Long term follow up after SAH recovery

My husband is 3 yrs out from SAH. Working again, but with mild cog/memory issues. After he came home, saw neuro doc and sp therapy for about a year, and had a 1yr angiogram check for the neurosurgeon. Since them both his primary care doc and neurologist have retired. I’m trying to get him reconnected. Question: how often and for how long do SAH survivors usually get follow-up checks and/or work with docs?

Hi You need to be your husband advocate. I had a ruptured aneursym 7 years ago that was coiled. At year 1 I had a checkup with my neurologist. He said I was fine if I was not experiencing any symptoms. So no other checkups until year 5 when I called the neurologist and my interventional radiologist to ask them if I needed to be seen after 5 years. Both said that I should probably have an angiogram to check the coils. They were also surprised why no one had followed up with me I the past years. I had the angiogram and they found that my existing aneursym coils had become compacted and I had a second one growing around the base if the first one. My husband and I went for consults with the interventional radiologist and a recommended vascular nuerosurgeon. At end of June, I had both aneurysms clipped . We decided this was the way to go since the coil seem to last only 5 years. So please follow up with your Drs. I am planning on advocating a check up every 3-5 years just to make sure everything stays in its place. Hope that helps best of luck

Thank you! Great info.

I am 6 years out and have had at 1 year a angiogram and then at year 3 a MRA and then in January I will have another MRA.

Thanks!

Darcy choate said:

I am 6 years out and have had at 1 year a angiogram and then at year 3 a MRA and then in January I will have another MRA.