Introduction

Hi all!

On November 1, 2014, my mom (and very best friend) suffered a ruptured brain aneurysm. I had just spoken to her on the phone a few hours before, and by the grace of God (she lives alone in a VERY rural area), she managed to call for help. She was transported to a local hospital, where they discovered the bleed. After several phone calls and denials, the attending physician finally found a hospital willing to accept her. They attempted to air lift her, but were forced to abort due to weather, so she was transported over 100 miles by ambulance.

Initially, the surgeon attempted to perform a coiling procedure, but the machine failed on startup. He ended up having to perform a craniotomy/clipping. Over the next several days, she remained unresponsive. She would occasionally open her right eye, but could not follow commands whatsoever. I was approached about removing her off the ventilator, and despite knowing very well what her wishes were, I had a tremendously strong gut feeling to continue forward. On day 12, we proceeded with a tracheostomy, and on day 14, inserted a PEG tube. Miraculously, she truly began waking up. She was able to open her eyes on command and wiggle her right toes. She had zero movement in her upper body or her left leg.

They were able to wean her off the vent, and after 20 days in ICU, we moved her to rehab. The first few weeks were exceptionally hard, with no progress whatsoever. Slowly, however, she began to show positive signs. She began moving both arms and both legs, she would consistently open her eyes, nod her head yes to questions and shake her head no, and even started mouthing words.

Fast forward to today, and she is doing remarkably well! Not even three months post-rupture, and she is almost wholly independent (although she still is residing in a nursing facility). She is eating, drinking, walking, etc. with no assistance, and her speech is excellent. She has no issues reading or writing, and her memory is just fantastic. Her short term can get a little fuzzy, but overall, she is 99.999% the person she was before this occurred. It is truly a miracle.

Yesterday, we removed the PEG tube, and in a few weeks, we will be removing the trache. I am hoping to have her moving in with me shortly as well! Through this process, however, we did discover that she has an AV fistula, and will need another craniotomy in April. Despite this news, we are keeping positive and are resting assured knowing she is in tremendous hands. I cannot say enough good things about her surgeon and his team. And, going into this surgery planned and prepared, is a gift. I wish no one the experience of witnessing his or her loved one suffer a rupture, and I cannot even BEGIN to imagine the strength she has needed to come as far as she has. All of you survivors are TRULY my hero.

So, we have another hurdle to overcome in April, but I refuse to let that bring us down in any way. My mom has come so far, and her determination and willpower is beyond inspirational. She continues to defy the odds and stun every single person she comes across. Her wonderful personality and silly sense of humor are completely in tact. She has always been someone I idolize with all my heart, and now...there are just no words to describe my feelings toward her.

As you can tell, I'm extremely proud of my mama! I currently work as a research biologist, and for the longest time, have been considering pursuing my PhD. I am heavily leaning toward neurology at this point. It is such a fascinating field, and I think I have a little bit of personal inspiration in my pocket now! :)

Anyways, just wanted to throw out an introduction. I've been skulking around the boards for a while now. It's been a long, hard road, and it's not over yet by any means, but I continue to find so much inspiration in all of you, whether you are a survivor, caregiver, whatever your role. You are a truly special bunch of folks. It's so nice to "meet" all of you! :)

What a great story, dpt. I'm so glad you posted it, and I'm so glad your mom is doing well. :)

Thank you, Dancermom! She is my heart and soul, and cannot imagine my life without her. We are a little nervous about having to deal with another crani in April, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. Right now, I am cherishing every single second we get to spend together. I did before this, and now I do so even more! :)

DPT....your story really touched my heart. Sounds like my and my daughters story ten years ago. My daughter was living out of state and in college when she got the call that I was in the ICU with a ruptured annie. She flew home that day and ended up staying with me...taking a semester off from school to take care of me. She too was heavy into biology and research and ended up becoming a registered dietician, going on to graduate school to get her MPH. We have always been close but the time we had with her taking care of me was priceless. I am a blessed mama for sure, as is your mama. Our Annie's aren't fun but there definitely are some positive things that come from them with relationships! I have many stories...as you and your mom have I am sure.

What an uplifting and amazing story. Thanks for sharing. God Bless.

