Husband smoking again after ruptured Annie Nov 8th 2013

my husband had his ruptured Annie Nov 8th of last year, lots of complication, vasospasms for 16 days, well he has recovered wonderfully, he is now back to work, construction and working his normal 70 hrs plus, seems like everything is back to normal, problem with feeling back to normal he started smoking again. I can't believe after everything he went thru, bleed for 3 days, airlifted to St Paul, told by Doc he's a miracle and should either be dead or massive stroke that he would go back to smoking, he says we can't understand cuz we aren't smokers. My son (25) has decided to have nothing to do with him cuz he feels he's choosing the smokes over his life which includes watching him get married, 2016 and seeing his grandkids ect. My daughter (18) is just like whatever, but I know they are all in so much pain, they went thru, it breaks my heart but don't know what to do or say

hi tami, I suffered a ruptured aneurysm last november too and had severe sah and vasospasm for weeks. as soon as I got home again, I started smoking again and my husband was furious with me. I felt so much guilt about it and it caused so much conflict but I just couldnt help myself. a few months later I started vaping and gave up the smokes again. It wasnt quite the same as smoking but I got used to it and my blood pressure is the lowest it's been in years. Just thought it may be something you could look into trying.

Oh this is so tough...it is a horrible addiction...I smoked for 20 years. Quitting was the hardest thing I ever did in my life...and only your husband can do it...pray for some "divine intervention" to get him to quit...not sure what else you can do...~ thoughts out to you ~ Colleen

Sharong, I am so happy to hear that the vapor pen is working for you. My youngest son found out in November that he has an aneurysm forming in the same place as mine and he has used the vapor pen to quit smoking. I think it is a great alternative. He is down to almost no nicotine now. Keep up the good work!!!
~ Carol

I am very thankful that I never smoked, but sure understand how hard it must be to quit. Well, I did try it once and I felt called back to it over and over and even had dreams that I was a closet smoker for 6 mos to a year after that. I didn't ever have another cigarette. I am glad you were able to do it!!! :)

~ Carol

Tami ~ I haven't chatted with you in a while, I can't seem to stay up past 9:00 these days LOL. I am happy to hear that your husband is back to work and doing well. Unfortunately, we can quit smoking for someone. I sure hope that he is able to do it on his own again. I think the best thing you and your family can do, is continue to love and support him and pray like Colleen said for "divine intervention" and maybe a suggestion of the vapor pen like Sharong said. It will save money, too. But, the best thing is that he won't be getting all the chemicals that are added to cigarettes. I pray for peace for you and your family over this. Don't let it ruin everyone's relationship.

Take Care and God Bless,

~ Carol

Thanks carol. eventually I plan to lower the nic as well but I can feel the difference in my body already. At the time I had another aneurism waiting to be coiled so I was stressing a lot about it rupturing every time I smoked. turning to vaping instead took a weight off my shoulders and my doctor said nicotine was ok, smoking was not and I had to give up asap. It's horrible how much of a grip smoking takes on you, but I suspect lots of it is because of all the additives in smokes. I never get the same intense cravings as I did when I did smoke and had gone a while without one so it seems like the addiction becomes much milder with vaping too and all the other nasties are not there.

Hi Tami,

I'm so sorry to hear this, it's such a strain on your family to watch him smoke! I like Colleen's advice, pray your way through it, and invite your kids to pray with you. My Dad smoked for 30+ years after his aneurysm burst, and some of my family members made his life a living hell because of it. I did for a while, but I am SO grateful I did not make it a huge, lasting issue in our relationship. In the end, something completely unrelated to smoking got him, and I'm grateful I did not make him miserable because he failed with his addiction to nicotine. Other family members do not have this peace.

hi, thanks for the suggestion, what type of vaper pen/utensil are you using, there are so many different ones out there, what would you suggest trying?

tami, I use a sid variable voltage and a tumbler tank on top of it, but the tumbler tank may look a bit too feminine for your husband to like it. a lot of people like the evod atomizers instead. I started with an ego style battery (I bought 2 so one is available when charging the other one) and an evod. I got down to about 5 smokes a day quite quickly but had to push myself to get off the last few because I could tell every cigarette was making me crave more so getting completely off cigarettes was the answer. vaping is a bit of trial and error to find what you like. I'd also suggest he start with 18 or 24mg nicotine liquid, at the start it helps to have a stronger liquid until you wean off the cigarettes and all the other things in there, then it's easier to drop the nicotine level down. Some people take to vaping instantly but I took a few months to get off the cigarettes but I'll bet I would find smoking really gross now.

Nicotine is tough. You can't make him quit. Don't push him or get on his case about it. That will only make him want to smoke more. He probably already feels guilty enough. I hope your son changes his mind.