Just found 6mm aneurysm

I guess it’s good they think it’s okay not too act however it’s hard to know you have this going on in your brain and your going to continue to worry about it. I’m sorry you weren’t able to go see them and have them explain their thought in hopes to calm you and make you feel like you’re going to be okay.
It’s a good thing they are not worried so please try to not worry so much.

Is it possible to stop by at the hospital and insist they put you on waiting list or know the reason why they didn’t ? In any way of course contact your doctor , may be he can suggest something …

It is confusing and frustrating on who exactly gives the results and makes the plan with you. What I have learned, it’s the doctor that does the order. Seems like you received a letter before the scheduler at your PCP called you to make an appointment. Give your doctor a call as your doctor may have gotten a little more information from the hospital. Please let us know, remember two things - we are here to help and breathe

1 Like

Hey Cassie,
Firstly a belated welcome to the Ben’s Network. I too am in SA, and awaiting neurosurgery (and waiting and waiting…) our health system is fairly overwhelmed at the moment and I’ve been told it will be a minimum of 12 months. I’m expecting that closer to the 12 mth mark I’ll be told “It’s still another 12 months”. My situation is painful but not life threatening at this point. I was told that if it becomes a major issue prior to my name coming up, they would act, but in the mean time I wait.

That initial diagnosis can be shocking, stressful and damn right scary. Some people remind us to be patient (not one of my strong suits :wink: ) but every ache, every pain and I was questioning ‘Is this my head??’ and I think that’s fairly normal. But over time I have learnt the signs to be aware of, the difference between ‘normal’ pain and an ‘I need to act’ pain.

Size is a factor but so is location and type of annie and all 3 have to be taken into consideration to establish a course of action by the neurosurgical team. Some people can have what is considered a large annie but have very little in the way of symptoms and yet others can have a small annie that may cause huge issues. So it certainly is not a case of one size fits all. If you are having symptoms make sure they are being noted by your GP, even keeping a record yourself, although in saying that I kept a record myself and it was always overlooked by the dr’s, even though it did show a pattern. Medical professionals ‘seem’ to listen to another medical professional better than they do patients, so having your dr keep such records is safer.

Cassie, you are stressed out because this is stressful. Anybody who has been here, been in this situation has been stressed. We all need to have a way to let go of as much of that stress as we can, in whatever way we can. Some people like the gym, some like throwing ball for the dog, anything to diffuse the stress . This ain’t no simple walk in the park and not everybody goes through this (luckily). Finding people who can actually comprehend it all can be difficult. We know, because we live it too. So come talk to us.

Merl from the Moderator Support Team

3 Likes

Thank you so much for your reply. I am a lot better now, a bit of “whatever will be, will be”. I had another doctor (gp) tell me it was quite small “and not to worry about it” so I didn’t. At that stage I was still on the waiting list. If I have a headache I just take anti inflammatory pills. I am thinking it might be my age that has made me “not a priority” on the waiting list. I hear all the stories about the endless waiting lists for all types of ailments. I feel for you waiting and hope you get a surgery date soon. I was surprised to not even get a brief consult. I might go to a private neurologist for an opinion and just pay.
I think I was more disappointed that they didn’t even know where it was in my brain just the measurement of 6mm. I will see my usual gp and see what she thinks. My husband has a 5mm one on his heart which is monitored but he has private he health.

1 Like

Hope this helps you in some way. My unruptured anni was found in May 2019 and I was told to go to ER immediately. The local ER then transferred me to another hospital 2 hours away. I was put into ICU and the next morning was told I had less than 2 0/0 chance that it would rupture and scheduled for surgery for 2 weeks later. I was sent home to wait for the surgery. My Anni was middle right cerebral artery and was 10mm x 7mm x7mm. There were few surgery complications but was released day after surgery. Just had my 3 month post surgery check up and so far all seems to be going well. I know everyone is different … But. While waiting for surgery I was told to avoid stress, streneous activity, lifting, no ibuprofen, keep hydrated and not to become overly excited… I pray this helps ease your mind in some way. I fully understand what you are feeling !

1 Like

Wow! Glad you found out about yours and had surgery. I wish you all the best. I have a headache tonight. I just don’t understand why I was never even given an appointment to discuss where it was situated and just let me know about my scan and what it meant. They knew nothing virtually except that it was 6x6mm and that was all that was on the doctor’s “urgent” letter. I have an appointment to see my GP next Monday to discuss this. I know there are hundreds of people waiting to see a Neuro so I guess my case was not considered serious enough to even address.

PS Trying to not get over excited or stressed is hard when you’re self employed trying to make a living at 62. I will try though.

1 Like

I have feeling that there is some mistake or miscommunication in between medical facilities. Your size of aneurysm can’t be considered like not serious . The only scenario : to get an urgent consultation with neurosurgeon , he schedules if possible additional tests ( angiogram or Ct ) and only then they fully see how serious it is . Something wrong with documentations of the hospital where you were waiting for respond . Please do some steps , may be they didn’t get a referral or results of your test , or just someone’s mistake , it’s not normal .

Yes it does seem seem to odd but my husband’s doctor said if they under 10mm they don’t usually operate. Still they hadn’t even looked at the scan! Our public hospitals aren’t the best unfortunately. Our Government would rather give $150 million to find water on Mars than help our farmers here in Australia.

1 Like

Cassiebun , there are certain standards . The neurosurgeon’ s appointment it’s a must and standard in the case of any aneurysm , then they do more test if possible to see the condition of the aneurysm . It can be less then 10 mm and still in bigger risk of rupture . In any way they schedule regular check ups scans , every 6 months or 12, to see if aneurysm changing the size . If it’s not changing , mostly it’s on the watch , if it’s growing it means much higher risk of rupture , and usually doctors take actions . Please , try to insist on the appointment .

2 Likes

I’ll see what my doctor advises tomorrow. I will probably pay and go see a private neurologist. Really disappointed in our public system.

1 Like

New update. Went to my GP today. I have a new referral to another public hospital. Fingers crossed I’m not waiting too long. Thanks everyone for your replies.

4 Likes

Please keep us posted! Good luck!

2 Likes

Will do :smiley::+1:

2 Likes

Hello, I was diagnosed with an aneurysm in 1999. I had Cat scans annually until 2014 when I had brain surgery. I just had my five year checkup this week and all is good. I say all this in hopes to comfort you. I spent the many years knowing and waiting in prayer and avoiding stressful situations. Be persistent in pushing your doctor for an appointment. Good luck!

1 Like

Thank you for your reply. I finally have an appointment on 11th December to see a neurologist. I am not even thinking about it much anymore.Glad to hear you’re okay.

1 Like

That is good news! I will say prayers for a positive outcome. Take care!

Take care, I hope your appointment went well.

Hi all thanks for your support. The Registrar at.tje hospital said the aneurysm is going to be monitored at this stage as the risks involve do not warrant it’s clamping. I will have further scan in June. I’m really tired all the time but think it’s more age related as I’m nearly 63 and still working as a hairdresser. I also have a cleaning job. Just wish I could give them up but bills don’t pay themselves unfortunately. Sorry for whinge. Having a down day.