Long Term Trauma Management - EMDR

Hello Fellow Aneurysm Survivors,
It’s been 13 years since I had my two craniotomies for annies and I wanted to bring up the topic of trauma. Trauma is held in the body, not the brain/mind, check out The Body Keeps the Score from Bessel Van Der Kolk. I have been a fool to keep saying, “everything is fine, I survived 4 aneurysms that were clipped via craniotomies, as well as a bypass surgery (that failed) and the collateral vessels took over and I am great.” All of that is true and the trauma is still in the body. I started EMDR therapy in the last few months and I highly recommend it to everyone. It’s taking that trauma and dealing with. Reliving the day of the surgery, and how I responded to the aftercare, it’s very helpful in moving forward. Trauma in the body is often manifested in ways like IBS for example. I am very fortunate, I survived and have no long term issues and look forward to releasing the trauma within. I wish you all the best in your recovery.

5 Likes

Hi Sarah,

My craniotomy aneurysm clipping was also done 13 years ago! I have some manageable deficits but I am very grateful for the result I’ve experienced. I do have another aneurysm that is not able to be clipped so we are monitoring that one every couple of years.

Thank you for posting about this topic. A good friend of mine who has experience multiple traumas (not related to brain aneurysms) has highly recommended this book. I have not read it yet but now I shall read it based on your recommendation.

I have subsequently had multiple traumas in my life that are more challenging to me than my brain aneurysms. I am interested in learning more about the EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing) therapy program you mentioned. I found a website: www.emdr.com that has a section that assists in finding a clinician near you.

So happy you shared and are doing well overall.:pray:

1 Like

@Sarah_Se and @purpleplume y’all are wonderful! Here’s to your 13 years!I would just add that for those individuals who don’t think we hold trauma in our bodies, think about those folks who can get ulcers related to stress and not diet, panic attacks certainly effect our bodies, or how about doctors who tell patients who’ve had a heart attack or stroke that they need to manage their stress better?

Thanks so much for starting this topic @Sarah_Se and for adding to it @purpleplume!

1 Like

Thanks @Sarah_Se and @purpleplume for this information. I think I would like to try this therapy. I am going to read more about it. Thank you again.

1 Like