Headaches

I am one year post annie and still suffer from severe headaches. Does anyone have anything that has worked for them that in not addicting. Also suffer numbness in right hand and foot.

I'd like to know the answer to this too. I have severe headaches every day. I also have some numbness on my left but I'm more concerned with my headaches. My doctor put me on gabapentin. It's not helping. The only thing that helps somewhat is oxycodene. Also, do I tell my doctor that without sounding like a drug addict? I only take one when I just can't take it anymore. So one in a day, every once in a while two. But I don't get them legally and I can't afford to keep buying them. It would be different if the doctor prescribed them, then it would be covered by insurance. But I'm scared to tell him and I don't know if I should tell him. I would love to know if anyone has had something that worked for their headaches.

I was on gabapentin but did not help either. I am on prescribed hydrocodiene and need to take 2-3 daily to manage pain but does not entirely go away. Please if anyone has help let us know. When did you have your annie?

Two-three a day would be more helpful. One just doesn't really cut it. I helps but not for long. Did your doctor just prescribed it to you or did you have to ask? Also, curious, what dosages were you on with the gabapentin?

I suffer from bad headaches/migraines about one or two times a month coiling...for me...if I feel it coming on ... I take feriocet for about 2 days and rid the headache ... along with ice packs ... daily I take a Bp medication that also helps with the headaches that could be daily and Thank God are not...~ Colleen

It was prescribed while I was in the hospital and then my local doctor continued with the plan. He is currently trying some other options but nothing else seems to work and I know at some point he will stop prescribing as it is very addicting. I would like to be able to manage my headaches without meds or at least very little. I took 200 mg three times a day.

What is Feriocet?

Cindy, I tried amitryptiline for a while and then topomax both of them worked about the same but had different side effects. They were used as preventative medication. I went from having migraines 5-6 days/week to 5-6/month. My neurologist told me about Botox Treatments for migraines. I decided after a couple of months that I didn't want to deal with the side effects from the medication and agreed to give it a try. I can now say that I get a headache 3-4 times in a 3 month period and usually don't need to even take tylenol for the headaches. I go in every 3 months for a treatment and I have been very happy with the results. This may be something that you would like to discuss with a neurologist. Insurance usually requires that you have tried 2 preventative medications that haven't gotten rid of the migraines. I sure hope that something works for you - it is hard to function with a migraine.

Take Care,

~ Carol

What type of side of effects were you having with the two meds?

Hi Cindy...I spelled it incorrectly...here tells you about the medication...you have to worry about getting rebound headaches...but I am careful not to take too much...

Here is information on it from Drugs.com / fioricet (it has been around for along time)

http://www.drugs.com/fioricet.html

I just got of the phone with my doctor's office and was speaking to a girl who had an aneurysm back in 1999 and still suffers from headaches. She told me her doctor has her on cocktail of imitrex, reglan and naproxen. I looked them up. Imitrex is actually for headaches. It will only treat a headache that has already begun (won't prevent them from happening). Reglan, oddly, is for heartburn? And of course, naproxen is an NSAID.

What are those two medications? They don't come up on drugs.com.

Thank you, I am willing to try anything.

Thank you

topamax and amitryptiline

I found Amitriptyline (different spelling) but that is an antidepressant, not a headache medicine. Is that correct?

yes

Cindy, amitryptiline caused me to gain weight quite rapidly and topamax gave a really bad taste and also caused sexual dysfunction. I was already getting headaches from intimacy as well as chest pain. The last thing I wanted was for things to not work properly.
~ Carol

Amitryptiline was found to also help the pain receptors. Several neurologists prescribe it for headaches and cardiologists prescribe it for angina.

Amitriptyline is used for neuralgia (nerve pain) and as a preventative for migraine. Its original licence was for depression, but they found the patients migraine and nerve pains got better. It is used at much lower doses when used for pain and therefore has far fewer side effects than are indicated in the drug information which is all about using it at antidepressant doses. Other tricyclic antidepressants may have the same effect. It has fallen out of use for depression here in the UK as the newer antidepressants are more effective and have fewer side effects. It is however widely used for pain. I requested it for my post coiling trigeminal nerve pain and migraine like headaches. It hasn't quite eliminated my pain, but almost.