Joining a gym

So I’m 43 and don’t have as much energy as I want. I am still recovering. It’s been just over 4 months since my coil surgery and rupture.
Do you guys think it’s ok to join a gym? A friend of mine goes at 1 on his lunch and he says it’s hardly busy then and I know he would go with me. Unless he goes later with his wife.
I know I can’t lift weights or anything. But there is a pool there and I do want to lose some weight and get in better shape since summer is coming. Also for more confidence.
What do you guys think?

When in doubt, reach out to your doctor. Personally, I think swimming would be a great way to exercise. You already know the 40 pound rule so try to follow it. When you start feeling tired, stop and rest, do not over do it. Walking is good as well so if you can’t walk the neighborhood, see if there’s a track at the gym or go to where there is one. One of the local hospitals has a track and you’re allowed to take a dog, then there’s the city and county parks, we even have a State park near by with a really nice walking trail. Most of the tracks aren’t flat, as I live in the foothills, several have benches one can stop and rest. I’ve read many times that exercise is a good thing for our brains!

2 Likes

I actually wasn’t familiar with the 40 pound rule so I searched the posts, or at least I forgot. Thanks for the input. I’m gonna try to find out some more info on the gym and see how I feel about it

Check with your doctor, but I think for all of us who rupture, we get the don’t lift anything over 40 pounds, don’t strain when your having a bowel movement, don’t smoke, limit caffeine intake, limit alcohol, and several others I can’t think of right now, I’m sorry about that. I do have problems following the 40 pound rule as it’s quite awkward to carry one cinder block and it’s hard to know how much a green board weighs off the sawmill before I pick it up. Once I pick it up, I know but since I am already carrying it, why not just carry it to the unit I’m making?:joy:. My age must be catching up with me as I tried to pick up a 6x6x12’ treated timber and found I can’t carry one like I did 30 years ago…I use fulcrums to move them now.

Thank you

Am I Correct that the 40 pound rule only lasts for the first six months? After the doctor clears you following whatever procedure he does, you’re allowed to, and in most cases, no limits.

At four months out, I was going to the gym, but only able to do 10 minutes of cardio and very minimal amount of weight on any of the machines. I was still going to PT and OT at that time if you’ve been cleared by PT and OT, then you may be under different instructions than I was. I think around six months I might’ve started adding a little bit more resistance in the weights and I was up to about 20 minutes of cardio. So while each persons situation is going to be unique, the common factor is, your doctor will tell you what you can do and when you can do it and in the absence of your doctor, being able to tell you a PT or OT therapist can give guidance.

1 Like

Thank you Brian, it is good to read about others and there experiences on here. Luckily they didn’t put me in therapy after I got out of the hospital. I say that but maybe they should have. I don’t know. I am looking into mental therapy though

For me, the 40 lb rule is permanent. But I just can’t follow it and my surgeon knows it. Perhaps it’s because she had a heck of a time occluding the little bugger. It is always best to touch base with your surgeon on rules they give. I have read here that many members are also given 40 lb weight restrictions. It does make me wonder if men get a higher weight or none at all though.

I was like @R1ck and was just released from NSICU with the expectation my PCP would get me into whatever I needed. My Neurosurgeon is several counties away and she could only refer me to things in her area. The PCP I had at the time just wanted me to get a different Neurosurgeon because he didn’t know what to do with me. I had extensive PT the year before for lumbar repair and I knew where I wanted to go to help with simple things like walking and rebuilding my strength. I also needed ST and OT. I would just tell me Neurosurgeon who would write the prescription. Unfortunately there was only one OT for adults in our county and she had no openings, but her office was right next door to my ST and she would suggest things to my ST for me to do. The Universe has been very kind to me since I ruptured and I realize it every day.