Just checking in about balance

Continuing the discussion from Balance issues after my fix:

Just checking in again about balance. It will be 6 years in June since my “fix”. I still have times of being off balanced. Last year I tripped and broke my wrist from the balance issue. Heat does seem to bring it on and also being in crowds or stress. If there are any new options out there please share. I do exercise and we do some balancing but I need to hold on to something during that. Still looking for answers.

1 Like

I still have times with balance issues as well, this Nov it will be 9 years since I popped my pipe. Like you’ve mentioned, over stimulation can be a trigger. If it’s weather related, make sure you’re hydrating as that can be helpful in my experience. Under hydration makes me walk like a drunken sailor as well as other things.

We went to a friend’s wedding last Nov and it was supposed to be outside but due to the cold it was taken inside. Next day I fell while walking and put some nasty bruises and scrapes on my knees. It took about six months to get over it and walk ok. The best thing that I’ve found for me was Tai Chi. Started with just doing movements in a chair then moving to my feet. From numerous members here, I understand yoga is quite good too.

2 Likes

I had my surgery last year and I still take a dramine pill everyday, it seems to help and I have spoken with my doctors to see if there was any lasting issue with taking everyday and they have said no. I still have really bad issues when I look up, or when I get up on ladders. Good luck and I hope you find something that works for you.

2 Likes

When I do feel off I take Tylenol and that seems to help some. I do exercise a few times a week and we do some balance. Will try some yoga and may try dramine just to see if it makes a difference. I feel normal except when I walk too much or the other issues I’ve mentioned. Thanks!

1 Like

When you’re doing your walk abouts, maybe sitting down for a few minutes will help. Some of our parks have a lot of benches, others are scarce. The mall has several as I recall but I rarely go inside anymore, it’s a bit too much stimulation for me.

1 Like

I walk daily (moderately) with trekking poles. I am amazed at the number of people who stop me to ask me about the poles because they have balance issues too! I also always wear a medical bracelet, just in case.

3 Likes

I have poles too but haven’t used them. I’ll have to see if that helps on longer walks. I usually walk with hubby and by a mile I have to hold on to him.

Thanks.

2 Likes

It is just over six years for me since my rupture and I still have balance issues, I use a single walking pole (suggested by my physio instead of two) I find yoga helps and walking in my local swimming pool shallow end helps me. I do have problems in the dark, but I just try to persevere. Keep working at it, I believe the brain can “rewire”

3 Likes

It is 2.5 years since my stent surgery and my balance is terrible. Sometimes just getting out of the chair will throw my balance off. We are going on vacation in August and will be walking quite a bit, I am looking at a cane that collapses so i can keep it in my backpack when eeded. Any suggestions?

1 Like

I bought some poles but having used them yet. Haven’t done any long walking. If you get the cane let me know how it is. My balance can be off if I’m sitting too long or standing too long but I’m dealing. Remember to look down at times so you don’t trip on something. That’s how I broke my wrist. I was looking at a view instead of looking down. Good luck.

1 Like

@MiMi109 @Cindy6201
I find trekking poles very useful. I had some minor problems right after being discharged from the hospital following my ruptured aneurysm. The unsteadiness went away when I gained my muscle strength back.
I have used the “Nordic walking poles” / trekking poles a lot during my years when I go for a brisk walk. So I decided to use them as an extra support for my slightly wobbly walk.
I still use them, but now for upper body exercise when I go out for my power walks. You can buy collapsible trekking poles , just google and see what you think.
Perhaps you can try and find out if this is something for you.
Good luck.

2 Likes