Met with Neurosurgeon and Angiogram Scheduled

Hey ya’ll!

I’m a newbie here as I was diagnosed two weeks ago with an 4mm/6mm wide base opthalmic Annie. Annie was discovered during a CTA scan for transient vision loss in my left eye which lasted about 30 seconds and have not since experienced vision loss. After the discovery I was admitted and received MRI/MRA and echocardiogram (I have a heart stent) as part of my workup. Fast forward, today I met with my Neurosurgeon and he discussed angiogram which has been scheduled for Wednesday. He is aware that both my parents had annies - mom ruptured and caused a hemorraghic stroke and she passed several days later; dad had an unruptured and was only watch & see, never ruptured and he passed away 16 yrs after annie diagnosis from colon cancer. This family history is of great concern and the doc expressed the angiogram will allow better optics into getting a better look and determine treatment options.

Now, he did say that the vision loss is not connected to the annie but I am scheduled in a couple of weeks to see the Neuro-Opthamologist. My general Opthamologist gave me a workup last week and determined I have perfect vision, no issues there other than slight pressure in left eye that can be age related but prescribed eyes drops to bring the pressure down as to prevent onset of glaucoma if that eye pressure is left untreated. Neurosurgeon has indicated that if the optic nerves are attached to the annie then more than likely a craniotomy will be performed, if it is not attached then endovascular options will be used. A committee consisting of every doctor (Radiologists, Neurosurgeons, etc.) in that hospital who treat aneurysms will meet and discuss my angiogram and decide on which treatment is best (lowest risk vs risk of rupture). Sorry to be so long winded about this but I am feeling better now that progress is being made toward a resolution. I don’t like thinking about having my head cut open but if that is what it will take to control annie and keep me alive, I am all for it. Don’t get me wrong, I am human with feelings of anxiety and frustration for even having to go through this but I thank the Lord I found out Ms. Annie exist.

1 Like

I am glad there is more clearity now ! Good luck on angiogram , not very pleasent procedure , but it’s great way to see the problem better !

1 Like

I had an angiogram after the annie was diagnosed by an MRI. My annie was also pressing on an optic nerve. At that point the team of doctors decided that coiling and stents was the way to go. I had the procedure on Dec. 5, 2018 and all is well. Sending positive thoughts your way, Ida

2 Likes

Best of luck with your angiogram!

1 Like

Thank you so much! Glad to hear you are doing well.

Thanks, Jennifer!

Thanks, gk79! I have experienced an angiogram before for angioplasty via the arm. This one will be through the leg so I am prepping to have things in place at home so I don’t have to move around as much for at least the first couple of days.

1 Like

Welcome jammies! Wow, your history is amazing. I’m glad you and your medical team are very proactive and positive. On one of my many angiograms, my Doc said she would have to go back in as the coils had compacted. She warned us that if what she wanted to try didn’t work, she would do a craniotomy. I cut my hair short, very short.

It wasn’t that my hair was long, but I wanted some control and I wanted my hair to be somewhat balanced, mostly the control lol. She was able to get the balloon assist to do what she was after, so I was grateful.

I try to control what I can and those things beyond my capability, I do what I am able and leave the rest to those who do what they can. I hope that makes sense. And you’re very smart to have your house in order before the next angiogram. Seems like after one or two, we learn all the things that need to be done before the next one. Usually, I have to have a babysitter, just someone who can call 911. Kids are great, teens that is, because they can get on their tablets or phones and let me sleep. The older folks seem to want to talk a good bit but they also let me sleep. The older folks always want a chore to do as well, unless their “stories” (soap operas) are on. I usually get my protein snacks on a TV tray as well as my water or Gatorade, and I’m set!

Please keep us posted, we are here to help!

1 Like

Thanks, @Moltroub - makes a lot of sense. Yes, if I have to do a craniotomy I would prefer the initial hair cut/shave with a nice line up be done by my beautician/barber just for my own personal embrace & comfort. In addition to my hubby we have grown children and a teenage grandson who will be lending a hand so I am grateful for that. Despite the situation it is also a blessing. I will keep everyone posted.

1 Like

UPDATE: Angiogram completed!!! The docs got great photos (their words)!! There was only one annie detected, praise God! Doc will meet with committee on Friday and call me later that afternoon with decision on either leaving it alone or treating it. If treatment, the best options will be determined.

During the angiogram, they taped my head down to hinder unneccesary movement. I developed a bad headache from the contrast dye but it quickly faded and was told that it was normal. I received the Mynx’d seal. I had to lay flat for 2 hours and was released. From the time the wound was bandaged and during those 2 hours I had the urge to urinate and they gave me a bed pan but nothing came out. One of the neurosurgeon fellows came by recovery to check the wound and said laying flat was the reason it didn’t come out. As soon as the nurse walked me to the bathroom and I sat on that toilet, the tinkle heavens opened up:laughing: Incision spot is expectedly sore, right now I am drowsy and would love to stretch out & lay on my stomach but unable to; so will lay on my back as that seem to be the safest position. Overall, the staff and surgeons were fantastic! They gave me a card signed by the team and Recovery staff. At the moment it is wait and see for Friday. I am drinking lots of fluids to flush out the dye and Fentanyl cocktail:wink:. I will update as I learn more.

If I remember correctly, once they let you walk, eat and urinate, everything is good. I sleep in fetal position and haven’t ever worried about my sleep position. Do what they say about lifting weight. I was most comfy in a recliner or having a pillow under my legs. Reading and tv watching…,

2 Likes

I’m feeling much better today. Still taking taking it easy, of course.

1 Like

Good for you!

2 Likes