MRI after clip is installed?

I'm curious if anyone else has had this experience...I saw my orthopedic surgeon today for a torn rotator cuff and he said I couldn't ever have another MRI because of the clip in my brain. I am currently trying to contact my neurosurgeon to get the straight scoop, but has any one else been told this? Maybe I need to see a different orthopedic surgeon.

From what I’ve read from other members, some have a card and it will say if it’s compatible. Hope you get lots of answers JT.

Just went through all of this for a MRI ordered by my surgeon 99% of the time ( all current clips) are titanium which have no impact on MRI’s although they do leave a bright spot which makes it hard to tell if anything new is going on ( in the brain)

Just had an MRI today. You just need to have a card from your surgeon saying you can the MRI and it should be fine.

Hi JT
I have multiple clips in my brain and they are made of non ferromagnetic metal so they are Ok to have an MRI with. My current neurosurgeon gave me a card that I keep in my wallet that says an MRI is ok up to a certain setting. But I had to ask my original surgeon about the clips he put in. They are ok but I would definitely wait until you get word from your surgeon. I would think that in modern times all of the aneurysm clips would be MRI ok, but just make sure for peace of mind.

It depends on the metal used. I've been trying to get this information for months. They keep saying it should have been sent home with all the info like the manufacturer, company and other stuff. However I wasn't and nobody can tell me when I call. Finally last week they said to fill out a former to have my medical files released and the info should be in there! Good luck hope you can get an answer sooner then i. However my surgeon did retire after my surgery so that might have made for a stranger process.

No, he could be right. It depends on the year you had your clipping done. I can't remember what year they changed the clips, but they used to make the clippings where you could not have MRI's afterwards. They have sinced changed it, but you would need to find out from your neurosurgeon's office which clippings were inserted.

If you can't contact your neurosurgeon, then try to find out through the department of imaging sciences (radiology) at the hospital where the procedure originally occurred. Their records should indicate what type of coil/clip was used during that time period. Somebody has to have records.

Yes, this information will be in the operative report of the surgery, which is available through medical records at the hospital or neurosurgeons office. You’ll have to sign an authorization form & ask for the date, ect. I have 3, which are titanium, installed 12/2014, and fine for an MRI. I have had one MRI after craniotomy and no problem. Hope this helps!

I've been coiled and even that is questionnable - I am told certain MRI machines can handle the metal I have and others (I believe the older models) cannot - therefore they will check to be sure with the hospital who performed the surgery.... I had mine done 7 yrs ago and only very recently found this out since I'm having an MRI at a different hospital for the first time - the hospitals work this out between themselves

All they need is the operative report…that is what I had to take with me for my MRI after craniotomy. The exact type of clip, material, model number, ect. is stated in there.

They can fax hospital a copy of your clip make,model,expiration. Ask for a copy to keep with you.

I had issues getting an MRI done after my craniotomy in November 2011. The hospital that I scheduled the test at advised me that their MRI machine was too strong for the clip that I had put in and had to go somewhere else. I told the representative that my neurosurgeon said that it is okay with the type of clip I had put in. My neurosurgeon made numerous phone calls to the hospital saying it was okay. He provided me with a card that states what type of clip was put in and that the type of clip I have is safe to 3.0 tesla. The company name, address, phone & fax number and website address are listed on the card as well. Your neurosurgeon should have the type of aneurysm clip info for you as well as the hospital operative report.

Just as ones have said, you can get a copy of the material, model, and type of the clip you have. Most places can help you find somewhere your clips ae compatible. Hope everything works out!

I dont know about MRI's but I got a CT scan done after my clipping, and another CT scan 8 months later because of piercing headaches I was getting in the same spot I had my aneurysm. Coiling might be different because the coil is metal and I dont know how it would be affected by the xray.

I had a clipping, and my surgeon told me that my clip was MRI compatible. There was more info about the clip in my operative notes. You definitely need to check with your neurosurgeon. Good luck!

Titanium clips were approved by the FDA in 1995. Streaking is still possible on titanium clips thereby negating the usefulness of MRI in identifying abnormalities surrounding the clip. Tesla strength is also a consideration because titanium is composed of a small amount of ferromagnetic alloys to create closure tension. +

Hi JT,

Welcome!

I had a brain aneurysm clipped in 2009. My neurosurgeon told me I could have MRIs, no problem. But it became a problem because every MRI place I was sent to for scans in the years that followed refused to MRI me without documentation from my surgeon. He wrote a letter. That was refused because it did not have the manufacturer of my clip and the model number of my clip.

As you probably know, clips have changed over the years. There are many different types. MRI techs have to look up the make and model number of your clip in a big reference book and document it on your scan order. If it is not safe, and they scan someone, the patient could die from a bleed induced by the magnets in the MRI machines loosening the aneurysm clip, so it may no longer occlude the neck of the aneurysm.

I knew this. But I could not get that specific info from my surgeon. Years passed. I was in some auto accidents and needed scans. Because I did not have the documentation, MRIs ordered by my orthopedic doctors could not be performed. Instead, I had CT scans, which did not show the type of detail an MRI would have shown (plus CT scans expose the patient to radiation, while MRIs do not.)

Years later, when seeing another surgeon regarding spinal injuries from the accident, I asked him if he had any suggestions about how I could obtain the missing aneurysm clip information. Because he also does neurosurgery, he immediately knew I should ask for the “operative report.” Sure enough, I went back to Medical Records at the hospital where my aneurysm surgery was reformed, requested a copy of that report, and the info I needed was detailed in that long report. Every time I go for MRI now, I take a copy of that report, and I am cleared for MRIs up to and including 1.5 Tesla (magnet strength). The newer machines are 3.0 Tesla. I cannot be scanned on one of those. I do have a medical alert bracelet that says my name, Brain Aneurysm Clip, Max MRI of 1.5 Tesla.

I had shoulder surgery last year from a car accident injury. The recovery time was 3 1/2 months, the same as after my aneurysm surgery!

All the Best,

It’s almost certain that you can have an MRI with the clip, if you got it recently. Most are made of special materials that are safe to a certain “tesla” level (measure of strength of magnet). Your surgeon will be able to prove you with the info- lot# and a statement saying “safe to 6 tesla”. Some places won’t allow you to have the MRI without this card.

I wasn’t given a card because my clip is titanium. I think it depends on what type of clip was used on if you need a card or not.