That is a great story. I am glad to hear she is doing well and I hope what remains continues to go well. Even when there are problems, you can never measure success in the moment or even in the operating room. Success is measured in the long term and I am so glad to hear that you held out so your mother is alive. That is success even though there were bumps in the road.

Please make sure to let us know how things go in April and how she's doing over time. Success stories are so important in helping those who come here maintain hope and strength they need during these trials. The hope I got from stories like this when my wife suffered her rupture was more valuable to me than I could ever express.

thats a wonderful story. Gives hope to all of us.

I'm glad your mother made tremendous progress and I pray that she continues. I appreciate that you took the time to tell us you and mother's journey. While none of us want this to happen to anyone, it provides (at least to me) a way of knowing that I'm not alone in what occurs. It's great to hear a positive and uplifting story. I hope that you will continue giving us updates. God Bless.

As a survivor.....I just want to say Thank you to all you caregivers. Dr. Peartree feels her mom is the hero and I can understand why she feels that way but as a survivor I say....you caregivers are the hero's for being there for us during the weepy times, the happy times, funny times, and all around painful times. thank you!

Barb

I am so happy for you and your Mom. She is very lucky. My Mom died from a rupture at age 55. I am 57 and have 2 aneurysm's being monitored. I wish you both the very best as you move forward. Keeping you in my prayers for a very good outcome in April.

What an awesome story. I spent 9 days in ICU. My family never gave up hope. Now fast-forward one year. I sometimes wonder what we are here for? I kind of got a glimpse to why I’m here. I was with my mom when she suffered a stroke recently. Imagine! Me! I had an awful time even trying to call 911. But I did it, paramedics got her to the hospital and she is good! Keep us posted. It is so great to hear of the miracles that continue to happen all around us!

Thank you for sharing your amazing story. It is your love and dedication…coupled with the miracle … that gave your Mom the strength to push through the ordeal.
May your Mom’s story of courage and your amazing spirit serve as the catalyst for your PhD…and the joy your Mom will have for this beautiful joint effort of survival and love.
May your Mom, you and your family continue to be abundantly blessed!
Maya

This is a story worth sharing and I thank you for doing so. Blessings and best wishes for APRIL and whatever is to come. May God continue to walk with you.

Truly a miracle story. Thanks for sharing it with us. I am also really proud of you for listening to your instincts and keeping her alive even though you knew her wishes may have been otherwise. She recovered and has more time with you because of that decision. I am "the mom" in your story and although I didn't suffer as much trauma as yours did, I am SO VERY GRATEFUL for my daughter and family who are sticking by me through it all. It can be really draining on our caregivers, so thank you for sticking by her and showing us all the power of love. I am grateful for everyday I have with my family and especially with my grandson. I am 4 weeks post coiling surgery and home enjoying every precious moment with them. God bless you and I wish you the very best outcome in April.

Good for Mama! Tell her to keep it up!

Omg thank you for sharing with us. It is wonderful to hear how you didn’t give up on her. We are all very blessed to be here and your story is proof that every day God is giving us another miracle.

WOW!!! You are an inspiration yourself! Not all survivors have had the type of support, love, and stickability that you have demonstrated.
I can certainly put my stamp of approval on you pursuing neurology as your profession!
I am a survivor of a clipping, and an artery repair. I still have 2 more of those little problems in my brain, but refuse to let go while I KNOW my GOD IS going to bring much good from all of lives ups and downs!
Continue to encourage others by your love and passion for this field!

WOW!!! You are an inspiration yourself! Not all survivors have had the type of support, love, and stickability that you have demonstrated.
I can certainly put my stamp of approval on you pursuing neurology as your profession!
I am a survivor of a clipping, and an artery repair. I still have 2 more of those little problems in my brain, but refuse to let go while I KNOW my GOD IS going to bring much good from all of lives ups and downs!
Continue to encourage others by your love and passion for this field!

Thank you for sharing! We all need encouragement daily! Here is my story http://www.walkingtalkingmiracle.blogspot.com

Thank you for sharing this. My brother has a friend who suffered brain injury. I have sent your mom's story to him to share with her family. I wish your mom the best of health for many, many years to come!