My balance is an issue

My surgeon never said to be careful of anything.
Funny how some people’s Drs advise them to be careful of certain activities or diets…I barely remember mine and don’t remember seeing him except once during bad vasospasms when he said I’d be there for a while. I just don’t want to set my horse up for a problem if I have one. He’s to important to me and 30 this year. What did you have for horses? My rehab coming home were critter chores and yard work…not that I had a choice…I live alone. No support or help save what I pay for lol :slightly_frowning_face:

My wife was told to avoid kayaking. She has never gone kayaking before or since. We did ask about motorcycling, and were basically told to use our best judgment and avoid anything dangerous.

1 Like

I too have some dizzy spells. They often happen when I have had a long day, I am more tired or dehydrated. They seem to happen in spits and spurts. I’ll have then for a few days in a row and then not again for several weeks. Doctors thought is was blood pressure or hydration. Seems kind of strange that before the rupture, no balance issues, after the rupture balance issues that are now blood pressure and hydration. Not sure why those are a problem after the rupture. I think it is just a side effect and I have to live with it. Doctors don’t like that reason.

1 Like

It is amazing what Dr’s say and think…I’m lucky that the Neurosurgeon who fixed my rupture knows I don’t like to be still. She has insisted that I use all safety devices around my Woodworking tools, because of my tremor and balance issues.

My first horse was a mix of Quarter, TW and Appaloosa. My folks said no to a horse. I saved my money collecting bottles, cans, newspapers and was about to buy a used dirt bike. Folks decided horses were safer. We were hit by a drunk driver, she tried to keep me In the saddle by the way she moved. The Ranchero shattered her gaskin. She was in foal to a Triple A Running Quarter who was unproven. The next horse was an Anglo Arab at 15.3 hands. She had kicked the previous owner in the head, picked her up for $5.00. Dad bred her to an Arab without my consent, while I was stationed in FL. I didn’t care for the way the owner of the Arab bred. A friend willed me three Quarter Horses to help me through college, two of the Poco Bueno line (cutting horses) one was a Racing Quarter granddaughter of Man O War. Dad had Morabs, his first mare came from a long line of Endurance winners out of Idaho. We also kept several head for me to retrain. Dad did most of the ground work training, whilst I did all the “back” work. I think the scariest time was when I was in JC and one of my instructors asked if the hills that were in fire was close to our place. I was taking care of two of the neighbors barns who were on vacation. Hop sent every trailer our JC owned as well as asking the Ag students to help out. We moved 72 head of horses in about 90 minutes with Hop Estes doing the logistics. No computers or cell phones back in those days.

1 Like

Wow you have had a horsey life! I’ve had them for 51 years but mine all live to old age so I’ve only had 6 total, 2 I rehomed including the horse of my dreams he was my 2nd Morgan. After the accident in 2016, Traumatic SAH, I had trouble keeping up with 2 and my Rocky Mtn. Horse is 30 with Cushing and insulin resistance. So I rehomed the Morgan who had a great future and kept the ornery sick one :laughing:
I’ve never been without one though and not sure I could :horse: my big problem with riding again is that i am so dizzy and I live alone and if something were to happen there’s no one to care for the other critters and all needs to be done around here so I play it safe. I think I’d of just done it by now but my Dr found 2 Annies on my 2016 scans in 2018 and I had one fixed in 2019 which ended up a 17 day ICU stay. Been a year now and I’m itching to ride again…
Watching one other annie and still dizzy so…:face_with_raised_eyebrow:
Would have to find supervision too…
In any case I’m just happy to have :horse: my boy
Stay safe and well, fun chatting horses thanks

2 Likes

I can tell you my surgeon also said no more horse riding … didn’t explain why, but I figure that all the bouncing/jarring could not be good for me

But why didn’t they tell us no more bicycling, football, soccer or skateboarding🤣

1 Like

Really!