MRI after clip is installed?

Hi…it depends on when you had the clip put in…the ones that are used now are generally MRI safe…but you need to check with the neurosurgeon and either obtain a card or letter to use. Mine are Codman clips (there are many different ones) and are safe to Tesla 3. I have had many MRI’s since having the clips in place for my Annie, as I have had another 3 surgeries…but on my brainstem. I think I have had about another 10 or so MRI’s since the clipping with no problem…but again…you need to find out which type was used for you.

JT...as you know from all other responses here...there are options...

Please...feel blessed your orthopedic surgeon addressed any potential issues w/you...that in itself is a magnificent blessing...that surgeon did not jump in and do something that can/may cause issues...until s/he knows what was used on you...and, until s/he gets that data...

I was coiled...and, also had orthopedic surgery between ER's (b4 diagnosis/procedures)...that of which I will not post my numerous chapters here..

You likely/presumably will be able to have that surgery done...your ortho doc is protecting you and himself/clinic and any/all other patients...the right thing to do...

Please know you are blessed....to bring this up for you, a card to carry, and for any potential other issues...ER again, any other doc...

Please sense your blessings...your orthopedic doc was not attempting to frighten you...but to be sure he did not (right word?)... "impact" (?) smething already in your system...

Thank you for all you provided...there is so much cross-over in the
age of equipment and and and ... I was 'coiled' in the minimally invasive procedures ..multiple stents were implanted...(not of record... other than billing and the "marker beads" of stents...

There is so much we, as the paying patients...need to be apprised/aware...in our records...

which includes the docs explaining the age of equipment... and limitations on those...

Please feel blessed that your docs who addressed the limitations w/you...as "excellent" docs... they did not put you at risk..

As you know with the "change in clips" over the years...the change in coils/stents have also changed over the years...those marketed as the "new/best"...until the next generation!!! And, the best of any of those ...was the quality of the performer...in knowing when to "recognize / stop".. any "oopsie" o na detachment.. .
As you all likely/presumably know...coils and stents have also been "improved" ...as clips have been...

Thanks, again...for all you provided here...tho I know from my "med records"...and some others...we cannot rely specifically on those "maintained records"...we need detailed data...from itemized billing to much more... for various reasons...I would not rely on the formal "story formats" that are the "maintained med records"...that in detail...do not necessarily track w/billing records... the ICDs and CPTs...

One of these days, I will post data on "codes" of the hellth care industry..

Once more...thank you for your sharing/ in put...

Hi JT,

Welcome!

I had a brain aneurysm clipped in 2009. My neurosurgeon told me I could have MRIs, no problem. But it became a problem because every MRI place I was sent to for scans in the years that followed refused to MRI me without documentation from my surgeon. He wrote a letter. That was refused because it did not have the manufacturer of my clip and the model number of my clip.

As you probably know, clips have changed over the years. There are many different types. MRI techs have to look up the make and model number of your clip in a big reference book and document it on your scan order. If it is not safe, and they scan someone, the patient could die from a bleed induced by the magnets in the MRI machines loosening the aneurysm clip, so it may no longer occlude the neck of the aneurysm.

I knew this. But I could not get that specific info from my surgeon. Years passed. I was in some auto accidents and needed scans. Because I did not have the documentation, MRIs ordered by my orthopedic doctors could not be performed. Instead, I had CT scans, which did not show the type of detail an MRI would have shown (plus CT scans expose the patient to radiation, while MRIs do not.)

Years later, when seeing another surgeon regarding spinal injuries from the accident, I asked him if he had any suggestions about how I could obtain the missing aneurysm clip information. Because he also does neurosurgery, he immediately knew I should ask for the "operative report." Sure enough, I went back to Medical Records at the hospital where my aneurysm surgery was reformed, requested a copy of that report, and the info I needed was detailed in that long report. Every time I go for MRI now, I take a copy of that report, and I am cleared for MRIs up to and including 1.5 Tesla (magnet strength). The newer machines are 3.0 Tesla. I cannot be scanned on one of those. I do have a medical alert bracelet that says my name, Brain Aneurysm Clip, Max MRI of 1.5 Tesla.

I had shoulder surgery last year from a car accident injury. The recovery time was 3 1/2 months, the same as after my aneurysm surgery!

