Metal allergy?

I was wondering if anyone has a metal allergy? I have an aneurysm on my left carotid artery. The neurosurgeon suggested I have stent surgery. Last Thursday, I was all checked in at the hospital and the nurses were done preparing me (I had an IV, gave blood…). About a half hour before the procedure was supposed to begin, the nurse asked me if I’m allergic to anything - I said no. She said, what about metals and I said well my wedding ring sometimes bothers my finger (basically every few months I might get a little redness under my ring).
The nurse relayed this to my neurosurgeon who wouldn’t take the chance of be being allergic and cancelled my surgery until I see an allergist.
The allergist is currently testing me for Cobalt which is in the stent. However, my neurosurgeon is insisting I be tested for a platinum also. Apparently there are NO tests for platinum allergies because it is such a rare thing.
Has anyone experienced anything like this? Are there alternatives to metal stents or clips.

Hmmm interesting question. I sometimes get a rash on my wrist under the metal part of my watch. More so if I wear an inexpensive watch. I also have 2 pipeline stents in my brain. One for almost 6 years and one for 2 months. I have not had any type of allergic reaction to the stents that I am aware of. Hope this helps.

Yes, it does help. Thank you! My neurosurgeon was actually able to get a sample of the stent that they will be using. My allergist is taping it to my back for 72 hours. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that I don’t have a reaction. Thank you so much for your reply.

Hi!,oh geez! so sorry you were delayed! There is different kinds of stents, L-vis is a new one my western Auastralian friend got, it was the first one in WA and top neuros from Sydney came to assist! He was very successful btw! tc

That’s good to know. I’m glad that they are making new, better stents and providing other options. It turned out I was not allergic. So I am good to go!
Thank you all for your replies!