Lacking information

When I left hospital I had a pamphlet on pain and symptom management. That was useful but it did not touch of the emotional component. I got the impression that after the coiling I would have a few bad days with some headaches and pain and with 2-3 months I would be as good as new. So I go from one day worrying about the outcome and then because it was repaired I should be relieved and happy and ready to get on with my life. I have been very emotional . Is this common and expected? I normally take something for anxiety. I just don’t want it to get the better of me.

The Hospital and Neurosurgeon's basically take care of the "now"...the coiling surgery you had and all that took to care for you until you left the Hospital...Most of the day to day care for us is followed by a Neurologist...I developed headaches after the coiling...Neurosurgeon told me to expect for about 6 months...almost 4 years and I still have them...so you see...they are not up on the day to day...My neurologist helps me with my headaches and a lot of emotional support for me...I developed "PTSD" after my surgery...and complications and told from Neurologist this was so normal...I had the depression some, but mostly the anxiety...it took a lot of work and not being so hard on me...to get through it...I too take something for anxiety...but really coming here and volunteering and getting involved with other survivors is what helped me get through a lot of these feelings...I didn't want the Brain aneurysms' to win...after all I had and continue to go through...it takes time...you are early in the healing journey...take care of you and perhaps see a neurologist or your internist and talk to them about your feelings...it is normal...~ Hugs from cyber space ~ Colleen

I had very few physical problems after two aneurysms were repaired. One ruptured, the other didn't. However, the anxiety really got to me. My surgeon recognized it and suggested I try a therapist. I found one specializing in chronic/severe medical conditions. It really helped!

Physical activity - which I was afraid of for fear of triggering one of the aneurysms I still have untreated - has also helped tremendously. Any day I meet my activity goal, I feel super-charged and triumphant. And believe me - I'm NOT a person who likes exercise. It's been 17 months since my first surgery, and it took me until two weeks ago to see the light. I posted the following on Facebook: "Screw you, aneurysms. I'm taking my life back!" Now I am seriously job hunting, and my only problem is figuring out what to say to a prospective employer about why I haven't worked in the past 1-1/2 years.

Good luck to you, and you can't hear or read it often enough - recovery from this ON EVERY LEVEL takes time!

Shawnhr- I’m scared to exercise too! It’s getting better and I’ve been going on hour long walks, but I miss my gym and weights and especially yoga. I have no restrictions from the doctor for my unruptured aneurysm, I’m just afraid.

Thank you for sharing.Your story mirrors mine in the lack of emotional support. While I don’t expect surgeons to be therapists I do need ALL medical professionals to treat me as a whole person. At 10 years out from my clipping I’m now trying to find a path to help change this.

As far as dealing with the emotional element of all of this, I have found that standard stroke survivor support groups seem better in a lot of ways than aneurysm-specific support groups. My particular group gets together monthly for a healthy potluck, we have info. nights with very helpful health professionals, and lots of physical and social activity-driven events.

While I think my neuropsychologist was amazing, I think I wanted more support than being a 'study case' in which my emotions were just labeled as part of my "normal" personality or something that resulted from my aneurysm rupture. I needed a therapist who could help me adjust to who I am now and how I now need to modify my thoughts and behavior to be "normal."

I have gained weight since my clipping surgery, mostly because I am very afraid to exercise alone, but I feel inadequate and experience shame that I am not as driven, independent, and capable as I once was.

Jane...

I have no expertise tho a lot of experiences in the so-called minimally invasive coiling...often with stents...

Some things I have researched are:

Sphenoid bone: which starts w/our eye sockets, to nasal sinuses to a small cavity which holds our pituitary gland...the cavity area is also called sellaturcica... One of my procedures...is entitled "sella"... in a f/u to the minimally invasive coiling...

Limbic system: pituitary is connected to the hypothalamus anatomically in this limbic system... which also includes the thalamus and more...re: emotions...body temp...circadian...whatever else...

Medial temporal lobe/hippocampus: memory connected...and, it connects/overlaps (whatever term?) w/the limbic area...

These can be researched online for questions to perhaps ask your doc about your symptoms anatomically related to these areas of our brain...

I have not read the answers that others have posted but this was my experience over 14 years postop of anny rupture. I was told pretty much the same thing no follow ups, nothing about the emotional/ psychological impact this would have on me. After years of seeing many psychiatrists and psychologists treating me for immense anxiety and increasing depression God lead me to the answer. You must seek counseling from a Neuro- Psychiatrist/ Psychologist as the have experience with the brain chemistry so to speak especially after a brain injury. From what I read on your post I don't know if yours ruptured or not but maybe seeking out one of these professions may help you and God bless.