All the Best,

Better safe than sorry, I have 3 clips & my neurosurgeon told me no MRIs, so I just have cat scans, I also have a card in my wallet it lets them know the placement of the clips. Talk with your neurosurgeon or his head nurse. The orthopedic surgeon should also know. Hope this helps. Good Luck

I was told the same thing. I have multiple clips in my brain from surgery for a ruptured aneurysm in 1992. Supposedly, the magnetic pull from the MRI could possibly dislodge the clips, leading to hemorrhage. I've never risked it but I really don't like the idea of not being able to have an MRI either.

JT - here’s the deal. MRIs of a certain strength would cause your clips to pull/move which would cause serious damage/death. HOWEVER…your neurosurgeon should provide you with a medical card that states if you can have an MRI and if so, up to what strength. In my case, with the types of clips they used - called Yasargil clips - I can have MRIs in machines “up to 3 Tesla.” From what I learned, most MRI machines will not exceed this strength and should be safe. All of that said, I would only have an MRI if there was absolutely no other way to diagnose something life threatenening. Otherwise I’d ask for a different type of scan, to be extra safe. Talk to your surgeon and get that card. Carry it in your wallet. I actually have the info on my medical bracelet…just in case I someday I arrive at the ER and can’t communicate…doctors will see my bracelet before just popping me in to an MRI.

you need to make sure your clip is MRI compatible. Mine is. Ask your neuro........

Hello. I had a ruptured (Basilar artery) annie back in 2011 and I had an MRI back a few months ago. I was told by my Neurosurgeon that clips used after 1991 are safe to use in MRI scans. The level of magnetic material in them is low enough for use. I believe they are titanium clips used and they are safe for use in MRI scans. I was worried as well before my MRI so I called and did some research. The only thing to worry about for your MRI is the noise. Its a tad noisy but they give you ear plugs.

Hello JT,
I had a ruptured and clipped aneurysm Dec. 2008 , after a seizure one hospital refused to do an MRI and after getting in touch with my neurosurgeons office they gave me an ID card with the number of the clip and after having had another seizure this past dec I had an MRI and all went well. I think it depends how old your clip is in order to get an MRI done. They use different material now I was told. Try to get your clip number from the place that performed the surgery. Good luck

My neurosurgeon wrote a short explanation of what material the clips are made of, and that they are MRI compatible. I scanned it into my computer so I always have a copy. I print it and take it to any appointment at a new radiology practice. I have my op report and that information is not included. But the make and model number are shown in the OR notes the nurses make.
I have almost all my medical records from my craniotomy. If you request them from medical records and have them sent to your PCP, there is no charge. Then he gives me copies after scanning it into his computer system. If you ask for them to be sent to you, the charge is 25 cents a page and up.
And I’ve scanned the medical records into my computer too.

RE: MRI...please note on Pat S MRI data... re: research on gadolinium...the contrast materials used on MRIs...under FDA review...the class actions earlier on...and some initial dating back to 2005..

Now you may realize why I get so confused and answered twice on this site...as my twisted brain cells waver... w/another piece/part on aneurysmal treatment/status...

With a clip that is not Mri safe, the magnetic field produced by the Mri machine will send your clip spinning like a top on steroids.

Alex...thank you...there are so many pieces/parts...like terminology: hyperintensities and/or

enhance/enhancement...noted in variosue (some?) med records..

Hi JT, I had double clips in my double mca aneurysm last year & have recently had an MRI on my lower back but you must check with your neurosurgeons secretary the type of clips you have & they immediately email the letter to the hospital you need with your surgeons signature stating the name and type of clips used etc & what type of MRI is allowed as they have 2 speed machines, the slower one is a 1.5 Tesla which is fine for MRI & the newer version is a 3.0 Tesla which is not allowed for any clips due to twice the speed & chance of clip movement. Thankfully now most hospitals have both machines or the slower one we can use as there are lots of patients with various bits of metal in different parts of their body. I assume your operation was after 1995 as after that date most titanium alloy used is mostly safe for the slower machine but double check first. Hope all goes well with your shoulder, take care

absolutely can. the clips are made of titanium, I have had several MRIs since my clippings..

I had an MRI on my head within an hour of going to ICU due to vomiting after surgery.