How to plan life after emergency surgery

Hi @Melvin
I think the idea with a bracelet is very good. I searched on google and there are several different types and styles to choose from and to be customized. I think I will get one myself that tells that I’m on blood thinners.

This company is based in the UK but I used one of these: Deluxe Engraveable Silicone Bracelet BROAD BAND

It was very comfortable and because of being very affordable, very easy to get replaced with a new one. I had one before my surgery that set out what we knew at that time and one after surgery with the update.

I also had two at some point: one in red and one in navy. The red one prompted people at work to ask me what it was for (and a useful way of starting a conversation to help me feel more protected by talking to those who were around me all day) and the navy one was more subtle, so I wore that on days when I didn’t really want to have “the conversation”.

These things definitely helped me feel more protected: that if the people on the bus found me being unwell, they could get me help, or people at work or anywhere.

You can also put your medical information into the emergency/medical section of your Android or iPhone and ambulance crews will look at that information.

I did both. I know I was more comfortable with those little protections in place.

Richard

2 Likes

I tried searching online for something similar to what @DickD posted and failed. Though there are a lot of different types and apparently Amazon has some of the type Mr. Richard indicated. If anyone finds a link to something nifty, please post it!

I just checked: they do bill in various currencies and post across the world but it takes rather longer to get there: 20 days to the US. I think the postage cost was about $2-$3, so very reasonable.

Yes it is reasonable! And as long as it doesn’t get put on the ship that’s out waiting to be unloaded :joy:. Maybe they do air…we recently received an item from Turkey that came faster than an item ordered here in the States due to the contract the company has with UPS, USPS and/or FedEx coupled with our home address. It’s all become a bit complicated.

@Moltroub @DickD @Melvin @Beiba1965 @laura1
I spent some time yesterday looking for what is available. This company caught my eye, both for men and women https://www.laurenshope.com. They are based in the USA and has a lot to choose from.There are also some larger tags to choose from for more information. I think I will get one that I can wear when I’m out and about by myself. I will print that I’m on blood thinners due to my intracranial stent and add “see card in wallet”. I also have added information on my iPhone.

2 Likes

Lots of possibilities! Thanks so much

1 Like

You will also have the option to purchase an Emergency Wallet Card when you check out. I’m sitting by the computer and I think I will buy a bracelet now. The more I think about this the better it seems. What a great conversation we have had.

1 Like

Yes ma’am we have! I carry an “”A.N.D.Y Card” in my wallet at all times. I had the great honor of meeting his parents one year when they first started their awareness group, I think it was. I do remember it was at the Woodworking Extravaganza Show in Hickory. Mark Hovis told me his son’s story of being in an automobile accident, being rushed to the ER and his alter demise. Andy’s mother and Mark’s wife understand the medical language as she was a Neuro RN. Andy’s phone was badly damaged during the course of the accident and his I.C.E contacts were unavailable to the Emergency Responders. It became their mission to ensure everyone had a card that could be easily seen and read by Emergency Responders so their contacts could find out immediately and not have went through what the Hovis’ family did that fateful day. Every year at the Extravaganza, we would hug and I’d pick up more cards. Always providing what I could so they could keep their message going. And though I haven’t seen them for several years, I still hold their warmth and love for their family in my memories.

1 Like

Thank you much! That’s exactly what I had in mind. :grinning: fancy, stylish and with “bling”.

2 Likes