Thank you for sharing your experience with me. You certainly gave me a lot of practical information.
I live in Northern New England which now resembles Norway, after getting tons of snow. I learned about my aneurysm in July 2014. I was told that it had showed up eight years prior on an MRI at 4mm, but not clearly enough to identify it (except now in hindsight). Once discovered, my surgery scheduled about three days after for moderate to severe spinal stenosis (in my neck) was postponed for six months by a local neurosurgeon. I was referred t a hospital in Boston, Massachusetts. I waited patiently several months to hear from them. Finally, I got through to them at the end of October. I wasn't favorably impressed. The neurosurgeon was a pediatric surgeon, who immediately said, "I don't want to do surgery". The doctor from radiology didn't make it and sent a very young interventionalist, 30 minutes late. He acted silly, and I was not impressed. I went back to the local neurosurgeon for another referral . That's when I found out that he had quit his job suddenly, leaving the rest of his help looking for new jobs by December. But, they had a list of referrals. I made another choice and was seen right away. I brought all my test results and images with me. my appointment was with a cerebral vascular neurosurgeon. He looked everything over and had an angiogram done. Then he said that he was concerned because the aneurysm now 7mm instead of 6mm was leaning toward the membrane, which is what they do before they rupture. He could operate on it, and it would be gone. Or, if I would rather, I could get it coiled, but it might come back.
Then he said that he could get at it easily. So, I decided to get it clipped. Then he said he would be on vacation, but would be back in a week. Well, I had my surgery scheduled. That was not to be, as he had an emergency surgery. Then one by one we all got an upper respiratory infection that we couldn't shake. With me it took three different antibiotics, two rounds of Prednisone and inhalers to get the constant coughing to stop. When I finally could go ahead with the surgery we got one blizzard after the next. The snow mounds are seven to eight feet high. I was positive about getting this taken care of, but the wait has taken its toll on me. I notice that for the most part, people who elect coiling will bounce back faster. Those electing open surgery tend to have a more complicated and lengthily recovery. On the other hand, the coiling may have to be done several times. The open surgery does seem to wipe out the aneurysm at once.
My surgery is scheduled for Tuesday, March second. As you can imagine it's been a roller coaster ride. I probably won't get the neck taken care of for another year. They don't like to schedule these surgeries too closely together. Now, after all of this waiting, I'm getting a little nervous. I've been very positive, fighting to get this taken care of, and now I'm getting nervous not just about the surgery but also about the recovery period. The nurse practitioner gave me information that was different from what the doctor told me. The differences were statistical and I was also given a longer length of time. for the surgery than what the surgeon said. Then I was told that I would have to be there by 5:30 am. My ride is saying he's going to stay up all night before bringing me there for surgery. Doesn't make me comfortable. Thank you so much for your replying.
I'm wondering if they can graft some kind of a bypass eventually for you, after they find out the significance of the small artries.