, hell, life was great and then… …BOOM!!! And I woke up in hospital with this monster wearing steel cap boots, trying to kick and bash his way out of my skull via my forehead.

I’d worked really hard to get to where I was and I’d be damned if I was going to let it all disappear, so I pushed myself to recover and I returned to my role. I wasn’t well (I’ll admit to that now, but at the time my focus was returning to my job), but I made adjustments. Three months later and I was back on the operating table having further neurosurgery.

The recovery, my thoughts were ‘I’ve done this before. I can do it again.’ Only it wasn’t like before and as much as I pushed myself to recover, my body pushed back. So, I pushed myself harder, thinking ‘I can beat this…’ something went ‘POP’ and I was again on the operating table. This time I’d done myself a MAJOR setback/injury. I tried to adjust and adjust to accommodate, but my body was having none of it. It took me a couple of years to get something resembling a type of ‘Normal’, not my former ‘Normal’ not by a long shot, but I could function. It became my ‘New normal’.

This ‘New normal’ meant I had to limit my activity, limit my life and I hated it. I could push my body’s limits, but there was always a consequence in doing so, usually balled up, in a dark, silent room, clutching my head in AGONY. I’d adjusted and adjusted so much I’d lost sight of my former ‘Normal’. I was too busy trying to manage this ‘new normal’. It took me a good 12-18months to accommodate the changes. Some days I managed really well, some days it all managed me. I had to be prepared to deal with whatever the day threw at me.

I had 15years of managing this ‘new normal’ fairly well and BOOM, I was back in surgery, only this time there was very little recovery and that year I had 3 more neurosurgeries. I tried and tried to return to my former role, but my body was having none of it, even in trying to do a couple of hours work was all too much and I, very reluctantly, had to resign.

I believe that the neuro journey is different for everyone. I’m often saying, “Some people can bounce back relatively unaffected, some can have lingering short term issues, but then some can have lifelong problems and there really is no measure of who, when or why.” Just when I think "Ha, I got this thing beat…’ it up and bashes me into submission. I have to listen to my body. When it says ‘STOP!!!’ I have to stop or pay for the consequences.

This is a time to be kind to yourself. Take the time your body NEEDS and not just the time your mind (or the Dr) expects. From my experience, the slower you take it, the better the recovery.

Merl from the Modsupport Team

That’s a grand plan! How wonderful to be around the grandkids. When is the big move? Are you driving? There was a time when I could have driven 12 hours and not feel it, I’d have to make that trip a two day one. You could stop and see the arch in St. Louis! It really is impressive.

AR is a beautiful State in its own right, we drove through there multiple times when going to visit my parents who lived in Missouri. We did learn one thing, when the Asplundh trucks are heading in the same direction you are but the birds are flying in droves the opposite way, follow the birds. We hit a terrible ice storm, Almost got hit head on by a semi that crossed the center divider and got stuck in the car for 20 hours with a young puppy. The storm followed us all the way back to Alabama, we had nowhere to pull over after the first stop. I think Trouble peed for 30 minutes once we were able to pull over. It was better when Dad lost a bet with BH and they moved to NC.

I hope your CT scan goes well for you.

Sure am! Just wish I had the energy to pack! :roll_eyes:

A box a day gets AR closer! Moving is stressful. You might see if a couple of friends can help you out for a short time. We just moved to a different county and we are still trying to unpack since March! Took over a month to find our daily silverware. BH must’ve unpacked every box labeled “ktcn”. They were still in the drawer at the old house :crazy_face::joy:. I found some of my tools in a box marked “msr brm shoes clths” in one of those boxes for hanging clothes in. If you find an 8mm socket, I’ll claim it​:rofl:. It was the first time we ever hired someone to pack and move us, thankfully it’s also the last.

Thank you! Very good advice

1 Like