How to decide

Sorry for yet another question. I am just so confused. I was all set for clipping thinking that I wanted to know the aneurism had been dealt with and wouldnt cause me further issues. To shed some light on my own personal situation I am a stresshead. THings play on my mind unless I am on calming meds. So if I had coiling I would always wonder 'what if...'. My surgeon said my 4.5mm aneurism can be treated either way and the risks for either procedure is the same, only difference being longer recovery for clipping and 10% chance of needing coils fixed. I then said I would go to clipping so he has made an appointment for me to see a surgeon to clip my aneurism. Friends and family are all saying why would I choose open brain surgery when I could go the coiling option. Opinions on how you made your decision if given a choice? What are the main risks I will face with clipping?

Hi Fiona...no it is good you question these things, because 10 to 1 others out there have the same and/or similar questions. I was coiled, but because of location of my aneurysm there was no choice...

Wishing you a nice day ~ Colleen

Fiona...

I was coiled...I have written a lot of questions in "ask the doc"...about radiation, contrast dye and more...

05/09/13 is a webinar on EST...you may want to check the main BAF website on that...

Yes, open surgery/clips take more initial time...the coils take more f/up time...just regularly...and, potentially more when there is compaction, addition of coils, etc... However, there are times when open surg/clip have had f/ups...

Ellen did a lot of research for her decision...and, others are, too...and, there is the one group site on that decision and/or waiting time...

Prayers you receive more responses... for your comfort level in your decision...

Pat

Hi Fiona,

I had my clipping surgery the day after thanksgiving almost 2 1/2 years ago. I decided to go with clipping over coiling because I am a worrier. I knew that "what if" would cause me anxiety every day. At the time of surgery I was a healthy 37 year old, so that was a plus for healing. I met with the coiling surgeon, as well as my surgeon who clipped my aneurysm. This allowed me to ask questions and make a decision based on what I felt was best for me. I would recommend meeting both to feel comfortable with your decision.

It was a very scary time for me choosing to have this major surgery, but I had a wonderful surgeon that took good care of me. I was in the hospital 4 days, and back to work in 6 weeks part time. I was mainly very tired, and had to stay on top of pain meds, otherwise I would hurt.

I hope this is helpful, and I wish you the best of luck with what ever decision you make.

Becky

Fiona,

in my situation, the coils worked great for me for three full years-no problems what so ever. Then suddenly a pain so harsh it put me on the ground -- out of no where -- and I thought I had another aneurysm for sure...I fortunately had no new annie, but the coils compacting made me think otherwise! put me back into the hospital, sure didn't see that one coming, and I think thats where I drew the line between coiling and clipping. the compacting coils hit me at a time when I had other things to do--that event really put my life on hold and it honestly ticked me off at the same time. Thats when I decided not to continue to go the route of adding more coils, given the choice...and I was lucky in that the surgeon COULD do a clipping for me (sometimes they can't do a clipping after coils). Having the permanent fix verses the unknown consequences of adding more coils was enough for me to make the decision, and I feel it was one of the best (and most important) decisions i've ever had to make. Best of luck to you, Janet

Fiona...read "Hoping to Inspire "...

Pat

Agreed!