Lack of appetite

Okay, my (complete surprise/emergency) clipping surgery was February 6, came home on Feb 17, and started back to work on April 2. My deal is my lack of appetite. I’m just not ever really hungry, I just make myself eat at least once a day. The past few days I’ve eaten 2-3 times a day + some snacking. I freaked out after I weighed in at 113.6 last week which is normal for my 5 ft height. It’s just small for me. I lost 10 lbs in the hospital, then another 10 since I’ve been home. I’ve also had some stomach issues with acid reflux, I’ll see the GI doctor for that on the 21st… I had a sinus infection too, and didn’t feel like eating then, either. But… I’m trying. I want to be 120-125.

I’m just wondering if any of you have experienced a lack of appetite? What did you do to help yourself? Is this common after brain surgery? I follow up with my neurosurgeon in Dallas on June 5, and I’ll talk to him about it then, for sure.

I know I’m early in recovery, I just feel like they were so surprised/happy with how well I’m doing (considering they thought I was going to die upon arrival, I’m doing GREAT) that I should just be able to snap back to the pre rupture Robin… Right? Ehh, not quite. When did you start feeling like you again? How long does all of the medication take to get out of your system? I wonder sometimes if this has something to do with the crazy amount of medicine I was on in the hospital. I also notice that I get VERY anxious when I get sick, that something else will happen that will kill me, and that makes me sad. I’m going to ask my doctor about seeing a therapist. This was a TOTAL surprise & shock, I’m having trouble processing it all… The emotional recovery is so difficult. More difficult for me than the physical recovery…

Anyways, just venting. I appreciate your time & any input you can offer. I know y’all “get it,” and it’s just nice to have someone I can talk to who truly understands.

Thank y’all!

Hi Robin, I thought the emotional was harder than the physical. I lost 30/40 pounds and it did take awhile for my body to get back to normal, physically and emotionally. I just forced myself to eat, with my husband’s help. Fresh fruit was the most appealing to me. Most things just didn’t appeal to me and I really had no appetite. I am guessing it is a combination of the meds and the trauma of the whole event. Absolutely unbelievable what our bodies have been through and amazing the power it has to heal. Hang in there, time does make a difference at both ends, the physical and emotional. Seeing a therapist is a great idea. Take care and take it one day at a time.
Shelly

1 Like

Thank you, Shelly! I guess I’m just going to have to be more patient. This is easily the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do, and I’m only 24. I just try to pray, not focus so much on the issues, and have faith that it does get better. It’s just so difficult. I do have a friend who had an AVM rupture/bleed when we were freshmen in high school. She’s a good support for me, because she understands. She just had her ten year anniversary on April 30, and I cried when I saw the status she posted on Facebook, because I’m so happy she pulled through, and it reminded me that I can and will make it, too! I just have to remind myself of this. It’s just difficult, for sure. Invisible wounds, but they sure do hurt. I’ll get there, it’s just going to take time. I need to rest my mind & body, and be kind and patient with myself instead of becoming SO frustrated when I just don’t feel well, trying to feel more like I used to. I’m gonna hang in there, and keep the faith, keep the fight.

Hi Robin, Not having an appetite is normal i lost 25-30lbs. but I also became dehydrated so please remember to drink water it nothing else. Please don't get dehydrated. I am glad you are doing so well. Keep up the good work. I myself have anxiety. I am working on that. I will start back to work on the 21st. And hopefully that will help. My Annie rupture was on Oct 6,2011. It was a big surpise to me also. I was at work. I work in a dr. office. It is now one of the worse and also the best day of my life. (because I made it) If that can make since.

Well anyway this is a very good place to vent and ask questions.

Lots of Hugs!!!!

Tiffany

1 Like

Hi Robin...I was coiled so I can't weigh in on this, (no pun intended LOL)...

Just stopped by to say,...I am thinking bout cha'...Colleen

Thank you, Tiffany. Trust me, I have been drinking lots of water, and eating small meals/snacks when I feel like eating. I just don’t have much of a desire to eat, I just know I have to. I don’t want to lose anymore weight. I think once I see the gastroenterology doctor, I may feel better if he can offer some insight into my stomach issues going on. It’s just rough, this recovery… I’m trying to keep my spirits up because I know that aids in recovery, but it’s a rollercoaster, it seems. Yes, what you said makes sense! I hope that returning to work goes well for you! I have two part time jobs, and each of them have been so good at working with me. I’m grateful. Hugs back to you! Take care!

Haha well thank you anyways! Hope all is well in your world :slight_smile:

Robin---I lost about 26 Lbs while hospitalized- I was on a feeding tube for a couple of months and when they took it out is when I started losing the weight---I had absolutely NO appetite--it did slowly come back (about 6-8 months out, for me) and now I try to make sure I don't eat too much---(ha- it's always something) Anyway, for me, I think the loss was all muscle--( I couldn't even stand unassisted...) -I have gained about 16 lbs back and am trying to keep it at that..I am 5'8" and now weigh 143 Lbs