I still have pain after six years

Six years ago I had 3 clips inserted. After I left the hospital, I began to notice a very uncomfortable feeling in my right thigh. When I complained about it, first they suggested advil, then they gave me Tramadol, (but never enough), then they scanned my brain to rule out seizures and prescribed Gabapentin. After two or three years on Gabapentin, I started to notice side effects that made work difficult. (Such as unusual eye movements, and aphasia). This year the doctor changed my prescription to Lorazapam. Lorazapam seems to cover about 4 to 6 hours of relief, but they only give me two a day. Apparently it is also quite addictive.

The pain expresses itself in three distinct ways:

1. As a sharp pain in my thigh, like someone is poking me with a stick.

2. As an anxiety in my thigh that feels cold and creates an urge to walk.

3. As an anxiety in my entire leg that becomes an itchiness in my toe.

While none of these symptoms would rank high on the pain chart, the continual nagging pain with no relief is really taking a toll on my sanity and it makes it impossible to do my job on some days.

• Does anyone else have aneurysm induced body pain?

• Has anyone else successfully treated aneurysm induced pain/anxiety?

Welcome CJ! I haven’t experience the type of pain your are, though with some of the plugs, I had issues with for several weeks as I recall. Is the pain in the area where you were plugged? I also think of the CNS when experiencing leg pain, probably because I ended up with lumbar fusion. Has anyone checked your spine? Neurologists are the go to doctor for both the CNS and the PNS (Peripheral Nervous System)

Lorazepam is both physically and psychologically addictive if I recall correctly. It’s in the benzodiazepine family of drugs. The only thing that I can truly recall is that most folks I knew taking it, they only took it for a few months at most.

Personally I think of anxiety as just anxiety not specific to aneurysms. The best treatment I know of for anxiety is a mix of relaxation breathing, a good talk therapist and a good psychiatrist. While I have complete trust in my PCP, I would want those trained at treating psychological issues working with me.

Hopefully other members will chime in…give them time

1 Like

Thank you for your response, Moltroub.

Apparently, other people do not have lingering pain as a souvenir from their aneurysm.
I have had a doctor examine my spine and legs, but they found no issues.
I have been seeing a psychiatrist, but it is very difficult for me express myself verbally.

I used the word ‘anxiety’ more as a placeholder than an actual diagnosis. Relaxation breathing does not help, but lorazepam does help temporarily. However, it seems to be a temporary solution.

Not all of us have the same exact symptoms. Have you done research on what artery in your brain was worked on? I would help, but you’d have to share the location of your aneurysm. Clipping requires a craniotomy, so I’m wondering if something got bumped and would require a long time to heal.

I’m really pleased that you had your spine checked and they found no issues. That is definitely good news!

A psychiatrist and a therapist are very, very different and have different training. A psychiatrist is primarily a physician who does some education in medicine and behavior (DSM). A therapist can not prescribe meds, but their training is completely on the DSM. I never worked with a client who only had a psychiatrist. That being said, you’ve nailed it on the head…it can be extremely difficult to share feelings verbally. Are you able to write them down? You might try that, or drawing if your able.

You’re not the first that I heard had issues with relaxation breathing, for some it can induce anxiety. Please don’t give up on the relaxation breathing, it takes a lot of practice. I do mean a lot. Start the minute you wake up, when your in the bathroom, before and after every meal, when you go to bed. You will know if you’re doing it correctly if you make a fist, focus on your breathing and see what your hand does after about ten cycles of inhaling through nose all the way to your diaphragm/holding for about 5-10 seconds/exhaling through mouth. You might want to try for the shorter five count than the longer ten and just build up if needed. You do have to learn to identify what your body does initially when becoming stressed or anxious and begin the breathing routine immediately. Do you tighten your jaw, clench your teeth, make a fist, get an odd feeling in your gut or a myriad of other things?

Sometimes when people have difficulty with breathing, it’s a control thing. It’s almost like they are unsure if it’s okay to be in control. It truly is a good thing for us to be in control of how our body responds. Perhaps if you think of it in that way, it might help.

Please keep us posted. Though I’m the only one responding, we have a lot of members that read these entries. I am sure you’re helping someone else out by sharing.

Hello Moltroub,

I have been trying your breathing advice, but it doesn’t seem to change the pain in my leg. : ( I will continue practicing.

I guess I meant therapist when I said psychiatrist in the previous post.

I should not have used the word anxiety, it is really a pain that comes from situations where I have to use my brain. Maybe like a headache in my leg. Also it comes at night and wakes me from even a deep sleep. It gets worse the busier I am and gets better the more relaxed I am.

Some years ago, they did a multi day brain scan (was it called an ECG?) where they put electrodes all over my head and watched for seizures. They didn’t find any seizures, but being able to sit quietly and uninterrupted really reduced the pain. When I went back to work I was right back where I started.

