MRA - DSA - Coiling

Hi, i just found this forum and feel relief that i can now share my thoughts.
My mom is a brain aneurysm patient and she is still in the hospital after the VP Shunt surgery on Oct 30th.

As i know fr the doctor at first, she will have the Coiling after VP Shunt to fix the ruptured-blood-vessel problem but now they decided to send her home w/out coiling bcs based on the MRA (on Nov 5th), that ruptured-blood-vessel is already merged with the help of medicine.

I really need your advise for this case. Have u ever found someone who is recovered w/out coiling? And also is there any difference between MRA and DSA as the key before coiling?

Thanks very much…

Yohanna....I hope I am understanding....you said your mother has an aneurysm...that ruptured...and, a Shunt was implanted before they were going to place coils inside the aneurysm...?

Did they possibly implant one of those newer stents...like a PED / other names? Or a basic stent?

I hope I am not adding confusion...at least this may help you in setting up questions for your mother's doctors..

The difference between MRA and DSA (digital subtraction angio filming)

MRA: MR is magnetic resonance; A = angio ...and, the contrast dye (agents, media. medium) for filming...and whatever else.

DSA: Digital subtraction (re: filming)... is in the high ion procedure(s) and, there are several radiation terms: like conventional angio...on to DSA...where they (the docs) select the images ...(as I understand it) MRA and DSA have different "contrast dye" ...

Yohanna...I have no expertise....I barely survived coiling/stents...in my procedure(s) ..

I will come back with some ideas/suggestions to ask the doctors...to set the ones here first.. '

Regards...and welcome from far away...

Hi, thank you for your reply above.

After the shunt implemented, my mother had a MRA and, according to the doctos, the result shown that she doesn't need to have a DSA or coiling.

the doctors didn't implant any PED or stent. they are just saying that my mother can go home and continue the recovery by some therapy and taking a medicine.

i really confused on their decision, because as i know the aneurysm problem can be solved by doing either coiling or clipping.

if u can help me with other explanations, it would be very great.

thank you so much

regards..

Yohanna...I have no expertise...however, I can be very opinionated... suggesting some questions for you to ask the doctors...

1: name of artery and which segment (the # varies much by artery)

2: was it the artery wall and/or the aneurysm wall that ruptured?

NOTE: those walls/distance can be so close...There is a parent artery where the aneurysm is near, or adjacent to, another artery branching off the "parent" artery...

3: what type of aneurysm does (or did) your mother have?

NOTE: most normal size/shape named a "berry" aneurysm ... or a wide-necked aneurysm; or a fusiform ...or any other name / shape?

OR.. did your mother have a weakened artery wall that ruptured...and, not a true aneurysm?

5: which ventricle was being relieved/directed by the shunt?

Note: 4 ventricles: L and R lateral ventricles (the 2 - at the top area of the limbic system - the central base area of our brain where it connects to the spinal column); the 3rd ventricle (below the L/R laterals); and the lowest, the 4th ventricle (near/around the brain stem... connection of brain/spinal cord area) (if you choose to research any words/structures: search online: the name...anatomy and function)

6: Request a CD/DVD of the various images taken from (MRI/A, CT/A; DSA or conventional angiograms, any ultrasounds..,) diagnosis to/for any procedure...the implant of a shunt...

NOTE: Ask them for the Series # and the image #...of the aneurysm

7: Your initial notes are that your mother had a "shunt surgery"

NOTE: Ask them to show the images of the artery that was ruptured...and, the initial diagnosed aneurysm..

Now, each one of these 7 questions/comments...may generate more questions...

RECOVERY: how is your mother?

1: Can she talk? See? Hear? Walk? Have tests been done on her vision / hearing?

NOTE: If not. are they planned / scheduled or recommended in any time frame?

NOTE: is she able to talk / converse with you? Will she be "home alone" or have help?

2: I asked the open questions above...does she have coordination / balance?

Yohanna, I have just taxed (used/drained my brain cells based on my experiences) ..

Prayers for you / your mother...and her recovery...and for you to keep us updated... in success/results.

Warm Regards,

patioplans

Yohanna, I’ve not been able to find anything that says medicine is a viable alternative for treatment of a ruptured brain aneurysm. I did find this from BAF. http://www.bafound.org/treatment-options I might see if your mother would allow you to speak to the Neurosurgeon for clarification.

Are you close to either of these doctors?

http://www.perdossi-makassar.com/2012/06/endovascular-coiling-of-ruptured.html

It might help to get a second opinion.

Dear Patioplans,

Thank you so much for all those points shared. I will ask to the doctor tomorrow while he is visiting and checking up my mother.

Actually her overall conditions are good. She can talk, see, hear, and even everything in details. These factors are also the reason why the doctor insists to send her home.

I really hope that the doctor can reconsider his decision after our deep discussion tomorrow. Bcs i dont wanna take a risk by taking my mother home with the unfinished treatment.

Dear Moltorub,

Thanks also for the link. Although it is far from Jakarta but at least i can have the information to convince myself about this DSA and coiling procedure which is a ''must do" in aneurysm case.

Again, thank you very much for both of you!!!

Regards.

Yohanna...what you have just explained of your mother's status... is so rewarding...and warming..

I hope you will share what is explained by your mother's doctor.. Thank You...

Yohanna said:

Dear Patioplans,

Thank you so much for all those points shared. I will ask to the doctor tomorrow while he is visiting and checking up my mother.

Actually her overall conditions are good. She can talk, see, hear, and even everything in details. These factors are also the reason why the doctor insists to send her home.

I really hope that the doctor can reconsider his decision after our deep discussion tomorrow. Bcs i dont wanna take a risk by taking my mother home with the unfinished treatment.

Dear Moltorub,

Thanks also for the link. Although it is far from Jakarta but at least i can have the information to convince myself about this DSA and coiling procedure which is a ''must do" in aneurysm case.

Again, thank you very much for both of you!!!

Regards.

Hi all, sorry that i just back to this forum.

My mother is already at home for one week. Doctor said she can continue the recovery only by doing a fisiotherapy, no need to do a DSA or Coiling. But we just found out that her scar (after VP Shunt surgery) is swollen/bruised.

Is there anyone has the same case? I am scared of the effect(s) that probably happened.

Thank you very much

Yohanna ...I know some who have shunts...and, hope they will respond on that...

Yohanna said:

Hi all, sorry that i just back to this forum.

My mother is already at home for one week. Doctor said she can continue the recovery only by doing a fisiotherapy, no need to do a DSA or Coiling. But we just found out that her scar (after VP Shunt surgery) is swollen/bruised.

Is there anyone has the same case? I am scared of the effect(s) that probably happened.

Thank you very much