Got to make a decision

Hi and happy and healthy new year to you all, I live in kent in the united kingdom, I have been told by my neurosurgeon at kings college hospital that I have 5 brain aneurysms, 4 of which they are not concerned about at the moment and they recommend to watch and wait. The one aneurysm that is of concern is on the right mca which is irregular in shape and contour and 7mm in size, when I recently had an angiogram it showed that the aneurysm has two out poutchings/weak spots with in it and also another weak point along the same artery a short distance away and on the branch of another artery. Because of the irregular shape and contour the neurosurgeon recommends a clipping open brain surgery. After some discussion the neurosurgeon has left me to make a decision to have surgery or wait. I have got to go back to kings college london on the 7th of jan 2014 to make a decision. At the moment I really dont know what to do, I am very worried about complications if things go wrong whilst having surgery, but at the same time I am also worried if the aneurysm ruptured if I left the surgery would I be in a worse situation. If anyone can give me any guidance and help it would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Hi John...almost like "do and your damned and damned if you don't"...I have no words of wisdom because I had no choice...however like Angie said..."You must be comfortable with your decision..."...and know I will send a little prayer to you...to help to make your decision...Keep us posted...~ Colleen

John, I had an irregular shaped aneurysm with another one coming off of the back of it (surgeon didn't see that in any of the images). I was given a 6% risk of rupture in the next 6 mos. I chose to have the surgery sooner than later. My surgery was done 3.5 weeks after the angiogram to determine rather it could be coiled or clipped. I had hemorrhaged during the clipping surgery and my surgeon told my husband that by having the surgery the day we did, we avoided a catastrophic failure. I am very thankful that we were able to have the surgery when we did. We had no idea of the other aneurysm off of the back of the one I had, surgeon saw it once he was in there to do the clipping. I learned of the hemorrhages that I had 2 days after my surgery. I strongly believe I wouldn't be here to share my story if I had waited. If you choose to do the clipping surgery, what is the likelihood that any of the others can be clipped at the same time? I know that they are small but if they are large enough and in the same vicinity they can clip small ones as well. My concern would be that you have the out pouchings and weak spots. I pray for peace for you as you make this decision over the next few days.

God Bless,

~ Carol

Hi carol, thanks for the info, my surgeon has told me that here in the uk they dont attempt to do any surgery on any aneurysms unless they are 7mm or larger, I think its to do with risk factors, I know that I have 1x right mca= 7mm, 1x left mca = 3mm, 1x basilar, 1x anterior communicating, and 1x pericllosal aneurysms, I belive the last three are aprox 2mm in size. It seems to me that in the states they operate on many more aneurysms, especially those of any size. Is this because of insurance to do with health care. I am glad you have had a posative outcome to do with your surgery, and wish you a speedy recovery. Thanks john.

Hi colleen, thanks for your reply.

Hi John

I am from UK. Its so difficult to know what to do and I really feel for you being in this situation. I didn't have much time to think when my aneurysm was diagnosed and it was necessary to have it treated before it did any more damage as it had grown to giant size.

If I was in your position I would opt for treatment because I couldn't live with the anxiety of the "time bomb" in my head. All surgery has its risks and in the UK surgeons have to tell you pre-op of every possible consequence of surgery. They do however have a better chance of success when they are treating people in a planned surgery rather than in an emergency.

I wish you well on your journey. No-one can make this decision for you and whatever you do will be the right thing.

Love and blessings Jennifer x

Hi, I just had my clipping surgery in November. While my dr said the choice for surgery or not was mine, I knew I had to do it. The surgery was successful but recovery is long. Once I knew I had an aneurysm it was tough psychologically. I wondered every day if today was the day it would burst. That’s why I made the risky decision to have surgery… I knew I couldn’t live everyday wondering if it were my last.
I hope this helps some.

Hi John,

If I were in your shoes...I think I'd opt for the clipping sooner rather then later, as a ruptured annie is about the last thing you'd want to experience, and from the sounds of things the doctors seem to place some urgency on this as well....I've experienced emercency surgery for an unruptured annie, as well as an sah 8 years later from another...then a clipping in 2010...all in all, the clippings were much easier to recover from then the sah ever was--(so yes I'd go for the clipping surgery!)

Peace to you as you make this decision, Janet