Hey there

I wanted to know how one deals with seeing their loved one go thru all this. This is very hard for me as I am the one having to handle everything. I am not sleeping well but I guess this is normal and got some over-the-counter stuff at the pharmacy. I hope this will help. They did a coil on one but they are unable to get to the second spot unless they do major surgery. They got to the first spot with the angiogram. They are gonna try and see if he can breathe on his own tomorrow but this has been a very bad bleed. Any suggestions because I do not want to have the staff worried about me and my support is limited to online at the moment.

I was kinda hoping for a way to deal with all this in a more healthy manner rather than going to medications. There has got to be some way that ppl do it, isnt there - or does everyone go on the meds??

Jim Fitzpatrick said:

I had a bad bleed, on a breathing tube, and coiled…There is also a 2nd aneurysm that they left alone…Much of the medications I was on has an amnesic effect…I remember NOTHING…I also had several complications that I also do not remember…

You must remember, I had nurses, doctors, medications, and a bed 24/7. My wife and family had me…

I have also said many times, I think it is harder on the family than on the patient…It is very important that you realize that YOU are very important to your husband’s recovery, and you require rest, some relaxation, and time to yourself.

Maybe you should talk to YOUR Doctor and get a relaxer (Paxil, etc) for a short period of time…Remember, a rupture is a family affair and, as such, you also may require medical attention

yah thats what some of my online friends said to me so ive been listening to stuff on utube because thats handy. It knocks me out for about an hour then he gets integrated into my dream and i wake up. I did look at the hospital for a support group and didnt find one on the list. Do they sometimes have more groups than they list on their things? He is at harborview.

Pooh said:

I was kinda hoping for a way to deal with all this in a more healthy manner rather than going to medications. There has got to be some way that ppl do it, isnt there - or does everyone go on the meds??

Jim Fitzpatrick said:
I had a bad bleed, on a breathing tube, and coiled…There is also a 2nd aneurysm that they left alone…Much of the medications I was on has an amnesic effect…I remember NOTHING…I also had several complications that I also do not remember…

You must remember, I had nurses, doctors, medications, and a bed 24/7. My wife and family had me…

I have also said many times, I think it is harder on the family than on the patient…It is very important that you realize that YOU are very important to your husband’s recovery, and you require rest, some relaxation, and time to yourself.

Maybe you should talk to YOUR Doctor and get a relaxer (Paxil, etc) for a short period of time…Remember, a rupture is a family affair and, as such, you also may require medical attention

Hello Pooh,

What you are feeling is very natural and there are successful techniques. I recommend that you read the easy and comprehensive book titled “Stroke and The Family: A New Guide”, by Joel Stein, MD. It covers your concerns and much more. Read in particular pages 9-11, the section titled “Family Response To Stroke” where amongst other suggestions he outlines the following: 1) Educate yourself, 2) Accept Uncertainty, 3) Support the Stroke Survivor, and 4) Take care of yourself.

Good luck…Harold Fernández

In addition to my previous reply, see also the excellent chaters 8 & 9, respectively titled, “Impact on Marriage and Relationships” & “Impact on Children and Family”.

Blessings,

Harold Fernandez

Hey this is old! I’m closing it.