Memory

Once again thanks to all you for your wonderful help. My husband in in a nursing home eight now. He had his aneurysm on dec 13 2013 and was just released from the hospital on this past mon. We are very lucky because all his motor skills are good. I am looking for some answers about memory. He is missing some of his memories and others are confused. I know he needs to stay where he is until he get this straight and the Dr, feels it will get better...it may take a few months. He is also very argumentative. I keep trying to explain that he has certain things to do before he leaves but everyday he calls many times for me to come and get him. I have gone to the hospital and nursing home once a day every day at least. Sometimes many times a day. Can any one offer a suggestion as to how I might help him remember and understand that he needs to accomplish certain things. I have even made a short list for him.

Thanks again for your help,

I think a short list is excellent...I know this can be difficult...but truthfully it should get better...you husband is so early in the healing journey...and it takes a long time for many things to return to normal and/or for you both know his new normal...

I hope other's can give you more suggestions...it is something that comes up often for caretakers...

God Bless to you both ~ Colleen

hi akerikson, repetition is your best tool, did he have a sah? if so hang in there it takes a long time, at first i couldn't comprehend the words then i could but they did not make sense that i would survive since an uncle and a friend did not and i thought it was a death sentence, and then denial and i thought surely they were wrong about me having a sah which i had never heard of- everyone just says aneurysm re uncle and friend. Things will get better as he travels thru all the phases of denial acceptance,self pity, anger to name a few, i am 4 and a half years post sah and i'll be glad to answer any questions, keeping you in thoughts and prayers~~

Hi,

I'm so sorry you're having to go thru these up's and down's in your husbands recovery, it must be very difficult to field phonecalls from the one you love yet --and not be able to comply with his wishes, although I know you want nothing more then to do so ! This has got to be when it hits home the hardest for you, that yeah, there are some synapses not yet firing as they should...

I think your list idea is a great one, and maybe bring some photographs of your life together , family and friends, etc....and if he has favorite music, maybe bring in a CD or two for him to enjoy (?)

Peace to the both of you as you get thru this journey,

Janet