If anyone has any pain management advice, I would really welcome it.

I had one of those scans, the reading neurologist mentioned I had fallen asleep, I did not, but I did use the relaxation breathing. When I tried to tell my neurologist this, they said the scan showed what it showed. Unfortunately the reading neurologist either wasn’t told or didn’t see where I saw blinding white lights. When I asked about it, they told me no lights were used. Consequently, I have little faith in them, just personal experience and I know one study does not make my reality a fact.

I have lower leg pain, I think it started in Neuro ICU but I can’t remember. I do remember the nitwit who said he was my doctor, pressing on my tibia and saying there wasn’t any problems. To gauge the pain, it far exceeded my pain from the vasospasms and coilings. I told him he wasn’t my doctor and never touch me again. The other CCU doctors got me these air things that were to help stop blood clots, they took all the pain away. I asked to take them home roflol.

I perceive the pain as the muscles being ripped off the bones. I used to think it was the lower front bones of my legs, then I realized it’s probably the muscles, duh! I was diagnosed with Cauda Equina syndrome/spondylolisthesis and given a lumbar fusion to be able to keep walking the year before I ruptured. What I have found that eases the pain is some otc muscle balm from CVS. It’s pretty strong, so I use a little from the knees down to my ankles and on my lower back. I did use the balm and a tramadol, but its near impossible to get tramadol since the US Govt decided a decade or so too late that we have an opioid crisis. My PCP can give me ten at a time, 30 would do me for most of the year or longer, I don’t take them often…

When we are in immense pain, it can make us stop breathing, and raise our BP, so yes, please continue trying!

Ha! I also had the air things and they gave great relief! I also tried to find a way to take them home! They would not negotiate. : (

I will stop at CVS and find the muscle balm you suggested. Thank you.

I was given Tramadol some years ago, but yes, thanks to the opioid crisis, they took that away. Withdrawal was rough. It gave some pain relief, but they never gave me enough to be pain free, so I was always Jonesing for me next pill. : (

My neighbor had hip surgery and was apparently given a prescription for some that need to be charged. She said the charge last 8 hours and it takes 4 hours to charge them up. She said Medicare wouldn’t pay for them, but at around $250 USD, they were well worth the cost. I may ask my Neurologist when I see him at the end of the month.

If I ever get a diagnosis, I will be sure to share it with you!

1 Like

Hi CJ
I can somewhat relate. I have what theoretically is a nerve disorder. They don’t really know. It started as the urge to urinate/felt like bladder infection. But certain foods/hormones make it worse. Now since my brain surgery, all it takes is me to feel stress and I feel pain in my body. So, yes, stress = pain. Here is what I have learned:

1. The pain receptors in your brain are located by the stress receptors. So over time as you age, stress can literally cause pain. (I am way oversimplifying).

2. Certain foods that cause inflammation can cause nerve pain.

3. Don’t forget that there is also “referred pain” where pain is actually being stimulated by one part of your body, but felt in what you think is a different area. For example, a crick in your neck can cause pain in your wrist. The pain actually originates from your neck even though you think you injured your wrist.

4. Hormones can also cause pain.

5. Injury to brain: I had a small blood leak after my surgery, so technically I had a hemorrage, although it was very small. This led to my neck to seize up. It has been almost 3 years since that happened. When under stress, my neck will seize up and I will feel pain down the right side of my body, or feel like I have to urinate.

6. Allergies: If you had an underlying condition, an immune response can also cause issues.

THE REASON I KNOW THE PAIN IS IN MY BRAIN, IS IT GOES AWAY WHEN I AM WATCHING T.V. OR WORKING AND CAN’T THINK ABOUT IT.

When I am preparing for work, or having a stressful moment with family, I literally feel pain. I know this is in my brain.

Treatments: physical exercise to relax the muscles around the nerve you are feeling pain. Maybe go get some dry needling done/massage.

Anti-inflammatories: Natural ones include: marshmallow root. Quercitin (do not take for more than 2 weeks at a time). Quercetin definitely works for my pain.

I would go to a physical therapist to determine “gliding” exercises for your nerves. The muscles can actually bind up and constrict on the nerves causing pain. If you apply trigger point therapy (or dry needling) this may help.

I hope this gives you some direction. Clare

1 Like

Also I hope I am not totally way off for you. Sounds like the clips may actually be causing pain, and I am hoping that if you work on the nerves, you may be able to relieve some of it.

Thank you for that, Clare. That does sound like the symptoms that I am enduring. I found Quercitin on the internet. I will give that a shot.

It is very affirming to hear that someone else is fighting the same fight.
Thank you for responding,
CJ

1 Like